The Armory Thread

Liamlunchtray

I worry about upkeep too Cotuit. I dont know why the WBNA only has a one-a-year cleanup. 2-3 are sorely needed. Not enough businesses on Broadway/Westminster yet to support a DID, I guess, but one is needed for this area. Wonder if Atwells, Broadway, and Westminster could team up?

organizing cleanups doesn't have to be done by neighborhood groups. Just regular neighborhood people can organize one! Everyone shows up with a bag of trash bags and some gloves and off you go. The only thing you have to do is let DPW know that you'll have a ton of full garbage bags so they can send over a truck to pick them up. It certainly is an excellent way to put ones money where ones mouth is. :lol:

One year i organized "Mulch Madness" where we walked Broadway from Engle Tire all the way to the Rt 10 Over pass and weeded all the tree wells and mulched them (until we ran out of mulch). It was a good time. Hot, though, and i don't recommend any neighborhood clean up when you have a hangover.

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont know too many people yet in the neighborhood. However, my neighbor and I weeded and mulched our street trees and swept and cleaned the sidewalks last weekend. Felt good.

I like the mulch madness idea.

I know you dont need a neighborhood group to do it. I am just too busy to organize something on my own, but always find the time to participate....

Ask those guys how hard it was to get a trash can on the street. Some of the neighborhood crazies (not me, btw) balked at anything other than an historic trash can.

Duh, drug dealers hide in non-historic trash bins, and behind trees, and in parked cars. And if you have a non-historic trash bin on your street, Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy will skip your house.

I dont know too many people yet in the neighborhood.

I know you dont need a neighborhood group to do it. I am just too busy to organize something on my own, but always find the time to participate....

Dude, half of the Providece UP lives up here. :lol: Pick a date, a time and a coupla streets to target and we can make it an UP event.

Here are some responses I've recently recieved from Kari Lang from the WBNA regarding work on Broadway/Westminter infrastructure, tress in the park and the WBNA project at 1577 Westminster. Sounds like they are trying, but have encountered holdups:

Broadway timeframe is a way off. I keep asking the RIDOT and the city about

starting the planning and work and am getting nowhere so far. I am thinking

more and more that we need to build a WBNA subcommittee to advocate on these

infrastructure projects. I know bureaucracy between city, state, and

planning consultants slows things down, but this is beyond ridiculous. The

Westminster Street project was begun in 1998 and the WBNA raised the

majority of the $2.2 million dollars for this project; we don't want to lose

this money and we want to see our project built. It is very frustrating.

It was supposed to finally be bid and built this spring and the latest

slowdown comes from Katrina. It would be wonderful if you could call Rep.

Costantino, Rep. Williams, Sen. Caprio, Council President Lombardi, Thom

Deller, and the Mayor and ask what the hold up is. (and ask others to do so

as well). The tree planting in the park shows that it is possible to do

things efficiently and well.

We are hoping to start construction on 1577 Westminster Street project this

construction season. We are a finalist on a UW grant that would fund the

inclusion of a retail space for Urban Greens Cooperative on the ground floor

of 1577 Westminster Street. We are very excited about this element and so

hope we get the grant.

Thanks.

Kari

Kari Nel Lang, Executive Director

West Broadway Neighborhood Association

1560 Westminster Street

Providence, RI 02909

www.wbna.org

On tree maintenance in Dester Park....personally, I think Friends of Dexter Park is an excellent idea.

Maintenance is a concern on any of these planting and infrastructure projects and we always try to take it into account during the planning process; however, we don't think it should stop us from doing projects. It simply behooves WBNA and neighbors to advocate that much louder and that much more persistently to the City about their responsibilities in regard to maintenance.

Specifically, in regard to the trees at the park, the contract we have with the contractor (who happens to be one of the best we've ever seen - they correctly installed the trees, staked, mulched and even watered them! this, of course, should be normal operating procedures, but frankly hasn't been in the past. so even this is exciting) stipulates that for one year they are responsible for the health of the trees and if any do not survive they are responsible for replacing them. Damage from vandalism does not count and so we ask users of the park to help us in being "eyes on the trees" and speaking up if you see someone being "disrespectful" to the trees.

We also have a maintenance fund set aside here at the WBNA for longer term maintenance of the trees. We certainly could use some help if there is any interest from neighbors on forming a sort of "Friends of the Park" group. We have an active membership, an outstanding board, and wonderful helpers, but still our day-to-day staff is two and we do our best to both get things done and communicate to the community. You can see we make slow, steady progress on both sides. Your assistance with the park would be much appreciated. Ordering dog bags, monitoring playground equipment condition, watching out for the trees, etc. are some of the things a friends groups could assist with...

Thanks for your interest, concern, and membership.

Kari

Do I remember correctly that each region of the city has a Providence Planning Dept member devoted to it? If so, who is Broadway/Atwell's member overseeing the area?

Bonnie Nickerson is the planner who covers the Federal Hill Neighborhood. 401-351-4300 ext 534 or [email protected].

FYI, the WBNA annual Spring Clean-up is Saturday, April 22. I am not sure of the times, I think it starts at 8:00 a.m. or so, with folks meeting in the park. They are currently looking for block captains. Unfortunately, I'll be out of town, I'm bummed I'll miss it.

Last year the WBNA organized a second fall clean-up in September, which did not seem to attract the same number of folks as the Spring one.

A coupla quick notes...

1. Putting the exterior up on the parkside funeral home in the back. Sunny yellow wood siding. At least it looks like wood, I'll be so pissed if it turns out to be vinyl. They also put trim around the windows to break it up bit. Cant say i love it, but I dont hate it. And if it is wood, thats a plus and shows they did it right.

2. Noticed a sign on the row of brownstones on Broadway between Marshall and Courtland. I always liked these and they are pretty rare in Providence. Anyway, sign says "Luxury Condominiums - 299K" Guess these are getting redone. They need some exterior work, no idea what they look like on the inside.

And I was so fearful that the immigration rally would trample the newly planted trees in the armory park. Thousands of pissed off people and tender new trees do not usually mix well, but it looks like the trees made it through okay. At least what I could tell from my walk in the park.

Does anyone know if the disposable vinyl condos to be installed next to the old Fire Station on Pallas Street at Vernon Street were approved by the Zoning Board of Review?

The ZBR approved the 3 curb cuts, but not the pavement. The driveway widths had to be reduced to comply the lot coverage and landscaping provisions of the ordinance and the developer will do so. This street is not in a historic district - vinyl is not prohibited.

I think the new Zoning Bylaw needs to address townhouse style developments with driveways below. Victoria Row on Westminster is another example of this type of development on the West Side. Developers and many condo buyers like this design. Personally, I'm not a fan. However, the number of requests for townhouse-garage developments is increasing around the city. I'd much rather see townhouses constructed like row houses with parking behind like the ones on Broadway.

Off topic, but earlier in the week someone mentioned the cladding for the condos in the funeral home on the south side of Westminster. This stretch of Westminster is in the historic district so vinyl is prohibited. I've only seen it from 30 feet away, but I think it is clapboard painted yellow.

The ZBR approved the 3 curb cuts, but not the pavement. The driveway widths had to be reduced to comply the lot coverage and landscaping provisions of the ordinance and the developer will do so. This street is not in a historic district - vinyl is not prohibited.

I think the new Zoning Bylaw needs to address townhouse style developments with driveways below. Victoria Row on Westminster is another example of this type of development on the West Side. Developers and many condo buyers like this design. Personally, I'm not a fan. However, the number of requests for townhouse-garage developments is increasing around the city. I'd much rather see townhouses constructed like row houses with parking behind like the ones on Broadway.

Off topic, but earlier in the week someone mentioned the cladding for the condos in the funeral home on the south side of Westminster. This stretch of Westminster is in the historic district so vinyl is prohibited. I've only seen it from 30 feet away, but I think it is clapboard painted yellow.

Thanks for the info! That's a real shame about Pallas Street. I realize that the subject lot is two lots south of the Browadway Historic District and adjacent to one of the most important buildings on the Industrial and Commercial Buildings historic District, but not actually in either district. Too bad because this type of townhouse is slowing chewing on the soul of Federal Hill, and Providence for that matter.

Nevertheless, It's hard to believe that 3 curb cuts on one lot would ever be allowed in a residential neighborhood. It's like a little touch of Warwick (no offense), in the middle of the City. One curb cut is enough and would force rear yard parking, no? Seems to me like the variance request was the perfect opportunity to urbanize the design.

I think the new Zoning Bylaw needs to address townhouse style developments with driveways below.

If I understand correctly what you're talking about, these are the kinds of townhouse developments plaguing Philadelphia right now. Terrible for a streetscape.

Inga Saffron (the outstanding architecture critic for one of the Philly newspapers) complains about this all of the time:

http://changingskyline.blogspot.com/2005/1...that-wasnt.html

- Garris

Maybe I've overlooked a thread or post on this topic but does anyone know anything more about this:

"First, to make targeted improvements that will encourage needed private investment on the western edge of downtown and across the highway to connect the Downtown with the West Side . The signature improvement is envisioned to be a wide, Ponte Vecchio-style pedestrian walkway across the highway.

And with the help of RISD president Roger Mandle, we will soon announce the details of an international competition to design that bridge, as it is our obligation to ensure that our new projects stand up to the great architectural beauty passed down to us by our ancestors."

From the Mayor's State of the City address 2006

Yeah that was me, I think it is clapboard painted yellow as well. I need to just walk in there, but my dog freaks out whenever I stray from his normal path. :)

Maybe I've overlooked a thread or post on this topic but does anyone know anything more about this:

"First, to make targeted improvements that will encourage needed private investment on the western edge of downtown and across the highway to connect the Downtown with the West Side . The signature improvement is envisioned to be a wide, Ponte Vecchio-style pedestrian walkway across the highway.

And with the help of RISD president Roger Mandle, we will soon announce the details of an international competition to design that bridge, as it is our obligation to ensure that our new projects stand up to the great architectural beauty passed down to us by our ancestors."

From the Mayor's State of the City address 2006

That's the proposed redesign of the Westminster Street bridge over Route 95.

Does anyone have any details on the building that SWAP is building on Westminster? Also - the physical therapy place at the end of Harrison finally has a sign, but alas the spray painted ones are still up as well. I havent heard anything on plans for the other side, but I do know that they turned down a (tasteful) tattoo shop, which I'm kind of bummed about.

They turned down a tattoo shop, but let a "Injury Rehabilitiation Center" go in? One with spraypainted signs and vertical blinds in the window? Oh yeah, and an "Entrance around back" sign? That place pisses me off so much. I saw the sign they put up on saturday, wish it had a real name besides that generic description. Could be a front for a crackhouse for all I know with such a generic business title.

As for the SWAP condos, see the thread I started on it: http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=23517

You can see the renders at the SWAP offices @ 439 Pine Street. I have emailed for an electronic rendering but have not heard back.

Liam's idea of tasteful may differ from mine, but when I think of a tasteful tattoo parlor I think of more of an aesthetically appealing shop. Tasteful tattoo parlors almost look like art galleries and are not in your face with grunginess and lots of neon. Often the front is just like an art galleriy, with tattoo art on the walls and a minimalist design, the real work happens in the back.

Tattoo artists that work in these type of shops dont try to sell tattoos, they do them. It more of an artist's space than a "lets get drunk and get some tattoos" type of joint.

That is my experience, others will be different.

Liam's idea of tasteful may differ from mine, but when I think of a tasteful tattoo parlor I think of more of an aesthetically appealing shop. Tasteful tattoo parlors almost look like art galleries and are not in your face with grunginess and lots of neon. Often the front is just like an art galleriy, with tattoo art on the walls and a minimalist design, the real work happens in the back.

Tattoo artists that work in these type of shops dont try to sell tattoos, they do them. It more of an artist's space than a "lets get drunk and get some tattoos" type of joint.

That is my experience, others will be different.

Thats pretty much what I meant. The shop would not have been a biker kind of place with tons of neon or anything like that. As an example, some friends of mine own a shop in Newport and this is what their waiting area looks like:

insideshop1.jpg

insideshop2.jpg

insideshop4.jpg

insideshop5.jpg

You can still tell it's a tattoo shop, but its certainly more upscale than most.

Thats pretty much what I meant. The shop would not have been a biker kind of place with tons of neon or anything like that. As an example, some friends of mine own a shop in Newport and this is what their waiting area looks like:

You can still tell it's a tattoo shop, but its certainly more upscale than most.

That is exactly what I think of when tasteful tattoo shop comes to mind. The tattoo parlor on Atwells across from Lili Marlene's is not what I think of. I have never been inside, so cant vouch for that, but the place does not look tasteful.

I think that would be a perfect business for that spot if done in the same vein as the one Liam showed. Foot traffic would be good, and if any injuries occur, they can go next door. (just around back) <_<

Archived