Businesses I would like to see Downtown

ChadKRagland

Walden Books or Church Street or Orlando Book and Toy?

Subway? - already on Orange

Pizza Hut? - I don't think we'll see another one downtown... there is one by ORMC within a mile and another at Fashion Square

Cold Stone Creamery? - will be at The Plaza soon

Panera Bread? - at Lake Eola

Orlando Magic store? - definitely

Movie Gallery? or Blockbuster - there are now vending machines with DVD... we may see these downtown

Ace Hardware? - probably too expensive and most people living in the apartments and condos downtown wouldn't even think of fixing things themselves - there's also one on Orange Ave near Michigan

7-11? - they need to have another one - central station bar used to be a 7-11 a decade ago... how about at that empty lot at Pine and Orange

ESPN Zone? that would be tight work

Ron Jon Surf Shop? for locals? pass on that

HSN Store? what exactly is this? that's not Home Shopping Network is it?

Orlando Theme Park's Store? WHY????

Store's like they have in Downtown Winter Park and so on. - Like The Gap and Limited and such?

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Sunshine, it looks like we're getting a C&B Outlet in Prime--- 'bout damned time. Also, add a CB2 to your list.

Crate & Barrel

Planet Hollywood

Hard Rock Cafe

A&F

American Eagle

Z Gallerie

Wendy's

Bowling Alley

Barnes & Noble

H&M

Guess

Florists

Vet or Pet Shop

Macy's

Cheesecake Factory

Pottery Barn

----------

The list go on...

I dont normally shop at Crate & Barrel, I just dont think I should pay that kind of price for those stuff. Anyway it is a status symbol for a city. At least I know Tampa and Jacksonville doesnt even have their own store yet. And now we are getting an outlet...

This also apply to Zara.

this may be a bad question, but do other downtowns have gas stations within the core? granted i'm aware that there's less driving in larger cities, but i often wonder (every month when i run low on gas) if it wouldn't be nice to have a little station somewhere besides 50/orange, bumby, and south orange. do they build miniature space-saving gas stations, or would it be a waste of prime real estate & just better left for the more gas-truck accessible outskirts?

Tough to answer as it really depends on the city. NYC has few gas stations because of the mass transit and expense of car ownership. As you get further out where car ownership is more available, you see more stations. Other cities (Atlanta comes to mind, as I also lived there) which are more "driving cities" have considerably more stations throughout the core.

With the stations you listed plus the one on Robinson we're not too bad on station coverage compared to other "driving cities." I'd guess it's roughly 4 miles to a gas station from really any point downtown, likely less.

If I remember correctly, the building corner of Orange and Robinson was a gas station only a few years ago, before being a rental car (Hertz?) place and ultimately closing down.

this may be a bad question, but do other downtowns have gas stations within the core? granted i'm aware that there's less driving in larger cities, but i often wonder (every month when i run low on gas) if it wouldn't be nice to have a little station somewhere besides 50/orange, bumby, and south orange. do they build miniature space-saving gas stations, or would it be a waste of prime real estate & just better left for the more gas-truck accessible outskirts?

You are right about being 'gas truck accessible'-some places in downtown are not.

They have little gas pumps on the side of the street in downtown Paris-it looks like parallel parking spaces with a gas pump on the side. No actual station to buy a slushie, you have to pay with a credit card.

theres one called hi way on church..

i call it hi way robbery..hahaha

• 1 month later...

Demographics !!!

More than demographics, I think its a lack of creative vision from the DDB. If there were a concerted effort to establish a retail district approaching even 500,000 SQ in the Central Business District going along Magnolia it would be successful. As of now, I haven't seen any plan designed to expedite that process.

Why cant we have development like this?

http://www.midtownmile.com/

We are already a very strong retail area metro wide. Anything that large could not be supported for a very long time. Very long time

More than demographics, I think its a lack of creative vision from the DDB. If there were a concerted effort to establish a retail district approaching even 500,000 SQ in the Central Business District going along Magnolia it would be successful. As of now, I haven't seen any plan designed to expedite that process.

Magnolia could be a nice shopping destination but Lymmo makes it difficult. Also, much of the property cannot be developed into retail because of the exisiting buildings are churches or just would not work. Besides, if you build it does not mean they would come.

• 3 months later...

Like others have said a nice Sports Bar/Grill would get my business a lot. I don't care if its a mom&pop or a chain like my favorite Ale House, or Hooters/Buffalo Wild Wings, etc. Something above a whole in the wall, but where I can watch all the games with a nice crowd and not pay $6+ for a beer and $10+ for a sub-par burger.

Like others have said a nice Sports Bar/Grill would get my business a lot. I don't care if its a mom&pop or a chain like my favorite Ale House, or Hooters/Buffalo Wild Wings, etc. Something above a whole in the wall, but where I can watch all the games with a nice crowd and not pay $6+ for a beer and $10+ for a sub-par burger.

Is Johnny's Filling Station still going in on Church Street?

Archived