Providence Dining Experiences and Reviews

Garris

I'm curious what other people's experiences have been with Pastiche. I've only been there on Friday/Saturday/Sunday nights, when it's been absolutely jammed packed, with people standing in all the free spaces between tables waiting for their orders. The absolute opposite of intimate... Granted, their desserts are tremendous, but I've always viewed them more as an order out than a eat in...

I've only ever been to Pastiche in the winter, and I don't think I've been there on a weekend night, so I've never experienced the crowds you have, though even in the dead of winter (the first time I was there was when I came to Providence from New York to look for apartments and it was literally 10 below) it has a healthy number of people there.

On another note - going to L'Epicureo Saturday night. Anyone been there since they moved? Reviews, dish recommendations?

I only went to one of there practice nights before they opened, and I never went to the Federal Hill location, but the food on the practice night was amazing!

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am with you on that sign - ugh :sick: Had dinner there with my wife - she got the special, which was a fish dish and it was fantastic! I got the ribs, which were only so-so, but the side dishes it came with were tasty. I find the service a tad lacking, especially when you first walk in - often the hostess is MIA.

Ok, to flesh out our Blaze (Hope St, in Hope Village, new-American fusion cuisine) dining experience...

First, I agree that the sign is quite obnoxious (especially at night), but given the previous two delis in that spot didn't fly, I can't blame them for wanting to play it safe and really announce that they are there. Maybe if they do well and develop a regular clientelle they will replace the sign with something a bit more classy...

We started with a pizza appetizer, which was fine... The crust was nice and thin and had a subtle but effective crunch, but the sauce was a bit weak and the cheese was just there...

I had the albacore tuna with pressed spices, a special on their menu that night. It was merely "OK." First, this was the only time I've ever ordered a tuna steak that I wasn't asked how I wanted it cooked. Out of sheer curiosity over whether they would clarify this with me or just do what they wanted, I didn't bring it up. The tuna, while good quality, ended up being cooked medium-well, which was a shame, since I think tuna cooked anything more than medium-rare is a wasted effort (and doesn't show much cooking skill or attention). As a result, it was a bit dry. The spicing was similarly "OK." I actually have a near identical recipe with a pressed Southwestern spice mix on tuna that is much better... The vege and greens sides were excellent, however.

My sister's meal, which was Jamaican Jerk Chicken, was much, much better. The chicken had a real spice kick and was perfectly cooked, being crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside. Her black bean side was earthy and also perfectly cooked, and the plantains (which I think were baked?) were sweet and a wonderful compliment to the earthy beans and spicy chicken.

The chocolate banana cake for dessert was also "OK." Not too rich, not too dry... More chocolate than banana, although that didn't bother my sister as much as it did me.

The price for all of this was very reasonable (I think it was 27 or 28 dollars total for the two of us) and our service that night was fine. Again, not a destination restaurant, but certainly great for the neighborhood as, besides Pizzico, one or two Asian places, and the restaurants farther down Hope street going into Oak Hill, this is really the Hope Village area's only restaurant of its type.

- Garris

Garris, you seem to go out a lot to eat. I was wondering if you cook and how well you are at it. What's your favorite dish to prepare?

I do cook a lot, actually, and I think I'm "OK" at it... A good amount of the more "upscale" eating out I do is work related, which certainly helps my budget. I also eat out to explore, both food and neighborhoods... Aside from some cheap, local places or big favorites of mine, I rarely go to places more than 2-3 times.

As far as favorite dishes? Hard to say... There's so many. My two favorite cuisine types are Japanese (very subtle, deeply layered yet simple tastes and textures) and Ethiopian/East African (earthy, spicy meats and veges). If I could figure out how to make the Ethiopian injera spongy sourdough bread, I might not eat anything else ever again...

- Garris

I've only ever been to Pastiche in the winter, and I don't think I've been there on a weekend night, so I've never experienced the crowds you have, though even in the dead of winter (the first time I was there was when I came to Providence from New York to look for apartments and it was literally 10 below) it has a healthy number of people there.

I only went to one of there practice nights before they opened, and I never went to the Federal Hill location, but the food on the practice night was amazing!

I've only been to Pastiche during the winter, too. It's been somewhat busy, but not packed. That may be true now due to the popularity of the place. We're going there this Saturday afternoon (after we go see 'The Lion King') at PPAC!!! :yahoo: ); hopefully it won't be full.

It would be nice if they opened the patio for dining next spring/summer, they talked about putting a seasonal bar out there last year, but I don’t think it ever happened. That would be a great place to eat, with the park right there, and the view of Grace Church across the street.

– That get’s me thinking, imagine Westminster & Weybosset with outdoor European-style dining and heat lamps for the colder weather. Thayer St. started that trend, and I think it would totally change the atmosphere of the downcity area. Not sure if there’s enough room for pedestrians as well as diners on those streets, but it’s a nice idea. Has anyone talked about this in the downcity threads?

They did open it, but much later in the season than they were hoping to. They didn't actually have a bar outside (which I believe was the plan), but they had waiters bringing drink orders out to you. I had drinks there when my parents were in town on a WaterFire night, it was very nice, probably my favourite spot downtown for drinks on a warm night.

I like the idea of heat lamps to extend the outdoor dining season. Tazza and Xxodus had outdoor seating this year, any new restaurants should follow suit. The other side of the street has a wider sidewalk I think, the new place going into the Urban Kitchen spot should set up tables in the spring.

On Weybosset, it be great to have outdoor dining around Saki's. Hopefully if they follow through on plans to go more upscale they'll have outdoor dining. In the past there have also been cafe tables outdside the cafe next to PPAC, but didn't that close?? Also, Downcity Diner should be able to have a few tables, they have a kitchen door on the side of the building which they could use to serve diners on the street.

If all the places on Federal Hill can have cafe dining, then it shouldn't be a problem on Westminster/Weybosset, the sidewalks on Atwells aren't really wide enough for it, but that hasn't stopped anyone.

the heaters for outdoor dining are pretty cool. it also might be neat for some of the bars with patios and decks to use them. i was in a bar in atlanta that had them on their deck (the deck was covered, and it was mid-summer so it was very hot anyways, but i'm sure they use them in the winter). when i was last in philly, i ate at this restaurant near penn's campus that had a patio and lots of tables outside and they had those heaters, presumably for the nighttime crowd. of course the restaurant had a large area and the patio went out to the sidewalk, but there was still a sidewalk. can't do too much of that downtown here.

While not a dining experience per se, it is related. Where in the city is there a nice wine shop with a good selection of hard booze? Most places are heavier on beer than wine/liquor.

Campus Fine Wines and Spirits on Brook St. Good selection of booze, at least the stuff I drink (Whisky, bourbon etc.). Plus a very knowledgable and friendly staff to help with wine.

While not in town per se, Yankee Spirits in Attleboro is worth a drive if you are looking to stock up. It is essentially a supermarket for wine, beer and spirits. Best selection of all three in the vicinity and very good prices (I often find a handle is 10 bucks less than what local stores charge).

While not a dining experience per se, it is related. Where in the city is there a nice wine shop with a good selection of hard booze? Most places are heavier on beer than wine/liquor.

Town Wine on Newport Ave in East Providence has a large wine selection, as well as Gasbarro's on Atwells Ave in Providence. Also Douglas Wine & Spirits (various locations).

I made my way over to Bravo tonight. It was good, I'll certainly go back. They had Bass on tap, double points for that :alc:

I had the scallops, which were delicious, almost totally devoid of any grit, which is almost impossible to accomplish. And they were really big too. The calamari was good, if a touch too salty. Couple drawbacks, the tap water (which they brought to the table without having to ask if you wanted it) was really bad. I have Providence water at home obviously so I'm used to it, but this was horrid. They need a filter or something. The desert menu was a little thin. There seemed to be one thing for every taste, which is a plus, but I was hoping for a cheesecake or something. I went with mousse. Also, we went at 6pm, and they were already out of the special. It was extraordinarily busy due to a sold out PC Basketball game, they seemed not to quite be up to the challenge of that kind of crazy night yet. They need to get used to these kind of rushes if they're going to live off of the Dunk and Trinity crowds.

All in all, it was very good though. I'll certainly go back. And it really seems like a good place for an early evening bite and a drink. Good after work place.

I made my way over to Bravo tonight. It was good, I'll certainly go back. They had Bass on tap, double points for that :alc:

I had the scallops, which were delicious, almost totally devoid of any grit, which is almost impossible to accomplish. And they were really big too. The calamari was good, if a touch too salty. Couple drawbacks, the tap water (which they brought to the table without having to ask if you wanted it) was really bad. I have Providence water at home obviously so I'm used to it, but this was horrid. They need a filter or something. The desert menu was a little thin. There seemed to be one thing for every taste, which is a plus, but I was hoping for a cheesecake or something. I went with mousse. Also, we went at 6pm, and they were already out of the special. It was extraordinarily busy due to a sold out PC Basketball game, they seemed not to quite be up to the challenge of that kind of crazy night yet. They need to get used to these kind of rushes if they're going to live off of the Dunk and Trinity crowds.

All in all, it was very good though. I'll certainly go back. And it really seems like a good place for an early evening bite and a drink. Good after work place.

Exactly where is this place? My wife and I always like to try new places. Anyplace with Bass on tap can't be all bad.

I did try Lemi's BB and I must say I was not impressed. Hong Kong style wasn't for me. We ordered and then the owner came out with a sample plate for free! Turned out the owner, Mrs. Yip, was someone I knew.

I didn't know she owned this place, she has another restaurant in Johnston. The wonton soup though large was overpriced and not much flavor. The rice was so so, still haven't gotten use to the light color soy sauce. The tofu was not cut into small pieces, my preference, and thus was spongy in the middle. The BB was OK, nothing to write home about. The duck was good, the pork ok, didn't like the wings, the soy chicken was good and I wouldn't try the pigs feet on a bet!

Mark

Exactly where is this place? My wife and I always like to try new places. Anyplace with Bass on tap can't be all bad.

It's on the corner of Washington and Empire across from Trinity Rep.

Who are you!!! :ph34r:

I live on Federal Hill, whaddaya talkin' about? All my meals are comped. Fuggedaboutit.

I did try Lemi's BB and I must say I was not impressed. Hong Kong style wasn't for me.

That's too bad... I have to say, they've gone a bit downhill in the last several months. Quality and freshness have taken a bit of a hit. They're no longer the slam dunk Chinese choice they were a year ago. I'll have to go back to Lucky Garden in North Providence and see how they're holding up.

Asian dining in Providence is, overall, pretty sad. I'd rank things overall as follows:

Chinese: D+ to C- at best overall

Japanese: B overall. We have a large selection of places, none of which is obviously better than any of the others...

Korean: Wildly varies... I'd say C+ (Angelrose on Federal Hill) to B (the cafe on Wickenden) to B+ (Sun and Moon Korean)

Vietnamese/SE Asian: I'm not knowledgable enough to grade...

- Garris

how many places don't have bass on tap? that's usually a staple of even the smallest selection of beers (unless we're talking 2, in which case it's usually bud and bud light).

Ok, to flesh out our Blaze (Hope St, in Hope Village, new-American fusion cuisine) dining experience...

First, I agree that the sign is quite obnoxious (especially at night)

I actually like the sign.

I've been there a few times (I live a couple blocks away), and the only problem I have is the lack of servers.

Our first visit was perfect, but it was uncharacteristically empty...usually the place is packed.

The other two visits took a lot longer than they should have. Took half an hour to get our bill, and another 15 minutes to get the credit card receipt. They had 2 people working the entire floor...when just about every table is full, that's not nearly enough help.

Food is really good though...which I why I'll keep going back (when I have the time)

Glad to hear Bravo is good. How were the prices?

I also checked out Bravo this week and can attest to goodness. While not a traditional brasserie (see discussion a couple of pages back) they did have some typical brasserie items, although we didn't order any. The prices were right in the mid-range. I went with two others and I think our meal totalled about $75 with tip. that bought us (going from memory):

- calamari provencal

- one pretty big caesar salad (ordered by one person but ended up split because of the size)

- 2 beers, 1 soda

- 1 burger

- 1 steak sandwich

- 1 lobster club

Also for bread they gave us a nice baguette which came to us warm and was delicious. but I am a sucker for bread.

not the best deal in town, but not bad either. I do like the amount of glass and hope they find a way to have some outdoor seating in the summer.

Archived