Tallahassee: Restaurants

Florida

I wonder if anything is going to be developed were Barn-hills use to be on the corner of Magnolia and Apalachee Parkway? It was kinda strange after they closed, the building wasn't demolished or torn down, it was taken apart, which I found kinda odd? Any one have any insight on this?

And has any one been to the New Sonny's BBQ on Capital Circle? Is it basically just more of the same?

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

B'boom/mracca yes the old Barnhills location is going to be a Walgreens. Besides it must be a Walgreens b/c of the state law that requires where is a CVS a Walgreens must be in sight and vice-versa. :)

Olebiker thanks for that confirmation about The Wharf. The other day when I drove by, I thought they looked closed. That family (Duggar) should just give up in the restaurant biz. First they had the The Wharf out on the Parkway that mysteriously burned. Then they moved to Timberlane where the Hourglass is now and had that crazy fiasco w/the furniture "stealing." Then they opened up Manna (where the Wharf was currently) and that didn't go so well so they turned it into The Wharf again and now it's closing. After that many tries, they should just hang it up IMHO.

B'boom/mracca yes the old Barnhills location is going to be a Walgreens. Besides it must be a Walgreens b/c of the state law that requires where is a CVS a Walgreens must be in sight and vice-versa. :)

Olebiker thanks for that confirmation about The Wharf. The other day when I drove by, I thought they looked closed. That family (Duggar) should just give up in the restaurant biz. First they had the The Wharf out on the Parkway that mysteriously burned. Then they moved to Timberlane where the Hourglass is now and had that crazy fiasco w/the furniture "stealing." Then they opened up Manna (where the Wharf was currently) and that didn't go so well so they turned it into The Wharf again and now it's closing. After that many tries, they should just hang it up IMHO.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I tried a new restaurant on Mahan over the weekend. It is called Papa D's Diner (aka Papa D's Bar and Grill). It is located in the old Antique Car Museum location across from the new McDonalds on Mahan. There used to be an Irish Pub there as well, but the owner of Papa D's apparently acquired this parcel and has kept it as a bar while the corner parcel has become the diner. My wife had the sliders, and while they were ok, I have had better elsewhere. However, I tried their Smashburger which was an Angus burger with your choice of 3 mashins; your choice of cheese; and the typical toppings. The choice of mashins was from a list of about 15 or so and included things like pepperoni, fried pickles, chopped hot dogs, and more. I did enjoy this smashburger myself. They do have a decent size menu and a breakfast menu which includes all you can eat pancakes. They just opened about a week ago and plan to have a grand opening April 4. Hopefully they will incorporate some decor into the place by then.

Good scoop Scubaboy. I had heard there was a new diner opening up on that side of town, but I wasn't sure where. Just curious if this is what I'd call a real diner? Like the ones that dominant the Northeast. Having sliders and an extensive menu is a step in the right direction. Did you happen to catch their hours? Generally diners are open for long hours and some 24 hours. While diners aren't overly decorated, they tend to often have a theme to them. I'm sort of spooked by your sentence about them not having much decor. Was the place just barren except for tables and booths?

Also have you been to the new Wharf Express? If so how was it and do they places to sit inside or is it take out only? I ask that b/c the place seems so small from the outside.

Good scoop Scubaboy. I had heard there was a new diner opening up on that side of town, but I wasn't sure where. Just curious if this is what I'd call a real diner? Like the ones that dominant the Northeast. Having sliders and an extensive menu is a step in the right direction. Did you happen to catch their hours? Generally diners are open for long hours and some 24 hours. While diners aren't overly decorated, they tend to often have a theme to them. I'm sort of spooked by your sentence about them not having much decor. Was the place just barren except for tables and booths?

Also have you been to the new Wharf Express? If so how was it and do they places to sit inside or is it take out only? I ask that b/c the place seems so small from the outside.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Anthony's Italian looks closed. The place was almost dark, and the sign with hours of operation was gone. I looked for an article in the Democrat, but I did not see one. The tables were all set when I looked through the window.

If this is true, I will miss Anthony's. The Mediterranean Shrimp was fantastic when they were on. However, I think they forgot the sauce (with lime juice I think) the last time we ordered this dish about 2 weeks ago.

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed that Bella Bella on Monroe has had some expansion. They also have a enw sign as well. This is a good Italian restraunt. Not the best mind you, but a good one.

Oh, and Pappa Smokes is now moved next door and they have another shop at the Art Park, (were First Fridays are held). :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

I may be just talking to myself on this site anymore but I had a neat thought.

I would like to see the Old Capital City Bank in the Corner of Monroe and Tennessee turned into a Cheesecake Factory. I know thats never going to happen anytime soon, but the size, location and layout kinda remind me of the CCF on South Florida. Its a perfect spot downtown spot, has ample parking, convenient to Tallahassee visitors (with the big hotels nearby).

Any thoughts?

I may be just talking to myself on this site anymore but I had a neat thought.

I would like to see the Old Capital City Bank in the Corner of Monroe and Tennessee turned into a Cheesecake Factory. I know thats never going to happen anytime soon, but the size, location and layout kinda remind me of the CCF on South Florida. Its a perfect spot downtown spot, has ample parking, convenient to Tallahassee visitors (with the big hotels nearby).

Any thoughts?

I noticed that Bella Bella on Monroe has had some expansion. They also have a enw sign as well. This is a good Italian restraunt. Not the best mind you, but a good one.

Oh, and Pappa Smokes is now moved next door and they have another shop at the Art Park, (were First Fridays are held). :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...
I hope that Bella Bella is handicapped accessible. We have driven in front of the restaurant and could see no ramp. I didn't drive to the back. I can't imagine a restaurant not providing access. My wife and I will make a try to get into this highly recommended restaurant.

My 2 favorite restaurants of late are A La Provence in Market Square and Z. Bhardi's in Killearn Lakes (across from Target and Publix on Thomasville). The bread, desserts, and coffee are first-clas at A La Provence. The new pastry chef is great.

The entrees are fantastic at Z. Bhardi's. I recommend the crabcakes, Seafood Lasagne, and Shrimpt Zeke. The deck is a great place to eat if the temperatures are not extreme.

I tried Masa last week for dinner and lunch. I thought dinner (Stir-fried noodles with beef, chicken, and shrimp) was very good. Lunch was not as good. Lunch seemedm more like a typical Chinese restaurant.

Georgio's still has great food. I love the Beef Stroganoff and Blackened Tuna.

I haven't been back to Food Glorious Food in the last 2 months. I miss Anthony's.

Archived