Providence Dining Experiences and Reviews

Garris

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last Friday night I went to AS220 to see my friends' bands perform (Frosting, Waterbed, and Super Chief Trio). It was a fantastic show. There were 4 bands, actually, and it cost $6 - can't beat that.

Anyway, this was a fantastic opportunity for me and my friends to check out the new cafe at AS220, Taqueria Pacifica.

I had the best cheese quesadilla that I'd ever tasted.

My friends all seemed to really enjoy their burritos.

The staff was not only friendly, but when I asked if I could bring the food into the performance space, not only were they quick to pack my food to go, but incredibly pleasant and helpful.

I very much look forward to going back.

Oh, and the prices were very reasonable. I might even go as far as... cheap!

In time for the Super Bowl, where does everyone think Providence's best Buffalo Chicken Fingers are to be found?

I vote for Sax's in East Providence.

Other ideas?

- Garris

Wes Rib House has good take-out for finger food. ( Dike St. , Olneyville )

In time for the Super Bowl, where does everyone think Providence's best Buffalo Chicken Fingers are to be found?

I vote for Sax's in East Providence.

Other ideas?

- Garris

It aint exactly Providence, but I have yet to find buffalo fingers that top those of good ol' Charlie O's of Narragansett. I have been searching for their equal since college.

My free meal tonight was at Parkside. I thought it was very good, I had a prosciutto and provalone ravioli in an anise sauce with scallops. Very yummy. The Thai Dumplin appetizer was delish. The best part was the Chai-tini though, yum! It was my first time eating in the restaurant, I've been once before, but ate outside. I enjoyed it, but the people who I was with who were sitting in chairs (I was on a plush banquette) said the chairs were uncomfortable, just cloth over wood with not enough cushion.

Free meal report tomorrow is from L'Epicureo, first time dining with their new chef.

PS: I had lunch today at Spoodles (not free -_- ). I thought it was good and reasonably priced. I had the Buffalo Chicken Ceasar Wrap. It was $6 which I've heard people say is a lot, but you can really only get a better price at Subway or Quizno's, which are not nearly as good. The place was relatively crowded, I went right at noon, and the staff was very friendly (also something you tend not to find at Subway or Quiznos). I think Spoodles compares well to Box Lunch. Shock of shock, we found a parking space right outside! :shok:

Spoiled brat!!! :P:P:P:D

I'll expand on my criptic response and make Frankie more jealous.

First, making Frankie jealous: We've been invited back.

Why? We had a tasting menu, which means the chef chooses what he serves us. This is all fine and well, except we didn't like anything the chef served us. I was rather dissappointed that they've poached a french chef from Boston. I'm sure he's very accomplished, but the restaurant has historically been italian (hence the italian name). I'm quite sure that everything on the menu is well prepared and good from the perspective of someone who has a taste for these things, I'm just not that person.

We're going back to choose our own items off the menu so that we can choose items we'd actually like normally and be able to give an opinion from there.

I'll expand on my criptic response and make Frankie more jealous.

First, making Frankie jealous: We've been invited back.

Why? We had a tasting menu, which means the chef chooses what he serves us. This is all fine and well, except we didn't like anything the chef served us. I was rather dissappointed that they've poached a french chef from Boston. I'm sure he's very accomplished, but the restaurant has historically been italian (hence the italian name). I'm quite sure that everything on the menu is well prepared and good from the perspective of someone who has a taste for these things, I'm just not that person.

We're going back to choose our own items off the menu so that we can choose items we'd actually like normally and be able to give an opinion from there.

so what do you do that you get invited for free meals at restaurants?

Seriously, has L'Epicureo & Gracies gone that much down hill since moving downcity?

I haven't been to Gracies yet, but from everything I hear, it is terrific. I would categorize L'Epicureo right now as experiencing some growing pains. It's a vastly different restaurant than it was on the Hill. When it was on the Hill it was a small neighbourhood place. Now it's in a major hotel, frequently hosting events, and has gone more upscale than it was on the Hill.

My uncle is a serious foodie (and has big $$$). He was in town recently for a business meeting and stayed at the Hotel Providence on my recommendation. He and his partner and their client all ate a L'Epicureo and absolutely loved it.

However, from his description I can see it being a little more of a niche cuisine than it was. Not necessarily for everyone.

I haven't been to Gracies yet, but from everything I hear, it is terrific. I would categorize L'Epicureo right now as experiencing some growing pains.

I've loved my two visits to Gracies since its move downtown, but it too is different from what it was before. It was a tiny, neighborhood gem. Now it's a big time "Theater District" type of restaurant. Food is still tremendous, though...

My L'Epicureo experience wasn't great either. When I made reservations for our party of six, it was the only restaurant in Providence that has asked me for a credit card in advance so they could charge me if we changed or cancelled the reservation. That quirk alone (not counting the unimpressive dinner) will prevent me from rescheduling for us professionally, as we occasionally do need to cancel, and I don't want to be out the $25 or so fine...

I have to say, think what you will about McCormick and Schmick's food (I think they're slightly above average, definitely better then when they opened), they treated our party really, really, really well, with top draw service and obvious enthusiasm. They're the only restaurant here that has ever called me the day after to make sure everything was satisfactory and to encourage us to return. Strong work on their part...

- Garris

I have to say, think what you will about McCormick and Schmick's food (I think they're slightly above average, definitely better then when they opened)

I had lunch at M&S a few months ago and it was much better than it was right after they opened. I'd still recommend Hemmenway's over them, but I wouldn't tell anyone not to go there.

anyone try blaze eastside on hope st? i saw this posting on craigslist about it. sounds like they don't have very good management... just wondering if it's accurate or if anyone here has a review of the place.

My wife actually called Blaze last week to make a reservation but was informed that they used to take reservations but it didn't work out so now they don't. Strange. I don't know anything about the restaurant business, but I can't understand how taking reservations can "not work out".

I was in there once, and we waited for 10 minutes in the front of the place to be seated. There was never anybody at the hostess stand. We ended up leaving. I have heard this from a lot of people as well. A few people I have spoken to say they have decent food, just seems the management is very poor.

Archived