Providence Dining Experiences and Reviews

Garris

I believe I heard Providence City Council President John Lombardi state on this past Sunday's Ch 10 news conference that Providence has more restuarants per capita than any other city in America. Besides being the host city to the largest culinary school in the USA, is there any other reason why we can enjoy so many fine dining choices? I actually see tour buses from MA & CT pull up to local restuarants, which is great.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always found Capriccio to be average at best. It's quite atmospheric, though. I've stopped reading most local restaurant reviews, as they are almost never actually critical of anything. I trust the feedback of posters far more on boards like this one and at chowhound.com.

I've been to some restaurants lately I thought I'd report on...

XO on North Main Street, Providence: This was my first time there in some time. Like corporate partner 10 Steak and Sushi, it's got a lot of character and feels slick and jazzy. It's quite narrow and closed in, making its space quite intimate. My appetizer was Acorn Squash Gnocci, which was average. For the 9 or 10 dollars, it was a sparse plate, with only 4 or 5 gnocci in a cream sauce. The consistency was also somewhat squishy, making them feel more like ravioli than gnocchi.

I then had a New York sirloin, which I requested medium-rare and was accurately cooked as such. It was a surprisingly fatty piece of beef. It was acceptably tender, but lacked somewhat in the way of flavor, especially in comparison to the steak I recently had at Capital Grille. The truffle fries on the side, however, were excellent.

My dessert, a tempura banana dish with vanilla ice cream and caramel, was tremendously disappointing. The banana tempura was overly fried and chewey. The cold ice cream on top melted rapidly and had the effect of turning the warm gooey caramel on which the entire dish was based into a cold, rock solid mass that encased the banana tempura, making it unedible. The entire plate was rendered into a hard mess that would have been impossible to cut or consume without a knife for cutting and a spoon to lap up the melted ice cream. The dish washing staff must hate this menu item with a passion, as by the time I was done, the caramel seemed molecularly bonded to the plate.

My dining partners were considerably happier with their meals and desserts, so your mileage may vary. Everything is undeniably stylish, from the plates to the decor to the staff. If you go, however, I'd ask the wait staff (which was attentive but seemed stretched) for their specific recommendations on dishes.

New Japan: I went back here for dinner recently. My dining companion and I had the usual mix of Miso soup, pickled vegetables, and Maki rolls. In general, everything was just fine, no better or worse than Providence's other Japanese options. I still prefer the huge list of roll options at Toyko, however. One big and bizarre negative however... While there eating before a play at the Trinity, a panhandler came in and was asking for money from patrons at tables in the restaurant. The restaurant staff didn't bat an eyelash at this. Now, it wouldn't prevent me from going back myself, but when trying to show off the city to someone from out of town (as was the case that evening), it was an embarrassing negative. I'll certainly never go back in a similar circumstance.

That's all for now!

- Garris

A quick question... Some friends and I are looking for a cafe-ish setting that would be open Sunday afternoons/evenings. We need a place in Providence that serves some light food or dessert and is ok to sit around for a few hours and play board games and such. Since I'm not up on the latest openings/closings, what are the best places to scout out?

-ALJ

Reflections Cafe at the top of Wickenden at Governor is a good place too. Light food, good coffee, they don't get on you for lingering. It primarily caters to a gay clientele, but is far from exclusive in that respect.

A lot of small groups hold meetings there which shows that they are fine with the hanging out for long periods. It also has a wireless hotspot I believe.

I heard that Adesso on College Hill may be moving to Federal Hill in the New Year.

Huh, that's a surprise. They have a solid niche there as the "respectable" Thayer St eatery. They do a lot of neighborhood, institutional, and college student/parents business. On Federal Hill, they become just another restaurant (and far from the most distinctive of them). The whole "California Cuisine" thing has been far from cutting edge for a while now.

I wonder if the rents there are getting tough or if someone wants to do something with that building.

- Garris

PS: Speaking of Thayer, I went to the gelato place there (I'm blanking on the name right now) a couple of days ago for the first time and found it a pleasant surprise. The food was decent, the teenage employees not too annoying, and the whole atmosphere was actually quite fresh and nice. The gelato itself was, I thought, much better than a place I was taken to in Portland, OR which locals there described to me as "great." It's a huge step up from Smoothie King, that's for sure. Prices are reasonable. There actually aren't many other places quite like it in the city. Thumbs up!

This was the waitress telling me this, so who knows what's really up. But apparently Adesso getting a pretty sweet location on Federal Hill and will be able to have a roofdeck, I don't know where though. A roofdeck would make them pretty enviable on the hill, besides the places in DePasquale Square, nothing has very good outdoor dining, I'm not really eager to eat on the Atwells sidewalks, a few other places have back alley seating, but it's an alley...

The gelato place is Roba Dolce, I haven't had the gelato yet, but I agree, it's a surprisingly good place.

Of course everyone complains about parking downcity, but when dining on Federal Hill, where does one park?

I consider parking near Thayer for general purposes much easier than Federal Hill, if only because the sides streets near Thayer (where the parking is) feel much safer than the ones around the Hill. For dining purposes, most Hill restaurants have valet parking (as does Adesso as well in its current location, I believe). However, valet parking can sometimes be sketchy too, as I've seen them put people's cars on those same side street locations you could find on your own...

Thus, I doubt the move is about parking (Adesso actually has their own little lot in front of their place right now). It's probably more about this outdoor/roof dining opportunity that Cotuit mentioned, if that indeed is the case. That would actually be pretty cool (and unique for Prov) and probably draw them some business all by itself.

- Garris

I consider parking near Thayer for general purposes much easier than Federal Hill, if only because the sides streets near Thayer (where the parking is) feel much safer than the ones around the Hill.

- Garris

While I agree with your notion, I will say that my car was broken into on while I ate/drank at Kartabar a few years back. I was parked on Meeting Street, I believe. The thieves ripped out my whole stereo console.

Of course everyone complains about parking downcity, but when dining on Federal Hill, where does one park? I don't recall reading any complaints concerning parking on or off Atwells Ave. Is this an issue? Do the police agressively tag cars up there?

i always park on the corner of dean and i think federal st. it's a big 6 way intersection or soemthing like that. i always find parking around there. it's not one of the sketchier feeling side streets either, and only about a block from atwells (and since i usually eat at cassarino's, it's right there...)

While I agree with your notion, I will say that my car was broken into on while I ate/drank at Kartabar a few years back. I was parked on Meeting Street, I believe. The thieves ripped out my whole stereo console.

There's a surprising amount of daylight break-ins in the 'better' areas of College Hill.

i always park on the corner of dean and i think federal st. it's a big 6 way intersection or soemthing like that. i always find parking around there. it's not one of the sketchier feeling side streets either, and only about a block from atwells (and since i usually eat at cassarino's, it's right there...)

There's a nursing home right there, and the Bendell Sign parking lot is the one the valets use, so there's a lot of activity around there to scare off theives.

Ok, everyone... Here's one I need help with:

I was asked the following question today by a coworker:

"I need to take someone out to dinner from Boston who refuses to believe that Providence is a great 'restaurant town' and nothing here can be nearly as good as Boston."

Now, we all know Providence is a good restaurant town and we all know the big names around here.

But I've never taken someone from out of town here to impress them about Providence, per se... Which places have you taken folks from out of town that they've said, "Wow, this is great. I'd love to have this in my city." I'd ideally want to recommend a place that gives them the Providence city "flavor" as well.

So, here's my preliminary suggestion list:

Expensive:

- Mill's Tavern

- Cafe Nuovo

- Neath's

- Gatehouse

- Gracie's

- XO

Medium:

- Ten Steak and Sushi

- Downcity

- Red Stripe

- 3 Steeple

Inexpensive:

- Cuban Revolution

- Belle D

- Roba Dolce

None of our Asian is noteworthy, and I don't think our Italian (despite volume) is distinctive enough.

I was going to recommend, since this person's friend apparently tends to go for slicker, American Bistro type places, XO, 10 S&S, or stay in Wayland Sq (near where he lives) and walk to Red Stripe followed by drinks at Starbucks across the street.

I posted this as well on the Chowhound site, but I am interested in the ideas of everyone here. Where have you taken out of towners where they've been impressed?

- Garris

Providence, RI

Hey Garris,

I doubt it's what your co-worker had in mind, but under your "inexpensive" category I would put Pawtucket's Garden Grille up against _any_ similarly priced vegetarian restaurant (in ten years of frequently Manhattan's vegetarian restaurents, I never had better).

If your co-worker's friend is staying the night, maybe they could go to GG for a light lunch after wowing him/her with a fancier place the previous evening...

PVDJack

Ok, everyone... Here's one I need help with:

I was asked the following question today by a coworker:

"I need to take someone out to dinner from Boston who refuses to believe that Providence is a great 'restaurant town' and nothing here can be nearly as good as Boston."

Now, we all know Providence is a good restaurant town and we all know the big names around here.

But I've never taken someone from out of town here to impress them about Providence, per se... Which places have you taken folks from out of town that they've said, "Wow, this is great. I'd love to have this in my city." I'd ideally want to recommend a place that gives them the Providence city "flavor" as well.

So, here's my preliminary suggestion list:

Expensive:

- Mill's Tavern

- Cafe Nuovo

- Neath's

- Gatehouse

- Gracie's

- XO

Medium:

- Ten Steak and Sushi

- Downcity

- Red Stripe

- 3 Steeple

Inexpensive:

- Cuban Revolution

- Belle D

- Roba Dolce

None of our Asian is noteworthy, and I don't think our Italian (despite volume) is distinctive enough.

I was going to recommend, since this person's friend apparently tends to go for slicker, American Bistro type places, XO, 10 S&S, or stay in Wayland Sq (near where he lives) and walk to Red Stripe followed by drinks at Starbucks across the street.

I posted this as well on the Chowhound site, but I am interested in the ideas of everyone here. Where have you taken out of towners where they've been impressed?

- Garris

Providence, RI

Fidas. OK, I'm joking. Al Forno's good. ( great view, good food, and the area is packed on weekends) I also think Wickenden Street is the most impressionable street to outsiders not from Prov. There are plenty of great restaurants there and the street has a lively vibe. I've taken out-of towners there and walked the street and they've been impressed. It's close to everything. You can't go wrong.

I would add New Rivers to your list of places to take out of town guests. You could start at XO for a drink and walk across the street.

I went to Tammany Hall for the first time Friday night and I wouldn't take anybody there. The best thing I can say about the experience is that the blade sign on the facade looks great. Most of the patrons were smoking cigars and the room was a blue cloud of smoke. The menu was 75% fried food and at least half the dishes had bacon. The clientele was mostly middle-aged guys yelling at each other in Vo Dilun accents and leering at the waitresses. I was expecting something much more hip and was disappointed.

Archived