Businesses I would like to see Downtown

ChadKRagland

You're thinking of Manhattan Mall on 34th and Broadway in Herald Square. It was not as successful as orginally intended and has suffered from above market vacancies. Basically, New Yorkers like street level retail. Enclosed arcades like this are not a market preference. Even Time Warner Center has had difficulty filling all of its upper level retail space. Anyway, it might work in Orlando due to the extreme climate.

Yes, that's the place. I know what you mean about the street presence in NYC, but it was a really great place to be when it was freezing outside when I was there. I hope it works in o-town.

• 4 months later...

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:lol: :lol: :lol:

So what are some more businesses you guys would like to see in orlando as far as services go?

Clothing is a necessity in life and it is not being represented in downtown. You can buy a suit at 2 locations and some night club type clothing, but no average daily wear. It basically is representing what Orlando has been - business during the day and clubbing/bar hopping at night.

There needs to be a shoe store or two. We need a place to buy active wear, jeans, etc. Where can I get a pair of socks? How about some underwear? Simple necessities are not available right now, but you can find 20 places to get the same F$*%ING wrap or fusion dish on a square plate. Wait, I forgot about light bulbs. What else?? Every type of store is missing downtown.

downtown orlando is full of coffee shops, restaurants, clubs and nothing else. And the restaurants are not afforable that you can only eat there maybe 2 or 3 times per month for regular folks.

bulldogger, it sounds like u need a walmart downtown. :)

and, get your underwear at urbanbody, they are sexier on you than normal hanes, get rids of the boxers.

You're thinking of Manhattan Mall on 34th and Broadway in Herald Square. It was not as successful as orginally intended and has suffered from above market vacancies. Basically, New Yorkers like street level retail. Enclosed arcades like this are not a market preference. Even Time Warner Center has had difficulty filling all of its upper level retail space. Anyway, it might work in Orlando due to the extreme climate.

That's because getting upstairs stinks. The elevators are very slow, and to get to each escalator you have to walk across the floor. I know that was intended so you walk past more shops, but it's very inconveinent and I'm not one to complain about walking. I'm sure the fact that's it's only 15 minutes from 33rd St to Newport Mall where clothing is tax free doesn't help.

I would really like to see something akin to Horton Plaza in San Diego in downtown Orlando. Geeze I loved that place.

That's because getting upstairs stinks. The elevators are very slow, and to get to each escalator you have to walk across the floor. I know that was intended so you walk past more shops, but it's very inconveinent and I'm not one to complain about walking. I'm sure the fact that's it's only 15 minutes from 33rd St to Newport Mall where clothing is tax free doesn't help.

I would really like to see something akin to Horton Plaza in San Diego in downtown Orlando. Geeze I loved that place.

Clothing is tax free below $110 in New York City. Besides, I've never met anyone that lives in Manhattan or Brooklyn that goes to Newport to shop.

downtown orlando is full of coffee shops, restaurants, clubs and nothing else. And the restaurants are not afforable that you can only eat there maybe 2 or 3 times per month for regular folks.

bulldogger, it sounds like u need a walmart downtown. :)

and, get your underwear at urbanbody, they are sexier on you than normal hanes, get rids of the boxers.

Sorry man, most of us aren't into manties.

I don't agree with the "not affordable" part... Sure there are places like Hue and Kres that are pricey, but I'm definitely a "regular guy" downtown (a renter - can't afford the condos), and I find most places downtown to be just as affordable as the countless chains that spew throughout the suburbs... Anthony's, Urban Flats, Breakfast Club, Central City Market, Empire Schezuan, Dexter's, The Clubhouse, Crooked Bayou, Tiauana Flats, Wall Street Cantina. Heck, even Harvey's Bistro is a really good bang-for-your-buck as a semi-pricey restaurant.

And I too REALLY miss the Thorton Park Coffee Shop :(

How about a Crate and Barrel, Pottery Barn, or Restoration Hardware? A Walgreens or CVS. In fact there is a parcel for sale at the corner of Orange and Pine I think that would be perfect for a Walgreens with some offices on top of it! How about a Gap, Old Navy or Bananna?

I think downtown is a victim of the great shopping everywhere else. Seems like the new developments have focused on restaurants and coffee shops ( I hear Roho is good) rather than traditional retail. I don't know if we could ever get some of the big retailers in here unless we get these condo buildings full and a developer with some vision.

Many retail companies like those actually target more urban areas. I think having the Fashion Square Mall so close kind of hurts that, but I don't remember them having a Crate and Barrel or Pottery Barn or Urban Outfitters. The thing is it doesn't have to be a mall for those stores, and I think a good section of those might be enough to bring more people downtown. Combine it with a good size independent bookstore and a good size independent music store, and a decent area to sit outside and eat lunch, and I think you might bring a lot of people downtwon.

I know the lot of us would hate to see the block where Crooked Bayou, Cleo's, Tiajuana Flats, etc. is go... but how perfect of a multi-use, multi-level retail and restaurant space would this be? With Heritage Square right out front and a LYMMO Station there, it's a prime spot really. Nothing too high, maybe 15+ floors?

It was very succesful for years. The opening of Downtown Disney really hurt it and then CityWalk put the nail in the coffin.

Actually, didn't the Jungle Jims, Hooters, Howl at the Moon and Fridays do pretty well?

We're talking about downtown sports-bars in the Downtown Orlando thread and we had the Hooters. That Hooters always did a great job, I thought, so a real sports-bar place would be great downtown.

I'm talking big screen TVs all over the place. Killer hot wings and home-made blue-cheese dressing (like Frank's Place in Ocoee, best blue-cheese I've ever had by a HUGE margin). Get a couple college alumni groups in there on saturdays and pack the place!

Can't you see I'm ready for college football season?

Actually, didn't the Jungle Jims, Hooters, Howl at the Moon and Fridays do pretty well?

We're talking about downtown sports-bars in the Downtown Orlando thread and we had the Hooters. That Hooters always did a great job, I thought, so a real sports-bar place would be great downtown.

I'm talking big screen TVs all over the place. Killer hot wings and home-made blue-cheese dressing (like Frank's Place in Ocoee, best blue-cheese I've ever had by a HUGE margin). Get a couple college alumni groups in there on saturdays and pack the place!

Can't you see I'm ready for college football season?

Before the Exchange Lounge, that space had a sports bar and it was run by the owners of the Improv (before Pearlman told them to get out). No one went to it. The Clubhouse on Pine is pretty much a sports bar now. Not too many people go in there anymore. When it was Maui Jacks (nothing has really changed other than the name), people used to pack the place (they had buckets of beer), but I think a lot of people over the age of 30 stayed away from it since it was full of frat types and very loud (to the point where you couldn't hear the games). They have plenty of screens though. It might have to do with the girls that work there suck at waiting tables.

Walden Books or Church Street or Orlando Book and Toy?Beacuse they are much Smaller then Barnes and Noble,Borders,Books A Million

A Orlando Sampler that's sell things that say Orlando on it or was made in Orlando like a Cookbook/Food or so on

Orlando Sports Team store?Beacuse St. Louis has Johnny Mac's,Mall of America has a Cheeseead and Vikings Store. Orlando use to have a Magic store at R. Center in Altamonte Springs and Fanattic by I-4 but none anymore. Know RDVComplex might have a Magic and Predators store.

ESPN Zone?Because it looks like ESPN that's at Downton Disney is gone

Ron John Surf Shop?So you don't have to drive to Cocoa Beach to get to it. It could be a Outlet store or Express location

HSN Outlet Store?Beacuse it's located in Tampa Bay

Orlando Theme Park's Store so you can by their Merchandise other then in their Parks

A Florida store that sells things that say Florida or other Cities name on it or was made in the state.

Cici's Pizza?

Papa Murphy's?

Sport Clips?

Miami Subs?

Boaters World?

Sonic?

Checkers?

Wal-Mart?

Lowe's or Home Depot?

Citgo?

Big Lots?

Albetsons?