Providence Dining Experiences and Reviews

Garris

This is for the past patrons of the Rickshaw Inn on Willett Ave in Riverside, which had closed last year. They were closed but have reopened as the China Gourmet, and are now serving not only chinese dishes, but also Japanese, Thailand , and Hong Kong style food, along with a sushi bar. And no, there is no review or report available, but I may be going there today. I'll let ya know. ;)

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a two part review from last Sat night.. Our goal sat night was a three courser, price not a concern, just a "dining vacation" as discussed before..

So we found some kickass reviews about Nat Porter in Warren online, saying they had all these great quirky vegetarian dishes (the lady who actually tolerates TheAnk on a day to day basis is a vegetarian) that looked good enough for even a carnivore like myself to eat.. They said they use local ingredients and organic when possible (big points for Ms. Ank).. So we jumped in the vehicle and drove over there..

We get there, sit, and look at the menu, its a friggin STEAKHOUSE, totally different menu, not one item the same.. We decide we drove out there, so we'd make it work.. Order drinks from our valleygirl suburban spoiled barringtonian, and she brings back two random drinks.. I would think with all the pre-teen drinking going over there that she would know what a dirty martini and a reisling is..

We procede to order, I ask for the specials, she basically hands me a crumpled up piece of paper with them written on them.. My gf orders two of the only veg options on this new menu, I order a surf turf.. The waitress comes back with our correct drinks and tells us they dont have the veg ap.. So she opts for a salad.. She comes back a minute later and says they also dont have the veg entree..

For the first time ever, we bailed on a restaurant... I told her if to cancel our food order, and we will pay for our drinks and leave.. She says ok.. 2 minutes later our salads arrive.. I call the manager over, let her know the debacle that just happened.. She offer to pay for drinks.. I say f no.. I dont want your charity, I just want a good meal.. We pay for the drinks and bolt.. Word of advice to restaurants.. There are vegetarians in the world.. You need to offer two choices for these customers.. AND NEVER, EVER have NO OPTIONS.. Ridiculous..

Beaten down from suburban ignorance and pomp without circumstance, we return to restaurant mecca, PVD semi-defeated.. We decided to park on North Main and hit a place there.. We happend upon XO Cafe, which although also a steakhouse, at this point we just wanted FOOD.. We sit down and had one of the best dining experiences in recent memory..

The waitress was perfection.. The food was great, the lineup for us was: Apps: lobster wontons and the artisan cheese plate.. Perfection.. Salads: XO wedge and a ceasar.. Pretty good.. The lady opted for fried artichokes and truffle fries for entre while I went with the filet.. The only down all night was that the brandy peppercorn was not a reduction, and it was served on the side.. Too boozy.. Other than that minor detail, it was a perfect meal, perfect waitress, perfect setting..

What a huge contrast.. Nat Porter, dead to me.. XO, in the rotation.. Granted XO might have won points by our prior experience @ Nat and shined in comparison, but I don't think so.. I dropped a huge tip out of appreciation that XO and out server allowed us to complete our dining vacation..

Aspire at Hotel Providence is having their soft opening on Sunday the 11th. It should be fully open the following week.

Frankie, I'll report back what I think on Sunday night/Monday morning. :whistling:

Dynamites always taste better the second day, so make it a day ahead if you can. It also freezes and microwaves very well. I don't drink, but my Dad always said that they worked best with "A good lawn mowin' beer" like Miller High Life or something similarly light and lowbrow. All the ingredients above costs around $15-20 at Pricerite and makes a good 18-24 Dynamites. Low Class Woonsocket food is now within your reach no matter what your budget is.

I would say that Gansett prolly would make more sense. I'm 33, so growing up it was during the dark ages of crap 'Gansett after the brewery closed and my pop switched over to Miller for cheap light beer territory. If he was still alive and would be VERY excited about the Narragansett revival.

Dynamites always taste better the second day, so make it a day ahead if you can. It also freezes and microwaves very well. I don't drink, but my Dad always said that they worked best with "A good lawn mowin' beer" like Miller High Life or something similarly light and lowbrow.

2494640932_02009e1ef6_o.jpg

Providence firefighters extinguish a fire last night at the Yun Nan restaurant at Smith and Orms streets in Providence yesterday. The restaurant received heavy damage. No injuries were reported.

The Providence Journal / Kris Craig

I'm proud to say that TheAnk was the person who called 911 for this.. Driving by, fire spewing from the exhaust fan.. Smelled delicious though, I think is was Ganeral Tsao's chicken.. I thought about stopping and looting Yun Nan in the commotion, but opted to just keep driving.. I think this place might be a front for The Tiny/Little/Microscopic/Mini Asian Rascal gang of Smith Hill..

/\ Agreed, always had a good meal there, cheap too.

As far as other dining experiences go, I had an excellent meal at Providence Prime on Tuesday. There were a decent number of patrons considering it was a week day. The service can not be beat, and neither can the steak.

Archived