Providence Dining Experiences and Reviews

Garris

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Lemi's BBQ space is getting a new restaurant. It appears to be a Japanese noodle shop - but I'm getting too old to retain details - like the name :blink: - and I'll have to ask the bus driver to slow down as we pass it.

Elmwood Ave has a new Asian fish market and a new Asian restaurant coming to newly renovated retail spaces on the corner Parkis Ave. Needs some exploration.

Wow - that was a vague post.

The organizers of a national campaign battling corporate sales of bottled water lined up four glasses in front of Providence Mayor David N. Cicilline yesterday morning at the Local 121 restaurant on Washington Street. One was filled with Providence tap water, the others contained three popular brands of bottled water.

• 5 weeks later...
Having not yet tried Rick's Roadhouse or this new place that is opening (maybe opened already?) on Ives St, I would say that Providence does not even have good BBQ offerings.

Wes's is just awful. Not real BBQ. Everything is tough and grilled shoe leather.

LJ's tries, but also falls short. Everything from the meat to the sauce to the sides are just wanting. I have had a good burger there though, but not what I would want to go there before.

Stickyfingers used to be pretty good, but ever since the owner passed, it just has fallen downhill.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Chilangos, sad to say.. You are dead to me.. I took a date there for some cheap mexi eats, and watched in horror as a cucaracha waved at me from the middle fountain looking thing... Its too bad.. That place was an Ank Staple..

Has anyone else noticed the quality of food has really gone down? Seems like everywhere I go its awful.. I had a really bad experience @ 3 Steeple Street the other week.. About the only positive in PVD lately have been Temple Downtown.

I haven't been eating out quite as much lately, but when I do, it's usually Julian's because they are always consistent with their quality. I wasn't overly impressed by Temple the first time I tried it and haven't been back since.

On another note, has anyone been to New Haven Apizza on Mineral Spring (it's over by the beginning of Mineral Spring near Centerdale)?

I've cut back on eating out too, but mostly due to the fact that my wife is not working full time anymore since we had a baby last spring. The meals I have had out recently have all been excellent. We took my parents to Nick's the other week, and they raved about it. They are foodies, and my father said it had been a long time since he saw such a creative, original menu, and enjoyed such delicious flavors. We all tried each other's meals, and it was hard to pick a favorite between them. My seared tuna with black-olive risotto was excellent. Every seat was filled in the place. Eventually they plan on expanding a bit next door, although I'm not sure when. I imagine it's hard to find the perfect balance between maximizing patrons and making sure all your tables are filled.

Yesterday my mother in law took us out to lunch at Red Stripe - it was packed for Sunday brunch, but we got a table pretty quickly. The food took a bit too long to come, but the burger I had was excellent, and I was basically still full by dinner time.

The other places I frequent for cheap eats are Phoenix Dragon and United BBQ. I still need to try the Noodles place on Ives, and I'm somewhat ashamed to admit that I haven't been to La Laiterie yet.

Archived