Providence Dining Experiences and Reviews

Garris

I just got to say that Emily (I think her name was Emily) at Trinity Brewhouse is a shining star! She was our waitress for the forum meeting last night and she moved tables around for us, kept the beer flowing, was very friendly, and managed to keep all the seperate checks straight. Excellent job!

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went to Cilantro last night and saw notices posted that they are indeed opening the second location at Douglas Crossing on Mineral Spring Avenue. I haven't even seen John (the owner) in weeks because he's been working all the time. I hope he does as well at the new place although I am unsure of who the market is over there as the lunchtime crowd is his best business...

there's a lot of lunchtime traffic on mineral spring, and douglas crossing already has d'angelos and boston market... they'll probably do well there.

I went to Cilantro last night and saw notices posted that they are indeed opening the second location at Douglas Crossing on Mineral Spring Avenue. I haven't even seen John (the owner) in weeks because he's been working all the time. I hope he does as well at the new place although I am unsure of who the market is over there as the lunchtime crowd is his best business...

Best of luck to him! He's always been quite friendly, the food is good, and the fact that it's a local business makes it even more attractive to me.

is there any more news on Barney's? I was thinking today that they must supply bagels to an incredible number of small restaurants and coffee houses in the greater Providence area. I wouldn't even know where to get wholesale bagels (damn you, tree-tearing Sysco!) if i was a small food service company like a breakfast place!

is there any more news on Barney's? I was thinking today that they must supply bagels to an incredible number of small restaurants and coffee houses in the greater Providence area. I wouldn't even know where to get wholesale bagels (damn you, tree-tearing Sysco!) if i was a small food service company like a breakfast place!

I'm wondering the same. Speaking of which, I just started an account with Munroe Dairy (the folks in the groovy old milk trucks- they'll deliver all kinds of local dairy in glass bottles and other grocery items right to your door- very old-timey.) and Barney's Bagels are on thier list of available items! I ordered some- I guess we'll know if Barney's is still baking somewhere out there when my order arrives on Monday. I'll report back!

Anyone else get Munroe delivery? Any experiences or comments?

This gave me my biggest laugh of the day so far... Thanks!

Boy, your lunches are far more expensive than mine! :whistling: Thanks for the review! I agree with you that Big Fish is, on the aggregate, just fine. I love their mixed drinks, and you're right that they certainly have the best bathrooms in Providence. I still often prefer Hemenways or McCormick and Schmick's, however. I'll often recommend Big Fish to families that want to go out but still get good quality, adult food.

- Garris

Hey, my bill for yesterday was $43. Went for the seafood bolognese (shrimp, lobster, clams and scallops, over lingine) which was excellent. I found it strange that they gave me corn bread with my meal. The crab cake appertizer I ordered were awful. They were soggy and mushy.

tried to go to LJ's last night... holy crap! it's so different than the old place. we didn't end up eating there because there wsa a bit of a wait at 6:20!! i was shocked. i guess that's why they moved... i wish they were still near me. :(

ended up eating at the trinity... they make a great irish stout (it's nearly guinness). i got the grilled sausage platter. my god was it a lot of food. 2 large pieces of sausage, a HUGE pile of mashed potatoes, and a little greens salad. the sausage was awesome. one of them was this chicken apple flavored sausage. it was to die for. topped it off with their IPA. my fiancee got the shepherd's pie, said it was pretty dry.

tried to go to LJ's last night... holy crap! it's so different than the old place. we didn't end up eating there because there wsa a bit of a wait at 6:20!! i was shocked. i guess that's why they moved... i wish they were still near me. :(

ended up eating at the trinity... they make a great irish stout (it's nearly guinness). i got the grilled sausage platter. my god was it a lot of food. 2 large pieces of sausage, a HUGE pile of mashed potatoes, and a little greens salad. the sausage was awesome. one of them was this chicken apple flavored sausage. it was to die for. topped it off with their IPA. my fiancee got the shepherd's pie, said it was pretty dry.

might i recommend the butterscotch pudding the next time you're at Trinity? it is easily the best pudding in the known universe.

I thought the tenders were much better at Smokey Bones.

I'll have to try the ones at Smokey Bones. I like that the ones at Sax's are really, really hot, which many places really don't do.

Sax's is also opening a branch in East Providence on Broadway next to Casa Brazil.

- Garris

Random, but I went to Blake's the other night, and they have the most amazing chicken fingers (not breaded or fried, just grilled and juicy with honey mustard sauce). Good and healthy

i wonder if they are new on the menu because i've had just the worst fried tough chicken fingers there in the past. my last experience was so lackluster that i don't even consider them for lunch anymore.

Sad, sad article :cry: . I guess, unless someone has some other suggestions, it'll be for me:

- Bagels: Bagel Gourmet Ole

- Lox: East Side Market

- Whitefish Salad: Davis Deli on Hope

I wish East Side Market had better bagels, but there're really not that good... Like the bagels I used to get in the Midwest. Like dense white bread with holes in the center :sick:

No one has mentioned Gourmet, on Hope St. next to Tortilla Flats map. They are a “take and bake” place...

Why is it so hard to find NY pizza outside of the greater NY area?

Gourmet is indeed very, very good. The pies are truly huge. Quite pricey, though.

Why so hard to find NY Style Pizza outside the NY area? Good question... Maybe the same reason it's so hard to find bagels anywhere else that taste like NY bagels? The water there changes the taste/texture of the dough?

- Garris

I can feel the bagel pain. A good bagel (and good lox, etc) is essential. When I first moved to Philadelphia from Boston for med school, I had been used to getting a decent bagel pretty easily. I had to work hard to find a bagel in Philadelphia!

I've heard the bagel lament from others in Philadelphia, but I've also heard it quite a bit from those in Boston as well. Care to share where the good bagel source is in Boston? I just found out there are places in both JP and Arlington which carry H&H bagels from New York (the most perfect bagels I've ever had), although I hear the ones for NY export aren't quite the same as those you can buy on the streets in NYC (a different dough or produced by a different company from the same general recipe).

I think the closing of Barney's here might finally force me to start trying to make my own at home.

- Garris

PS: I looove big soft pretzels, so word that Philly is the world epicenter for this (and that I'll probably be visiting Philly in a month or two) is good news. Where is the best soft pretzel in Philly?

I've heard the bagel lament from others in Philadelphia, but I've also heard it quite a bit from those in Boston as well. Care to share where the good bagel source is in Boston? I just found out there are places in both JP and Arlington which carry H&H bagels from New York (the most perfect bagels I've ever had), although I hear the ones for NY export aren't quite the same as those you can buy on the streets in NYC (a different dough or produced by a different company from the same general recipe).

I think the closing of Barney's here might finally force me to start trying to make my own at home.

I am a huge lover of Iggy's bagels- baked somewhere in the Boston area and available at Whole Foods. They aren't really a NY-style bagel, but are VERY chewy and flavorful- I, too hate the bagels that are just white bread with holes in them. What's the point?

I discovered they have Iggy's at the WF on North Main, too, much to my delight (although a kind of limited selection). The "everything" are my favorite- they have all kinds of yummy seeds on them. My problem is that WF is a hell of a long way to haul myself for bagels, considering that I do the rest of my shopping via Eastside or the Urban Greens coop. Hell if I'm going to drive all the way over there for just bagels, and then find out the're out.

I haven't yet investigated if they also have them at the Wayland WF- again, I can't bring myself to drive all the way across the city in the off chance they might have the right kind of bagel in stock.

I am a huge lover of Iggy's bagels...

I've heard about them, but haven't tried... That'll be next on my list...

I haven't yet investigated if they also have them at the Wayland WF...

I'm going there Monday afternoon... I'll check it out...

Maybe we can lobby East Side Market to stock a decent bagel. I'm somewhat surprised their bagel collection is so blah, considering the rest of their bread stock is quite good and their deli selection is very comprehensive.

The poor bagel quality is even more surprising given that their coverage of Jewish ethnic foods in the bakery, deli, and overall store is actually quite impressive, buffering the Barney's loss quite well.

- Garris

There is this INCREDIBLE bagel place in Fall River. I think its called something as facile as NY Bagels and it is either on, or right off of Highland Avenue. I've only been there twice and each time i don't even know how i found it, but they are really wonderful. Perhaps i need to take a pilgramage out there and report back or maybe someone here knows all about them already...

I'm blanking on quality bagels in Boston, but perhaps it was just the availability of bagels that I so took for granted! Anything from hi-rise bakery in Cambridge is always sooo good.

Luckily, you can find a good soft pretzel anywhere in Philadelphia! They are all available in the street vendor carts, in most convenience stores -- if you wanted to be guaranteed a soft pretzel, you could get one at Reading Terminal Market. Actually, come to think of it, when I went into Wawa this morning (do they have those in Providence?) they had a whole box of them at the front counter. I think good soft pretzels are simply just soft -- if they are slippery (bad) or too hard (stale) it's not so good. I usually give them a little squeeze when I pick them up -- they are usually individually wrapped in plastic wrap -- and then I know if they're good. I personally like to brush a little of the salt off before eating, because otherwise it can get a little crazy. :)

Also, if you want the fully legit Philadelphia soft pretzel experience, you're supposed to put mustard on it.

One of my favorite Philadelphia postcards is of a guy dressed up as Benjamin Franklin who is joyously dousing his soft pretzel in mustard!

I haven't gotten to sample too much of Philadelphia's famous cuisine due to my medical student budget, but a few places that are favorites are Sabrina's for brunch (near the Italian Market), Azure for inexpensive but excellent food and drinks (American, includes veggie and vegan options) (Northern Liberties), Standard Tap for a bar (No. Libs.) and for an "upscale casual" time: Tria in Rittenhouse -- devoted to the three pleasures of fermentation -- beer, wine and cheese! Excellent international choices for beer/wine, and yummy food, not too expensive. Many people love Monks (Rittenhouse), and it's pretty good, but often too crowded -- I prefer the sibling restaurant/bar Nodding Head, also in Rittenhouse.

These suggestions will definitely not break the bank, but some others who know Philly and have been able to go out to restaurants a lot might have some other suggestions.

Or maybe you know Philly well and you already know where you're going to go out to eat!

Priscilla

(Looking forward to when I can discuss the Providence food scene instead of just Philly's!)

I am a huge lover of Iggy's bagels...I haven't yet investigated if they also have them at the Wayland WF

I was in there this evening and didn't see them... I tried the standard Whole Foods plain bagel, and while it wasn't Brueggers level bad, they're only average... Somewhat chewy, but more due to high density than to chewy texture. There's no sensation of breaking through a crispy crust into a light, chewy interior. The density is high and uniform, and the interior even has that ultra white bread look to it. One bagel alone nearly made me full for dinner.

I'll keep looking... I definitely need to track down that Fall River place...

I'm blanking on quality bagels in Boston, but perhaps it was just the availability of bagels that I so took for granted! Anything from hi-rise bakery in Cambridge is always sooo good.

(Looking forward to when I can discuss the Providence food scene instead of just Philly's!)

Thanks for the Philly tips! I'll also have to check out the Hi-Rise bakery next time I'm in Boston (probably later this week).

Almost everyone I know who's come from Philly to Providence feels a bit of a let down, for lack of a better term, when they arrive here. Providence is more what New Haven wants to be when it grows up more than a city of Philly's size, bustle, or stature. I often think Philly is like a very big Providence... I hope the relative smallness here doesn't let you down at first. But Providence is a nooks-and-crannies city. There's so much uniqueness and funkiness to explore. It's obviously grown on all of us!

- Garris

PS: Did someone here mention Archie Moore's wings in New Haven? Man, I can taste those 14 years later. Are they still there? They were almost singlehandedly responsible for my freshman weight gain at Yale :).

Archived