Tallahassee: Restaurants

Florida

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we already have two steak chain stores close by on Monroe...Roadhouse and Longhorn. There are some chain Tex-mex places close by too...On the Border, El Chico. What we don't have is a quality Chinese restaurant in that immediate area. We need a Pei Wei...its a fast casual spin off of PF Changs. Right now they are very West Coast oriented. Their first restaurant in Florida opens in May in Wellington.

OH URBAN PLANET GOD, BRING US A PEI WEI TO BREAK THE CURSE ON THIS N MONROE LOCATION!

On my way out of town yesterday, I noticed that the Italian Pie restaurant on North Monroe is now closed. I figured that was going to happen since the food and the service at that location was dismal. Can anyone report on the status of the better operated original Italian Pie on CC? Is it still open w/business as usual?

I think that location (Italian Pie on North Monroe) is cursed. Several restaurants have come and gone from the location. It seems like w/the right people/restaurant that location would be a gold mine. The visiblity is good, the ingress/egress is pretty good, there's tons of parking and there's a large working population behind them (BPR/DCF) for the all important Tally lunch crowd. Wonder what gives and why no one can seem to make this location work?

When did Italian Pie close? I've only been there once, for a going-away part for a co-worker, and it gave me the nastiest acid-reflux I've ever had in my life! Their tiramisu was to die for though :D

When did Italian Pie close? I've only been there once, for a going-away part for a co-worker, and it gave me the nastiest acid-reflux I've ever had in my life! Their tiramisu was to die for though :D

It's only been in the last week or so.

I saw that too about the old D.D. But last night as I drove by I saw workers in there. They looked like they were painting but at 30 mph it's hard to tell even if you aren't driving. So I'm not sure if they were just taking down stuff from the old place or already in the process of fixing it up for something else?????

It's another donut place (Donuts Delight). They should have just sucked it up and paid Dunkin Donut's franchise fee, since what they have now is not any better than Publix or Albertsons.

yea LoL... tallahassee is crazy..... we definately dont overbuild thats something I like...... cause whenever a restaurant opens people flock to it for months before it dies down..

• 3 weeks later...

Nice Picture TJ.. But am I the only one who thought that they could have spared more threes? Kinda sad. I always thought it was cool how the Tallahassee Mall was hidden by nature. I hope this is not a growing trend for the Governers Square Mall.

Im sorry not the Tallahassee Mall but the Governers Square Mall. I teach a lot of civil engineers and landscape artist from South Florida who have never been to this area before, And one of the first thing I hear when they are visiting the area is how Tallahassee loves keeping everything looking natural and lush and for example how the Governers Square Mall is behind a lush wall of trees that seperates it from the highway. That is something that is rare in South Florida.. Like the Adventura mall of Saw Grass Mills Mall. THe trees are torn down and replaced by tooth-pick palm trees that are lucky if they survive hurrican season. So that is what I mean by nature and North Florida not following the same trend as South Florida.

O one one more thing its's not Mr. Acca... lol!! its Mike Racca :D

Im sorry not the Tallahassee Mall but the Governers Square Mall. I teach a lot of civil engineers and landscape artist from South Florida who have never been to this area before, And one of the first thing I hear when they are visiting the area is how Tallahassee loves keeping everything looking natural and lush and for example how the Governers Square Mall is behind a lush wall of trees that seperates it from the highway. That is something that is rare in South Florida.. Like the Adventura mall of Saw Grass Mills Mall. THe trees are torn down and replaced by tooth-pick palm trees that are lucky if they survive hurrican season. So that is what I mean by nature and North Florida not following the same trend as South Florida.

I agree with this statement. I love the trees and green space. However in recent developments, I have seen the "clear it and plant crap later" method coming to Tallahassee. I hate it when I see this area picking up bad South Florida habits...

However, the Turbocorp building seems to have keep as many of the trees on the lot as possible. :)

Edited to add: though most of the time in South Florida, there really aren't many trees worth keeping. The exotic problem is horrible down there... :(

:blush: I'm sorry! I've been messing up this whole time Mike!!!

I agree. I think Governor's square mall developer did a good job preserving the natural beauty around the mall.

That said, I have no problem with clear cutting and using Palms and other different types of plants.

Looks like there is an opening in NE Tally for triple fried chicken and heart clogging fries.

Guthries (Timberlane) and Buffalo's (Market) have both closed.

I can bet this is not due to lack of business, because both are always swamped.... corporate level.

Gutherie's has THE WORST customer service in this entire city when it comes to food. Especially the one on Tennessee Street.

I saw the Dave's sign also. Didn't know we were getting a BBQ place, I liked the look of Tia's, too bad we couldn't get a mexican restaurant to move in its place.

^While I'm indifferent about us getting ANOTHER BBQ place in town, the other type of food this town seems to be swamped with is Mexican Food. I would have like to have seen something different here at this location in the line of a hip trendy joint or even a Sweet Tomatoes. I also noticed on my last sojourn out to Capital Circle NE that the old Fazolli's has been sold. Wonder what will pop up there? Anyone know?

I'm surprised that Guthrie's is closing in Killearn. I've seen in a few towns where they are expanding and moving into these new areas. Are you sure they are closed JBarber? Only reason I ask is b/c last year I thought the same thing b/c their front grass was very high and their lights were off. I soon found out that they were just negligent in their lawn care and that out in the hinterlands they close early.

I'm surprised that Guthrie's is closing in Killearn. I've seen in a few towns where they are expanding and moving into these new areas. Are you sure they are closed JBarber? Only reason I ask is b/c last year I thought the same thing b/c their front grass was very high and their lights were off. I soon found out that they were just negligent in their lawn care and that out in the hinterlands they close early.

Right you are poonther. Guthries is open today. One day last week (maybe Wednesday) they were closed in the middle of the day - I figured they were done. They must have gone fishing.

Archived