Tallahassee: Restaurants

Florida

:sick: Rye Bread is pretty nasty in general, so don't go judging the place just on that. :sick:

I like thier turkey club flatten sandwitch (can't remember their fancy name for them).

Good to know its not just me who hates Rye. I can't believe people actually prefer that type of bread. Where did they get their taste buds?!?!

Is this flat sandwitch similar to a Cuban?

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like rye, but only for certain types of sandwiches, mainly corned beef, tuna or chix salad.

I've not been to ABC in over a year. AiT is right, the place is usually a dirty mess and the prices are too high for that type of atmosphere. I also loathe the intercom system they use to call you up for your sandwich. I think ABC will have a hard time once Panera comes rolling in.

Good to know its not just me who hates Rye. I can't believe people actually prefer that type of bread. Where did they get their taste buds?!?!

Is this flat sandwitch similar to a Cuban?

Yes, they actually have Cuban as an option. This sandwitch has turkey, bacon, cheese, and other stuff (no pickle thank god. I like pickles but people but pickles on the strangest things). It comes with a side of Honey mustard dipping sauce.

Darn, now I'm craving one. :)

Next time, if the sandwich you want comes on rye bread, ask for them to put it on a different type.

Yes, they actually have Cuban as an option. This sandwitch has turkey, bacon, cheese, and other stuff (no pickle thank god. I like pickles but people but pickles on the strangest things). It comes with a side of Honey mustard dipping sauce.

Darn, now I'm craving one. :)

Next time, if the sandwich you want comes on rye bread, ask for them to put it on a different type.

That Honey mustard dipping souce (like a Yorker) does sound good... I'll have to try that.

I like rye, but only for certain types of sandwiches, mainly corned beef, tuna or chix salad.

I've not been to ABC in over a year. AiT is right, the place is usually a dirty mess and the prices are too high for that type of atmosphere. I also loathe the intercom system they use to call you up for your sandwich. I think ABC will have a hard time once Panera comes rolling in.

My first experience with Atlanta Bread Company was in Boynton Beach. It was a very nice resturant for the price. Mostly older people, Classical Music blaring, nice seating, etc. I was so excited when the one in Tallahassee opened. And they the did a review in the FSView. :(

Not sure if you know or not, but one of our clients is a local restaurant that is exporting to other areas of the state. Bagel Bagel, which has 4 locations in Tally, is now open in Jacksonville, and has locations opening in Tampa and Ft. Lauderdale in the next few months.

Also, Po' Boys, yet another one of our clients, already has franchised locations in Tampa/Brandon, Jacksonville, Gainesville, Athens, GA, and soon in Orlando.

I think it is nice to see some concepts start in Tallahassee and do well elsewhere in the region. Of course, it is also nice to do all of the work that comes along with that expansion!

My job is to make sure people know that bagels, despite their name and heritage, represent only about 5% of what is good there.

If you haven't before (or lately), you must try to the TBCC and Wine & Cheese sandwiches. mmmm..... I think am going to go get one right now.

A Mexican Restaurant will replace old Village Inn on North Monroe

Anyone heard what this will be? Chain or Locally Owned?

Juana said in the paper this morning that it is a local owner. Someone who already is running another mexican restaurant in town...

They are due to make an announcement within a week or two.

I've never heard of Liam's. Anyone care to share what's on the menu?

the menu changes from time to time... last time i went i had seared tuna... it's all done quite nicely. another cool thing about Liam's is that it's BYOB. they charge you a small "corking fee" but it beats paying $7+ per glass. check it out.

a mexican place instead of the village inn? nice, that area of town needs a good mexican place.

the menu changes from time to time... last time i went i had seared tuna... it's all done quite nicely. another cool thing about Liam's is that it's BYOB. they charge you a small "corking fee" but it beats paying $7+ per glass. check it out.

a mexican place instead of the village inn? nice, that area of town needs a good mexican place.

I sure hope it doesn't look sloppy when completed. I know that current location is going to need some serious renovating if they want it to be successful. I hope they don't just move in and change the signs, usually thats what we get when locals take over.

I like restaurants that aren't chains, too, but I sure miss some of the places where I could get a megacalorie meal that hit the spot and for cheap. Jacksonville does have a Guthrie's (even though it's not Tallahassee-grown) and Bagel Bagel now. I'd like a Gumby's, too, for their rolls. I used to visit Po' Boys about once every two weeks, but I don't know where it is in Jacksonville. On the flip side, The Loop is a Jacksonville original. :P

^I miss the El Maya that used to be on John Knox and I hear that there's a new Mexican place in Monticello that's supposed to be good (anyone been there yet that can make a recommendation?). But my favorite Mexican Restaurant in Tallahassee is the La Hacienda on Bannerman. From simple tacos to high-end dinners, the food is wonderful, the deck is awesome, margaritas rock, the service never fails to impress - it's totally worth the trip north of town. San Miguel on Tharpe ain't bad either.

The Mexican place in Monticello is outstanding, it's called Rancho Grande I believe. I can't believe I forgot to menttion that in my favs list! It is on North Cherry Street up from where the library used to be in the building next to Bush Baby. It is rather small 10 booths and maybe 5 tables but the food is great. It is usually very busy towards the end of the week. I am not sure how it does for lunch since I work in Tallahassee. If you go there, try the chile rellenos... a whole hot pepper stuffed with meat and cheese and covered in a tomato sauce... it is delicious & spicy.

After reading that I'm tempted to make a short trip over to Monticello to try things out.

Meanwhile has anyone been to Nino's on 27. My dad says the place has been here since we came to Tallahassee over 17 years ago and he's yet to try it. The food must be good because they're still in business. Can you all give me the run down on the place?

It is a very nice local place. Very cozy. They have a good selecton of italian and german cuisine. It is a little pricey, though.

the food is very good and they used to have a special... if you ate before 5:30 or 6:00 (can't remember exactly) you could get two meals for $30.00, which isn't bad considering it's a pretty nice place.

A Few Updates......

First, Huston's Oven & Grille in SouthWood....I spoke with the owner, Ray Huston (The Loop), last night. He said some permitting issues had pushed him back a bit but he's now planning for a mid-February opening. All of his kitchen equipment is being installed this week. He said the hours will be 10 AM-10 PM, 7 days a week with "Redican's Pub" staying open after the restaurant closes, at least until 11 PM or later, based on volume/demand. It's really taking shape inside & looks like it will be a very nice addition to our community.

I also spoke to the owner of Sharkey's Coffee Bistro in SouthWood, Jeff Sharkey, who said his business has been slow but continues to grow each week as the word get's out about the place. He knew it would be slow to start with but the future potential of the place still excites him. By the way, they've got great sandwiches & desserts & they offer much more than just coffee. Free Wi-Fi & a very friendly staff also!

Also, Quizno's has filed a permit for opening another location in the Cross Creek Plaza at the corner of Apalachee Parkway & Capital Circle. I drove through there but couldn't find anyone to speak with for more details.

Archived