Greenville Photo of the Day

NYTransplant

Don't think I go out and take a picture of Greenville every day! :rofl:

Since nobody stepped up to the plate this morning;

Aug 10, 2005

2005-07-30010.jpg

I noticed that all the gorgeous trees in the left (and right?) of this picture have been replaced by other Riverwalk landscaping... is that a good thing? those were some nice trees....

And silly question of the day: Are those man made falls underneath this bridge? if you were to describe those without using the word falls, how would you do it? (I'm looking for a good clue for this bridge) (thanks!)

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I noticed that all the gorgeous trees in the left (and right?) of this picture have been replaced by other Riverwalk landscaping... is that a good thing? those were some nice trees....

And silly question of the day: Are those man made falls underneath this bridge? if you were to describe those without using the word falls, how would you do it? (I'm looking for a good clue for this bridge) (thanks!)

A lot of them were taken out by the December 17th Ice Storm. :cry:

Yes, they are man-made falls...they're actually part dam, part trestle and used to support the old Swamp Rabbit Railroad Bridge, I believe, from what I've seen of historical photos. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. I'd use the term "CASCADE" to describe them maybe?

That is actually a man made dam created to widen the Reedy River behind the Peace Center for the Performing Arts. As RT elluded, it appears that they built it to pay homage to the railroad which once crossed the river.

Like these odd shots off the beating path Beowulf.

Thanks.

I was actually trying to get some shots of the old spring house at Chick Springs. There were No Tresspassing signs everywhere, even on the spring house itself. Didn't make for a very appealing photograph, so I started exploring Taylors.

On second thought, maybe an abandoned textile ill isn't that appealing, either.

Since this was taken in the harsh light of mid-day, I did some color enhancement with Photoshop.

Abandoned Southern Bleachery in Taylors...

149926854_f03f17c238_o.jpg

It isn't totally abandoned, Ultra Pac does stuff there, any time I have gone by their have been people and trucks at the site.

The old Chick Springs spring House area will be renovated and reopened as a park if things going on right now work out.

Edited by btoy

Beautiful!

...I so enjoy your photo of the day. It's grand that South Carolina's major urban centers are unique and so different from each other. I used to think Charleston was the most beautiful. But after seeing these shots of Greenville, I am not so certain if Greenville isn't SC's most urban modern beauty...which is a nice contrast against Charleston's well preserved buildings and excellent harbor views...Charleston's modern buildings are not very attractive IMO and no match against Greenville. However, Charleston's new bridge is a definite jewel...

Edited by Zahc

...I so enjoy your photo of the day. It's grand that South Carolina's major urban centers are unique and so different from each other. I used to think Charleston was the most beautiful. But after seeing these shots of Greenville, I am not so certain if Greenville isn't SC's most urban modern beauty...which is a nice contrast against Charleston's well preserved buildings and excellent harbor views...Charleston's modern buildings are not very attractive IMO and no match against Greenville. However, Charleston's new bridge is a definite jewel...

Thanks for the great compliment of Greenville, Zahc! We'd love to have you visit sometime! :D

Hey Beowulf, INCREDIBLE photos! :thumbsup::thumbsup: