Providence Dining Experiences and Reviews

Garris

I had the best tofu wrap at the Garden Grille last summer! Of course this was at 2pm when the place was deserted so the service was good. The best breakfast and lunch in Oak Hill is still Amy's next to Job Lot though.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aspire @ The Hotel Providence

Formerly L'Epicureo:

I was here the other night for their soft opening (I had drinks only). The inside is gorgeous. They did a great job. They opened up the wall that separated the bar/lounge. It's very spacious now. Will be joining them for dinner this week.

UPDATE:

Did dinner this week. Service was great. Friendly and efficient and much better than L'Epicureo ever was. The variances in the menu were great. The food on the other hand, granted that they are not officially open yet, was just OK. We'll see where this goes. I found out the head chef was recruited from Hemenways. I hate Hemenways, I always found the food to be lackluster. So, it's not looking positive...yet.

So a friend is on a quest for good Fried Chicken takeout. Any suggestions? I know of a Bunch (Crown on Atwells, Kennedy in Olneyville, and the friggen AWESOME NY Chicken Kebob on Broad st) but alas I havent actually eaten fried chicken at any of them. I know people used to rave about Miss Fannies, but they are long gone at this point. Suggestions? I have had Afgani food at NY Chicken Kebob and its rad, so I am leaning on sending her there, but I have no idea if their Fried Chicken is just KFC caliber or something better...

Liam

I know its a chain, but I really miss Popeye's.. Filled a spicy chicken need for me.. I've been meaning to try Royal or CFC or even Kennedy, but haven't hit em them.. Its a tough sell with Lady Ank being a veggie..

Speaking of which, we went to LJ's this weekend.. They cook their meats right, but have shockingly mediocre sauce.. Not a big winner for the lady.. Good collard greens though (as vegetarian as they may sound, not an option for a veggie).. The tater skins dont hold a candle to Wes's, but as far as ribs go.. LJ's is the place.. Also they have a beer called Golden Monkey (this part for you runawayjim) that was 9.5% alcohol, and even though I think it said triple bock it still tasted good..

Still want to try Rasoi? The indian place in between LJs and that evil tool of hippification anti-non-tatooed-pale-skinned peoples vegetarian place..

Speaking of spicy fried chicken - I know its an even worse chain, but the Extra Crispy fried chicken at the KFC on Broad Street is Spicy, and REALLY good dammit. I like it a lot better than the Popeyes spicy. I havent ever come across it at any other KFC though, which is odd. Also: They have the exact same kind of fried apple pies that mcdonalds used to have up until the late 80's/early 90's. Its an Arterial Delight.

I'll put a vote in for memphis roadhouse in south attleboro - the ribs were excellent, and the pulled pork good. I would rank it first of bbq I've had in RI (or SE MA I guess). really good.

Crown for fried chicken is pretty good. the one on Broad does a good leg...

I know its a chain, but I really miss Popeye's.. Filled a spicy chicken need for me.. I've been meaning to try Royal or CFC or even Kennedy, but haven't hit em them.. Its a tough sell with Lady Ank being a veggie..

Speaking of which, we went to LJ's this weekend.. They cook their meats right, but have shockingly mediocre sauce.. Not a big winner for the lady.. Good collard greens though (as vegetarian as they may sound, not an option for a veggie).. The tater skins dont hold a candle to Wes's, but as far as ribs go.. LJ's is the place.. Also they have a beer called Golden Monkey (this part for you runawayjim) that was 9.5% alcohol, and even though I think it said triple bock it still tasted good..

Still want to try Rasoi? The indian place in between LJs and that evil tool of hippification anti-non-tatooed-pale-skinned peoples vegetarian place..

golden monkey is a belgian-style tripel, not a triple bock (which isn't an actual style, though sam adams made a beer called triple bock that tasted like soy sauce mixed with maple syrup... nasty stuff). golden monkey is pretty good.

I think of India or Kabob and Curry as Americanized, but I think of Rasoi as more "fusion." It doesn't try to be authentic, but has more culturally mixed and Indian "inspired" dishes. I love it, and think it's one of the area's most creative restaurants.

- Garris

Archived