Providence Dining Experiences and Reviews

Garris

Also, LJ's Barbeque is moving from its Douglas Ave. location to East Ave. near the Providence/Pawtucket line.

Yup, I'm counting down the days to this move... I love LJ's. That area of Oak Hill is all of a sudden a little food powerhouse, with Garden Grille, LJ's, Barney's, Ran Zen, India, Maximillian's, Restaurant Oak, and Chez Pascal in the same area fronting Lippett Park.

- Garris

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup, I'm counting down the days to this move... I love LJ's. That area of Oak Hill is all of a sudden a little food powerhouse, with Garden Grille, LJ's, Barney's, Ran Zen, India, Maximillian's, Restaurant Oak, and Chez Pascal in the same area fronting Lippett Park.

- Garris

I assume this is a ways off as they haven't even really started work. I assume this is going into the spot that used to be occupied by the grocery store in the plaza, next to Brooks. I haven't even seen contractors over there yet, but it could just be the times I go by. I hope it does well there. Honestly I almost forget that the back building of that plaza is even there, and the only reason the plaza is remarkable to me at all is the GG.

I assume this is a ways off as they haven't even really started work. I assume this is going into the spot that used to be occupied by the grocery store in the plaza, next to Brooks. I haven't even seen contractors over there yet, but it could just be the times I go by. I hope it does well there. Honestly I almost forget that the back building of that plaza is even there, and the only reason the plaza is remarkable to me at all is the GG.

Hi this is a great resource. Will post more later. LJ

Hi this is a great resource. Will post more later. LJ’s will move in February I’ve been told. It’s into the space where the oriental rug shop was which is next door to Barney’s.

Welcome Chester!!

I had heard February as well. That plaza really sneaks up on you. I lived here for months and never gave it a second thought until someone dragged me to the Garden Grille. Now, with GG, Barneys, and LJ's there?? It'll be a second home!

On a different topic, I've been back to Red Stripe twice in the last couple of weeks, and it's really excellent, especially for the price. I have yet to have a bad dish there. It's the place I recommended my coworker ultimately take his Providence-doubting friend from Boston.

- Garris

- Garris

Garris, your love of the local dining scence has been well stated here, but I must ask you, as a well traveled man, what you consider to be the best overall dining city that you've lived in!?

Garris, your love of the local dining scence has been well stated here, but I must ask you, as a well traveled man, what you consider to be the best overall dining city that you've lived in!?

A great question that's almost impossible to answer. How do you compare NYC to a town of 2,000 people? Obviously, Manhattan is a huge restaurant city. Little else in the US can compare with its scope and depth... One of my co-workers is going on a two month clinical elective to NYC, and she's essentially planning to eat her way through the city and can't find enough time to barely scratch the surface of what it has to offer.

That said, I was really impressed by Minneapolis/St. Paul. When I lived in MN from '00 to '04, the restaurant scene was really hoping, and unlike many other cities (especially Northeastern ones currently) where the trend was blended fusion cuisines, the trend in the Twin Cities was towards hyper-authenticity. So you had amazing Ethiopian, Indian, Malayasian, Italian, Vietnamese, Cambodian, Japanese, Cuban, Afghan, Tibetian, etc restaurants all fighting each other by which offered the most true-to-home recipes and flavors. From million-dollar downtown restaurants to strip malls in the suburbs, you could find Taiwanese noodle shops, Liberian cafes, Japanese comfort food, and Korean BBQ's, all as authentic as could be, and all jam packed. Can you imagine that here? It was a tremendous place to learn food.

I love visiting Philadelphia and San Francisco, obviously neither of which I've lived in. Both are tremendous restaurant towns that offer, per capita, probably more interesting and excellent places than anywhere else in the nation. I've known foodies from NYC that make regular trips to Philly to try new places.

The tiny, 1,900 strong Hudson River Village of Cold Spring (an antiquing town on the river 90 minutes North of NYC on the MetroNorth line) is, like Westminster or Weybosset, a perfectly preserved town of buildings dating from the Revolution to 1900. It's also studded with some great B&B's and restaurants, many with live music, and is a favorite weekend destination of Manhattanites. I grew up 20 minutes from it...

Otherwise, most of the New York metro outside of NYC underachieves food-wise dramatically, including White Plains, NY and Stamford, CT. I have to say that Boston hasn't blown me away with the places I've been. It has what I'd expect it to have, and not much more... New Haven used to be a terrible restaurant town (especially when I lived there), but that has been rapidly changing now. Madison WI, besides the great State St area, was somewhat disappointing.

I think we're pretty darn lucky here in Providence!! For a city of our size, we have a tremendously vibrant restaurant scene. I really, really wish we had:

- Better Chinese

- A broader ethnic food mix

- A top-flight tapas place

Otherwise, we lack for little!

- Garris

I think we're pretty darn lucky here in Providence!! For a city of our size, we have a tremendously vibrant restaurant scene. I really, really wish we had:

- Better Chinese

- Garris

WOW!!! I'm really quite surprised by your reponse. Especially the part about Chinese food. I thought we had some damn good chinese food in the area. But have you ever had chinese food in the Attleboro/N. Attleboro area? East Bay RI, Bristol County MA?

- Better Chinese

- Garris

a new "spanish" restaurant just opened up on admiral st near the shaw's plaza. it's a smaller place. haven't had the food yet, but it smelled good. i think it's more hispanic (like latin american) than true spanish (although the sign says spanish) because the people are hispanic and the menu seems mostly latin american type foods.

WOW!!! I'm really quite surprised by your reponse. Especially the part about Chinese food. I thought we had some damn good chinese food in the area. But have you ever had chinese food in the Attleboro/N. Attleboro area? East Bay RI, Bristol County MA?

I haven't had Chinese in those areas, but Chinese in metro Providence is pretty grim stuff compared to what I'm used to having from living in NYC and near the Twin Cities. And Chinese there was a solid level down from what I had when travelling to Vancouver and San Francisco. And, of course, friends from Taiwan and Hong Kong say what's there is a pale imitation of what's available at the best restaurants in those two nations. I haven't been impressed by the Chinese in Boston either, although I don't think I've been to the "best" places there.

If I have a craving for Chinese food here in Providence, I usually just satisfy it with food from one of our Thai or Japanese restaurants which are, frankly, better for their cuisine class than our Chinese restaurants are for theirs.

- Garris

Have you been to Chan's in Woonsocket? If so, what's your opinion on the food?

I haven't had Chinese in those areas, but Chinese in metro Providence is pretty grim stuff compared to what I'm used to having from living in NYC and near the Twin Cities. And Chinese there was a solid level down from what I had when travelling to Vancouver and San Francisco. And, of course, friends from Taiwan and Hong Kong say what's there is a pale imitation of what's available at the best restaurants in those two nations. I haven't been impressed by the Chinese in Boston either, although I don't think I've been to the "best" places there.

If I have a craving for Chinese food here in Providence, I usually just satisfy it with food from one of our Thai or Japanese restaurants which are, frankly, better for their cuisine class than our Chinese restaurants are for theirs.

- Garris

Considering the populations, I think Vancouver and SF are a little high to be setting your bar, there. :)

I might not have as discrening a tongue for Chinese as you do, but there are a few places I like.

- Little Chopsticks on Smith Hill - haven't been there in a while, though.

- Gourmet House in Hope Village

- Ap Sara in South Providence

These are all admittedly mutli-ethnic which you don't seem to like. However the dishes are not fusion.

Then there is the China Inn in Pawtucket and Chan's in Woonsocket.

In Boston, I don't really know many names. I know places by how to walk to them. :)

Considering the populations, I think Vancouver and SF are a little high to be setting your bar, there. :)

I might not have as discrening a tongue for Chinese as you do, but there are a few places I like.

- Little Chopsticks on Smith Hill - haven't been there in a while, though.

- Gourmet House in Hope Village

- Ap Sara in South Providence

These are all admittedly mutli-ethnic which you don't seem to like. However the dishes are not fusion.

Then there is the China Inn in Pawtucket and Chan's in Woonsocket.

In Boston, I don't really know many names. I know places by how to walk to them. :)

I'm a native NYer, now living in PVD, and I have to agree with Garris on the Chinese restaurant situation. Little Chopsticks and China Inn (Pawtucket) are the closest I've found to what I'm used to. Though my biggest disappointment is that NO Chinese restaurants in the area serve cold sesame noodles. Little Chopsticks has them on the menu, but they're just noodles tossed in sesame oil - with none of that peanutty stuff that the noodles in NY have. Boo.

I'm not expecting that level of quality here, just that like anything, once you've experienced true excellence of a cuisine in that sense, it just puts things in perspective...

Regarding the places you mentioned, my opinions are as follows:

Little Chopsticks on Smith Hill: My favorite Americanized Chinese in the area. There are still some dishes they don't do well at all (their General Tso's and sesame chicken, for example, are far too saucey), but their Taiwanese noodles rock. I fear what would happen if the Department of Health inspectors made a surprise visit, though...

Gourmet House in Hope Village: The prototypical Providence Asian. Lots of cuisines, all done very blandly. Nothing there tastes fresh at all. I've stopped going. When I need local East Side Chinese, I go down the street to Apsara Palace in that aweful strip plaza

Apsara in South Providence: Excellent Southeast Asian/Cambodian/Vietnamese. The Chinese there is Americanized and not particularly strong. Many of these places with 4 cuisines are owned by Cambodians, Hmong, Laotians, etc who include some token Chinese dishes on the menu for familiarity (and the money it brings), and it tastes that way.

China Inn in Pawtucket isn't bad for Americanized fare, and I've never been to Chan's in Woonsocket.

Red Ginger in Johnston is supposed to have excellent Americanized Chinese from what I've heard, and they supposedly deliver to Providence.

As I've posted in the past, the only two authentic Chinese nearby I've had are:

- Lemi's BBQ: Cranston, Hong Kong style, but it's gone a bit downhill lately

- Lucky Garden: North Providence, but I haven't been there in a while since I don't often get around there.

Oh, and as LMWW mentioned, if anyone finds true Cold Sesame noodes on a restaurant's menu, let us know which one. I haven't found any yet either. I was actually going to try to make some...

Where's the good Thai in Providence (if there is any)? I'm missing Pho Pasteur in Boston.

Unfortunately, neither is particularly close to Federal Hill :(, although they may deliver.

- Sawaddee: My Providence favorite. On Hope near Wickenden next to Rue. Extremely tasty, with some authentic dishes you won't find on many other places menus. Portions run a bit small with takeout, however. http://www.sawaddeerestaurant.com

- Thai Star: Down Chalksone, this is often the choice of individuals I know from Thailand living in the area. Make sure to ask for the "Thai menu" in addition to their normal menu.

- Garris

PS: As an aside, I've heard that Iciban in Cranston (Korean and Japanese) is supposed to be decent. Has anyone been?

- Thai Star: Down Chalksone, this is often the choice of individuals I know from Thailand living in the area. Make sure to ask for the "Thai menu" in addition to their normal menu.

i've never asked for the thai menu, but thai star is some of the best thai i've had. granted, i haven't had anywhere near as much as garris, and the only other providence place i've been was pakarang (the underground sea cave according to city search).

thai star would be the closest to fed hill. it's on chalkstone between river ave and academy ave. not the best of areas, but no worse than parts of the hill either. they dont' deliver, but they do take out. i've never had a faster take out then from there... i call from my apt (which also happens to be between river and academy, but i'm just north of eaton st), and then i leave to go pick it up and it's ready when i get there. :thumbsup:

the takeout portions don't seem smaller than the dine-in portions.

Yup, Thai Star does fast takeout with good portions. They're near the VA, so I've gone not infrequently.

To those who haven't been, Pakarang is really more like Thai-lite fusion, like what the "India" restaurant chain is to Indian food.

- Garris

Yup, Thai Star does fast takeout with good portions. They're near the VA, so I've gone not infrequently.

To those who haven't been, Pakarang is really more like Thai-lite fusion, like what the "India" restaurant chain is to Indian food.

- Garris

I'm in full agreement about Sawaddee and Thai Star! Sawaddee does deliver via mobile menu, but I like to eat in as they often have great specials that are not listed on the regular menu (and thus, not on our radar screens when we order from the take-out menu).

Where's the good Thai in Providence (if there is any)? I'm missing Pho Pasteur in Boston. :cry:

You may want good Thai, but isn't Pho Pasteur Vietnamese?

Also, I know you can get cold sesame noodles in Boston. I'd love to tell you where, but I can't. I also don't know if they are good enough.

Have you been to Chan's in Woonsocket? If so, what's your opinion on the food?

Chans has some of the most awful chinese food I have ever had. It has great kitsch factor in terms of decor, but the food is just disgusting. On the upside, you can always order the woonsocket favorite Chop Suey Sandwich. It seems like every few years we end up there because it seems like it will be amusing and I always leave thinking it was way worse than I thought it could be.

Liam

I had lunch today at Smokey Bones for the first time and I was impressed by the decor and wait staff. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. Every table has a volume control box to allow the diner to listen to whichever TV set he/she chooses. Besides ribs and chicken, the menu also included steak, burgers and seafod. The baby back ribs were ok, but I still have Wes' at the top of my list. I'll definately go back again. They seem to want to draw a sports crowd since there are so many mounted TV sets.

I had lunch today at Smokey Bones for the first time and I was impressed by the decor and wait staff. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. Every table has a volume control box to allow the diner to listen to whichever TV set he/she chooses. Besides ribs and chicken, the menu also included steak, burgers and seafod. The baby back ribs were ok, but I still have Wes' at the top of my list. I'll definately go back again. They seem to want to draw a sports crowd since there are so many mounted TV sets.

i, personally, LOVE smokey bones. the bbq there is actually really good. i worry, though, that they aren't drawing enough customers. i've gone in there at the "busy" restaurant times and there's never been a wait. there's also never been a large crowd there. i think part of it might have to do with their location. they have the most remote location in the mall. they're directly across the street from the gtech construction, and that highway entrance ramp right next to it doesn't really help either. no one crosses that by the mall. but regardless of the lack of crowds, the food there is excellent, as is the service, and the waitstaff. and it's relatively cheap too (at least compared to the other mall restaurants).

i assume you're talking about the one in the mall and not the one in warwick...

i, personally, LOVE smokey bones. the bbq there is actually really good. i worry, though, that they aren't drawing enough customers. i've gone in there at the "busy" restaurant times and there's never been a wait. there's also never been a large crowd there. i think part of it might have to do with their location. they have the most remote location in the mall. they're directly across the street from the gtech construction, and that highway entrance ramp right next to it doesn't really help either. no one crosses that by the mall. but regardless of the lack of crowds, the food there is excellent, as is the service, and the waitstaff. and it's relatively cheap too (at least compared to the other mall restaurants).

i assume you're talking about the one in the mall and not the one in warwick...

the one in warwick is always slammed. The location in PP is definitely a problem. It's really hard to sell that spot, I would have to think. In that spot you are completely disconnected from the mall and almost on the corner where there is little foot traffic. Fire & Ice seems to do ok but they were there from the beginning and have a certain specific cachet, and you can't find an easy substitute for them if that's what you want to eat. The Uno's does ok but it is slow compared to suburban ones that I see. Basically I think these family type restaurants have a little bit of a challenge being in the city. Unless a family is already going to the mall, they don't want to deal with parking at the mall and then walking all the way around it to get to these places. And most people who actually shop at the mall seem to end up at Cheesecake Factory. I do hope that Smokey bones does well and it should get better when GTech is finished and even moreso with Westin II and Waterplace.

Archived