Providence Dining Experiences and Reviews

Garris

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh by the way, Aspire at Hotel Providence was delicious on Sunday. It is amazing the work they did on the interior in 4 short weeks.

I had an seared scallops with caramelized fennel and some ravioli filled with something I don't remember but it was good. My boyfriend had a steak coked exactly to order.

Oh by the way, Aspire at Hotel Providence was delicious on Sunday. It is amazing the work they did on the interior in 4 short weeks.

I had an seared scallops with caramelized fennel and some ravioli filled with something I don't remember but it was good. My boyfriend had a steak coked exactly to order.

I think you are right but they still have a location in Warwick on Bald Hill Road. LJ's would be my pick. They also have a brunch on weekends which sounds very good. Bul all three places are good and Wes's is open to 2am on wknds.

Having not yet tried Rick's Roadhouse or this new place that is opening (maybe opened already?) on Ives St, I would say that Providence does not even have good BBQ offerings.

Wes's is just awful. Not real BBQ. Everything is tough and grilled shoe leather.

LJ's tries, but also falls short. Everything from the meat to the sauce to the sides are just wanting. I have had a good burger there though, but not what I would want to go there before.

Stickyfingers used to be pretty good, but ever since the owner passed, it just has fallen downhill.

I went to Wes' for the first time a couple months ago, they didn't have mashed potatoes as a side, I mean, wha?! :blink:

I got rice as an extra side, because I just wanted more food, it was like 4 dollars and came in a little urine sample cup. Had I known how paltry it would have been I wouldn't have bothered.

LJ's comes closest to what I got used to in Georgia. The brisket is usually great and the pulled pork, at least ok. Their collards, though overpriced, are outstanding, best I ever had (and I love collards). Mac and cheese is solid as well.

I went to Wes' for the first time a couple months ago, they didn't have mashed potatoes as a side, I mean, wha?! :blink:

I got rice as an extra side, because I just wanted more food, it was like 4 dollars and came in a little urine sample cup. Had I known how paltry it would have been I wouldn't have bothered.

I heartily second the collards comment. They are the best. LJ's is the leader of the bbq pack in RI.

Rick's Roadhouse has bad service (don't you know the difference between seltzer and tonic water? how about the SECOND time I send it back? not then either, huh?), likes to upsell, has cheezy decor. And their cornbread, like wes's, smells like fish.

Sad to say, I don't get ribs at wes's.. They are bad. I love the hot BBQ sauce though, and the chili.. I like the chopped BBQ very much.. The taterskins are awesome, unique.. I just wish they would slow cook the ribs.. I dont know how they won best ribs in RI.. We literally go there for the jalepeno BBQ sauce.. I hate to admit it, but both smokeybones and texas roadhouse CHAINS have far superior ribs.. LJs is good too..

Speaking of LJs, we went to the vegetarian place two doors down, dont know the name of it, for brunch last weekend.. Lady Ank is a veggie.. Pretty bad service, food was not great either.. Call me crazy, but I'm pretty certain our service was bad because we weren't hipsters.. We were really out of place there. Apparently in order to get good service there you need to wear black clothing, have tatooed pale skin and nasty dredlocks (optional)..

I did enjoy the fruit smoothie though.. Is there anything less manly than ordering a fruit smoothie? Can we come up with a different name for these?

That would be the Garden Grille next to LJ's and rasoi. I heartily agree, and in fact was just whining about this to someone.

Went there for a lunch meeting, figuring that an hour was plenty of time. Our surly (yet mightily hip) waitress didn't put our order in and realized after we'd been sitting there for forty minutes. Told her that she needed to wrap it since I was going to be late for another meeting, and we took our food to go. They should have been embarrassed to call what they gave me a quesadilla and charge me $10 for it.

And no apology nor any discount for the waitress's (although I did admire her super cutting edge tats) inability to do something so elemental to her job...ie place the food order with the kitchen. Is it because I'm not a hipster?

Re: the apparent sissiness of ordering fruit smoothies. Go down just a bit further to Jac's Wraps (where the people are consistently sweet) and order one of their smoothies. They're delicious...and you can rest assured that the very non-sissy, bodybuilding owner drinks those smoothies with pride.

I really don't think it's the smoothie that's an issue...I've never ever seen a man, no matter how hood and macho he tries to be, look masculine drinking something out of a straw.

Hey, everyone should know that New Rivers serves poutine! Yummy thin fries with dollops of farmer's cheese (no, I don't know which farmer) and...DUCK! Seriously! You get a good size portion...nice to share and good with beer.

Now there are two prov restaurants for your poutine fix: New Rivers and Stanley's. Who's next?

I don't think the ives st place is open yet, but "soon."

Archived