Providence Dining Experiences and Reviews

Garris

something about new haven pizza is that it's browned on the bottom but never overly crispy (the crust on the outside edge gets crispy, but still tastes amazing). the closest i've found to new haven style is rocco's on the corner of admiral and river. relatively thin crust, cooked just right. it's really new york style, which is similar to new haven, although new haven does it better... rocco's is good though.

Rocco's is probably the closest in style to NY and NH style pizzas, although I think its far from the tastiest in the area (and the cleanliness of the place isn't inspiring).

I agree that I don't understand the point of pizza chains. Every city in the northeast (if not the nation) has, what, like at least one pizza joint per strip plaza? Why does Pizza Hut, Domino's, et al exist?

- Garris

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

chevy's is not very good mexican... it's more tex-mex, and i'd rather have chilis anyday.

eagle square is trying to attract more upper middle class folks, young professionals. rising sun is actually not very expensive. a good sized studio is under $700/month (good sized being 450+ sq feet). i looked into renting there, but they didn't have any of the studios available (anything bigger was too expensive for me, plus i decided to stay where i'm living now).

the problem with eagle square is it's located in a relatively lower class or lower-middle class neighborhood. i don't agree that gentrification is a good plan, at least not most people's idea of it (getting young professionals everywhere so prices everywhere go up). put something that the people of the neighborhood might like. forget the yuppies, they can go downtown for their meals. while an independent place would be best, it should be reasonably priced for all to enjoy, not just those buying in eagle square or renting at rising sun (plus that really limits your customer base if your prices aren't affordable by a good portion of the neighborhood).

I think that's the allure of the neighborhood...the grittiness, diversity, and social status..I'm not totally for a Ponderosa , but something that the whole neighborhood can patronize. Everybody can use Shaw's, Blockbuster, and Dunkin Donuts. These are businesses that the whole community utilizes and can afford. ...and that area has many many people that can't afford some of the places that some think would be better suited considering the asking prices of the condos and rentals? WTF?

Rocco's is probably the closest in style to NY and NH style pizzas, although I think its far from the tastiest in the area (and the cleanliness of the place isn't inspiring).

I agree that I don't understand the point of pizza chains. Every city in the northeast (if not the nation) has, what, like at least one pizza joint per strip plaza? Why does Pizza Hut, Domino's, et al exist?

- Garris

when i want pizza, i want the whole package, taste, style, texture, sauce flavor, dough flavor, etc... i've had most of the "big name" pizza places in the area and rocco's seems to have the best overall compared to what i'm used to...

I do take some issue with your gentrification point, probably because I am a young professional. I live in the west end, and would like to eat in my neighborhood more.

i, too, am a young professional, but i see a problem when people are moving in and forcing the people who have lived in the same neighborhood for years and years (possibly even longer than some of us have been alive) can no longer enjoy their neighborhood. they identify with the area. the area around eagle square, while probably not likely to have people who've lived there for 20+ years (at least not the majority of them) most likely does have people who've lived there for quite some time. they moved there for the affordability. gentrification generally makes things less affordable. is it right to just push all these people out because it looks good for the city to have young professionals moving in?

the people who frequent the stores in eagle square are the people who live in the area. they aren't upper middle class, they don't have the money for trendy restaurants. so pretty soon their neighborhood is taken away from them and hijacked by us young professionals.

i live in elmhurst, there's not much here, but the places that are here aren't trendy and aren't geared towards people with money. i love it, they're quick, they're easy, they're cheap, and the food isn't half bad... but i also steer clear of so-called trendy places because they generally come with a snobby aura to them.

EDIT: please note that this may not be true for many of these places, but a lot of the ones i've been to in various cities have clientelle and staff who seem to turn their nose up at the normal, average joe. or at least it sems that way upon arrival. i also prefer a more downhome feel to a place...

The developers decided to call this project "Eagle Square". That part of Providence is called "The Valley". If I opened a strip mall along Service Road #7 and Washington St near the public safety complex and called it "Washington Park" would that be the Washington Park section of Providence? Don't worry, I do know what your point is here by posting that link.

The developers decided to call this project "Eagle Square". That part of Providence is called "The Valley". If I opened a strip mall along Service Road #7 and Washington St near the public safety complex and called it "Washington Park" would that be the Washington Park section of Providence? Don't worry, I do know what your point is here by posting that link.

Frankie, it was called Eagle Square long before Feldco came along. Feldco was going to call their development Providence Commons and then eventually went with the name Eagle Sq. after Cianci made them change the plan. The kids who used to hang out at Fort Thunder always referred to that square where Atwells, Valley, Harris, Kinsley, and Eagle St come together as "Eagle Square." Valley is the name of the neighborhood.

Like I said before, the neighborhood around Douglas and Admiral is Eagle Park, not Square.

I've never been to Parkside, but have heard good things. Anyone else here ever been there?

- Garris

We love Parkside - interesting menu, delicious food, and great waitstaff. I highly recommend anything off the rotisserie - not only are the meats tender and flavorful, but they are served with a fantastic mix of sweet potato and russet (?) french fries. Yum.

• 2 weeks later...

Providence Restaurant Gurus,

I need some advice. I am helping to organize a mid-February "meet-up" dinner for a group of relative strangers in Providence. We will be advertising it on the net, and since it's the first time we've done one, we have no idea how many folks will show. What we need is a cafeteria style place, i.e. one where each person pays for their own food and brings it back to the table, which will "scale" to work whether we have 5 people or 25.

If possible, we'd like to avoid the mall and chain-style places, in favor of something more local/cool. Ideally it would be in the vicinity of Downcity/Jewelry District/Federal Hill/College Hill--you get the idea....

I know this is tricky combination of requests--any suggestions much appreciated!!!

Thanks,

PVDJack

Sounds like you need a cafe-like experience. I haven't been to the City Cafe at Dorrance and Weybosset yet, but it may fit the bill. Cilantro, (mexican on Weybosset) would also work. Though their dining area isn't huge, so if you had the full 25 you may run out of space.

Providence Restaurant Gurus,

I need some advice. I am helping to organize a mid-February "meet-up" dinner for a group of relative strangers in Providence. We will be advertising it on the net, and since it's the first time we've done one, we have no idea how many folks will show. What we need is a cafeteria style place, i.e. one where each person pays for their own food and brings it back to the table, which will "scale" to work whether we have 5 people or 25.

If possible, we'd like to avoid the mall and chain-style places, in favor of something more local/cool. Ideally it would be in the vicinity of Downcity/Jewelry District/Federal Hill/College Hill--you get the idea....

I know this is tricky combination of requests--any suggestions much appreciated!!!

Thanks,

PVDJack

caserta's is semi-cafeteria style (it's pizza, so you might have to agree on stuff), but having 25 people there might be difficult if they're busy.

antonio's on thayer is cafeteria style, but not big enough (they do pizza by the slice).

i'm not sure of anything else. a good way to do it is check out places that seem very informal and try them out. :thumbsup:

The Daily Bread in Wayland Square or Cafe Zog on Wickenden might work for your group. The Daily Bread isn't always open in the evening so check the hours first.

Boy, this is a tough one... I wouldn't recommend The Daily Bread. It's not open past 4 PM or so and, in any event, it's waaay too small for such a potentially large group.

Many of the suggestions made thus far are decidedly downscale places for the most part, you should know. Tazza might actually work. I too haven't yet been to City Cafe. Not Just Snacks (Indian) is cafeterial style, but it too would probably be too small. While not cafeteria style, the layout of "India" (indian fusion) restaurant at Hope and Blackstone is quite casual and laid back, and quite large. For more upscale dining, The Hi Hat (club/restaurant) on Point Street in Davol Square might work. While more of a sit down place, check out the large CAV restaurant as well.

I'll keep thinking about this one, if for no other reason than a future UP-Providence meeting might have the same needs.

- Garris

Hi-Hat is a very good place for groups, it's not cafeteria style, but they are very accomodating for groups (I helped organize an event there last year). I'd definately give them a call and explain your situation and ask how they could accomodate you. Obviously anywhere, the more off the dinner time hour you go, the better you'll be able to accomodate your group.

I got it. ANGELOS CIVITA FARNESE on Federal Hill. Not exactly cafeteria but they do have long cafeteria type tables and the place is rife with local history!

i was gonna mention them, but they're not really cafeteria style, at least not as much as caserta's would be. their food is good and cheap and the service is pretty fast. and it's about as casual as you can get without going fast food or cafetaria. and i have a feeling they wouldn't have a problem splitting up the bills, at least in groups of 4 or 5 people per check.

From the survey on their website it looks like they may be considering switching over to indivisual seating, which I would prefer.

Hi All,

Thanks for all the good suggestions to my tough request for a cool, cafeteria-style place around Downcity. I'm going to check out a couple of the suggestions, and will let you know what we finally go with.

Hopefully some enterprising restauranteur will read the thread and recognize the market need for such a place.

Thanks again,

PVDJack

Archived