Businesses I would like to see Downtown

ChadKRagland

The coffee thing continues to irk me. When I want to get a coffee quickly in downtown after "normal" business hours, I'm screwed. My office is near the Post Office. During the day, I can get a cup of coffee at 3 or 4 places. After the sun goes down, I have to get on the Lymmo and go a few blocks south to get one.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The coffee thing continues to irk me. When I want to get a coffee quickly in downtown after "normal" business hours, I'm screwed. My office is near the Post Office. During the day, I can get a cup of coffee at 3 or 4 places. After the sun goes down, I have to get on the Lymmo and go a few blocks south to get one.

I guess Aroma Cafe in Thorton Park is a bit far from you then. (but great coffee). :-)

Seriously, how many paint and hardware stores do you find in every neighborhood of inner cities? I don't see that as being an everyday need.

At least one imho. But, you miss the point, shops that may not be an everday need are important to an inner city. How many times do you go to get eyeglasses or contacts, or clothing or any other item you may need to make your life easier? But it would be nice to walk to an optical store, or be able to find a place that sells plungers close by after a huge mexican meal. :wacko: Don't you think that having services and shops would make downtown a more desirable place to live? I long for the day when I can buy a 1985 Yugo to put in my parking space and use it just once a month to visit my parents.

At least one imho. But, you miss the point, shops that may not be an everday need are important to an inner city. How many times do you go to get eyeglasses or contacts, or clothing or any other item you may need to make your life easier? But it would be nice to walk to an optical store, or be able to find a place that sells plungers close by after a huge mexican meal. :wacko: Don't you think that having services and shops would make downtown a more desirable place to live? I long for the day when I can buy a 1985 Yugo to put in my parking space and use it just once a month to visit my parents.
there's an optical store at the corner of 50 and orange, too :-) as for hardware, i've been so thankful for the ace in college park and crossing my fingers that we get one downtown, as well. it's amazing how much stuff they fit in that little place. from air filters to plumbing adapters, i've never gone there and not found what i needed.

Seriously, how many paint and hardware stores do you find in every neighborhood of inner cities? I don't see that as being an everyday need.

Fi on you for putting the image of John Travolta bopping down Orange Ave in my head... I have BeeGees stuck in my head :blink:

But seriously, unless you call a service guy for every little thing, they are quite helpful. Although the big box stores have put the hurt on small scale operations all over.

I think that there should be a store that provides the things that you need on a daily basis within 5 minute walking distance. For the things that you need occasionally, you should be able to get within a couple miles and on a bus route. Right now, the groceries are at Publix (not within normal walking distance unless you live in Colonialtown) or the small place on Church Street. That's only within walking distance of the people that live at CityView. I'll have to admit, though, that your average person is not going to go into that store. I don't even remember the name. It might be Church Street Grocery or something like that.

To find some of these places that you need on specific occasions such as hardware and optical, I think that if it is on a bus route or a block off, then it is OK, but within 1 or 2 bus stops of downtown. You shouldn't have to go 5 or 6 miles.

Since you talk about living downtown, too, when's the last time you used our Lynx bus system? Do you think you will actually use the commuter rail when it is in place or will you use your car? Do you use the free Lymmo service? I'm not trying to attack anyone when I ask these questions either. I just feel a little inspired by the new year and the IBM commercials about ideating and Stop Talking. Start Doing. IBM.

I made one of my new year's resolutions to start using public transportation more. I gave it whirl on New Year's Day. I took the bus down to Best Buy from the CBD. For others that would like to start participating in this city and do more than just talk about it, you can do this by starting your journey at Lynx Central Station. Take the 28 or 29 bus, which travels east on Colonial, and there is a stop across the street in front of the Colonial Promenade. The bus back to downtown has a stop in front of Best Buy right next to KFC.

I used it again on one of my trips to Publix as well. That's a little harder to do on the bus. Groceries take up a lot of space. It was a little harder than a car, but I did it and it gave me a little more exercise than my normal routine. I also started riding my bicycle to work again. Granted, I only have a half mile ride to my office from my home, but I'm trying to practice what I preach.

And for those that were expecting a post about 55W, I just mentioned it.

I think the main reasons is that the condo price is unafforable. If you sell them all under 200K.............

And even if you wanted to live in it for years and didn't plan on 'flipping' it, why spend so much money on something that is depriciating right now? I wouldn't mind living in a high rise but I wouldn't buy into one in this market.

I made one of my new year's resolutions to start using public transportation more. I gave it whirl on New Year's Day. I took the bus down to Best Buy from the CBD. For others that would like to start participating in this city and do more than just talk about it, you can do this by starting your journey at Lynx Central Station. Take the 28 or 29 bus, which travels east on Colonial, and there is a stop across the street in front of the Colonial Promenade. The bus back to downtown has a stop in front of Best Buy right next to KFC.

Good for you. After visiting the Netherlands during New Years I kind of did the same thing. If they can walk and bike in that horrid weather there, I think we can too. I have pissed off my girlfriend more than once insisting that we walk or ride to the neighborhood pizza place or down to the Arena or whatnot but by the time we get back we're glad we at least burned off a few calories and, in the case of the Arena, save some bucks and time in traffic to boot.

It amazes me the people I see in my neighborhood who jump in their cars to go 2 or 3 blocks.

What downtown Orlando needs is a store like Miller's Hardware on Fairbanks in downtown Winter Park. Calling that a place a hardware store is a bit of a misnomer though because they sell small appliances as well as a host of other essential items.

That would be a wonderful plus for the growing population of Condo Commandos in DTO.

I posted basically this same thing over in the 55W. construction thread that has gone a little off topic, but I would love to see in downtown Orlando a store like Miller's Hardware on Fairbanks Av. in downtown Winter Park.

To call it a hardware store is misleading because they carry so many other things such as small appliances, kitchen utensils, etc.

A store like that would be very useful for the coming flood of new residents downtown.

What downtown Orlando needs is a store like Miller's Hardware on Fairbanks in downtown Winter Park. Calling that a place a hardware store is a bit of a misnomer though because they sell small appliances as well as a host of other essential items.

That would be a wonderful plus for the growing population of Condo Commandos in DTO.

I think a good place for a shop like that would be on Colonial drive near Orange Avenue somewhere. They would then get the downtown and uptown residents as well as driving traffic. South Eola, Thornton, and CBD wouldn't sustain a business like that with the rents. Maybe something over in the Parramore area (low rent/payments) once the EW Lymmo Circulator gets running in a few years.

I think a good place for a shop like that would be on Colonial drive near Orange Avenue somewhere. They would then get the downtown and uptown residents as well as driving traffic. South Eola, Thornton, and CBD wouldn't sustain a business like that with the rents. Maybe something over in the Parramore area (low rent/payments) once the EW Lymmo Circulator gets running in a few years.

An Urban Home Depot with the parking garage on top of the store like they have in Wilton Manors would be cool.

They are still planning on opening some this year. Not sure where, supposedly one in Ocoee.
I would be happy to have a newstand that is open early and closes late. Not a BN or Borders but something like you see on the streets in NYC or Chicago. Would be nice to have the International Herald Trib or similar offerings available along with some international mags to choose from.

• 1 year later...

H & M is finally coming to Central Florida, unfortunately not downtown. Two locactions will be opening up in Florida Mall and Seminole Towne Centre. Man I wish they would have put one downtown instead. They could have put it on the first floor of the Vue where Senso was supposed to be. How cool would that have been.

I would be happy to have a newstand that is open early and closes late. Not a BN or Borders but something like you see on the streets in NYC or Chicago. Would be nice to have the International Herald Trib or similar offerings available along with some international mags to choose from.

For many years, there was a small store on Orange Avenue that specialized in out-of-town newspapers and the more eclectic magazines you never much saw even at B&N or Borders (once they got here). It closed a few years back, claiming to be a victim of the internet. It was sad, it was amazing the interesting people you used to see Sunday mornings picking up the news from faraway.

Spent part of last week in downtown Minneapolis. They have the Nicollete Street Mall which was very nice. I think I still prefered Horton Plaza in San Diego. Either way I think downtown Orlando would be wise to try to attract some kind of central shopping district to the downtown area.

I still say Borders would be a great downtown tenet. It would be a great place to kill some time before or after a movie, play, or event at the arena. It seems we have a plethora of eateries but not enough retail. Could it be that The Fashion Square being so close hurts downtown's chances of getting chain retail stores?

• 1 month later...

The problem is that CVS and Walgreens just want to build their regular store, and aren't willing to go into that kind of space anymore. Look at the CVS in downtown St. Pete.

What's wrong with the Walgreens structure at Fairbanks and 17/92?? That would be suitable downtown. And what did happen to the shoppes at he exchange? Victoria's Secret, Limited Express, Express Men The corner drugstore and so on......what happened to change all that? It seemed packed to me, guess they were there for CSS tourists? Surely there are enough permanent residents to support these busisnesses and many more. Eventually the residential towers will fill up if not with purchasers, than renters. Bring Virgin Megastore downtown, that is a destination store! H&M could have skipped Seminole Town Center and gone downtown, too....Let's face it, while above average wealth and a mall sense of fashion (NoMo) (North Seminole) is full of residents that are "afraid" to go downtown and stay up in their Sanford corner. Their is a real sense of "I hate Orlando" up there, and a fear that the Puerto Ricans are going to get them! SoMo is more like Orange county, a little more hip and diverse. I know several of these NoMo Residents that I work with and there really is feeling that they escaped or "white-flighted" the OC.

....what did happen to the shoppes at he exchange? Victoria's Secret, Limited Express, Express Men The corner drugstore and so on......what happened to change all that? It seemed packed to me, guess they were there for CSS tourists? Surely there are enough permanent residents to support these busisnesses and many more. Eventually the residential towers will fill up if not with purchasers, than renters.

I think CityWalk & Downtown Disney happened to them. Once the busloads of tourists stopped coming up here, the business dried up too. And the rents inside that place were exhorbitant. Had all the current new residential highrises been in place & filled up at the time, it may have been a different story.

I think CityWalk & Downtown Disney happened to them. Once the busloads of tourists stopped coming up here, the business dried up too. And the rents inside that place were exhorbitant. Had all the current new residential highrises been in place & filled up at the time, it may have been a different story.

We really need some sort of "anchor" downtown that's open every day and not just the Events Center and PAC. Just can't think of what would work, unless a unique department store maybe, but these aren't times for anything "upscale." What is Dave & Buster's and why doesn't Orlando have one?

Archived