Atlanta VS Charlotte

Skyybutter

I was wondering if someone could post the violent crime rates in both cities. i know that here in charlotte we have had a rather large leap in violent crime so far this year, but what i do know is that atlanta has pretty much always been a lot more of a dangerous place. my brother goes to Morehouse College and his girlfriend attends Clark Atlanta University, and talking to both of them on the phone this weekend, apparently Atlanta's violent crime rate (The AUC particularly) has increased on top of a already high rate. his girlfriend told me a couple hours ago that FOURTEEN people at her school since october started have been robbed at gunpoint in broad day light, just walking to or back from class. my brother just went to a precinct on this past tuesday to answer questions about our friend named john (originally from brooklyn and attended morehouse) who just got shot in the back of the head and killed that previous weekend. my bro's girlfriend said she doesnt even go outside anymore except to class, because she knows so many girls, including her suitemate, that have gotten raped and robbed lately. she told me that campus and city officials announced during a small assembly that they have caught some random perps, and they turned out to be new orleans evacuees. they basically implied that a lot of the other university center crimes could be traced back to evacuees, and that by mixing atlanta's already "not-so-uncrime-ridden" population with the amount of new orleans evacuees(which be honest, most of them probably arent saint peter) contributed to the jump in violent crimes in the area lately. Im going to visit them next weekend for Morehouse's home coming. PRAY 4 ME!! :cry:

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

.......they basically implied that a lot of the other university center crimes could be traced back to evacuees, and that by mixing atlanta's already "not-so-uncrime-ridden" population with the amount of new orleans evacuees(which be honest, most of them probably arent saint peter) contributed to the jump in violent crimes in the area lately. Im going to visit them next weekend for Morehouse's home coming. PRAY 4 ME!! :cry:

You know, there is something really offensive in characterizing the NO evacuees as low lifes that are one of the causes of the rise in violent crime. If people pray for you, its not going to be because you are going to Morehouse College.

You know, there is something really offensive in characterizing the NO evacuees as low lifes that are one of the causes of the rise in violent crime. If people pray for you, its not going to be because you are going to Morehouse College.

I totally second this sentiment. Many of the evacuees who came here were and continue to be hard working, productive citizens. You will have shiftless people in every demographic but to attribute a rise in crime.....which local news or newspapers have not reported......to evacuees is very disingenous.

I really was not going to give this post much thought. I find it hard to believe that with Spelman and Morehouse tuition what it is, parents would not be raising a stink to the administrations to get something done. Perhaps your brother should be upfront with your parents and his girlfriend should follow suit. If I was them, I would call the police....not campus police but Atlanta police and complain everyday. I would call WSB, WXIA, WAGA, WGLC and WUPA until somebody picks up the story. If what you say is true then that would be crime out of control and something has to be done about it.

I would think however that if the APD was handling this with no results then this would have trickled over to the local media. If you are that fearful for your safety then my suggestion to you would be to stay in the suburbs and just drive back and forth to visit your brother and his girlfriend. Better yet, get a hotel suite in Duluth and have them come stay with you. Surely you would want your brother to get at least one good night's sleep. :thumbsup:

My only thought regarding crime - believe it or not, here in Atlanta or most anyplace in the country: it is safer. Crime is one of those hot topics everyone - particularly the media - hypes completely out of control. You want to see high crime in Atlanta? Go to the 70's & 80's, crime now is nothing at all like it was then.

im completely sorry if i offended anyone Obviously some things that i wrote were completely misunderstood. the part about the new orleans evacuees was a direct quote from the campus police during an assembly. i understand that you cannot classify one group of people for an enhancement in crime, that is why i mentioned the fact that parts of atlanta, as well as any other city its size, already had a substantial crime rate. and i also was just pointing out the fact that the people they did catch robbing students were a few evacuees because i thought that was interesting. like lady celeste said, "there are shiftless people," but i dont think the police were saying all of them were shiftless, just the ones who committed the crimes.

and to ellaborate to you more lady celeste. parents have been dialing dilligently to police...Just ask the mother of my friend John. she even flew down from brooklyn to complain about her broken heart and her son that she will never get back. i have been talking to her for hours on the phone trying to soothe her as much as possible. Also, its not necessarilly my safety that im concerned with. I did grow up in South East Washington DC and Littele Italy Baltimore, so believe me, i know about crime. its my brother and his girlfriend. they live in that area and they shouldnt be scared or hesitant at all to go outside. ive already lost other family and friends due to violence in DC, and theyre just about all i got left. any way, i will talk to them again before the nights over. my bro said that since last week, there have been alot more atlanta police in the area. i guess time will tell if the crime goes down. once again, sorry if i offended, i just its harder to type what you are trying to convey cuz some people may think you are really saying something in a tone that your actually not.

What it sounds like is the campus police is not sharing with the city police. Something many campus police departments are known to do. When I attended UGA (sometime around it's founding) I was stalked by some real sicko. I was asked not to call the Athens police but to allow the campus police to handle it. Even though we didn't know if the stalker was a student or not.

If the campus police of Morehouse, Spelman, Clark Atlanta and Morris Brown are not seeking help from the city then they are doing the school, faculty and more importantly the student body a disservice. Perhaps they are too concerned with image rather than safety. What I would suggest is to write the AJC (Cynthia Tucker) or call the news station's investigative reporters to pull the crime stats in the area. They could even interview students first hand for information. If what students say are matching what the stats say the they could use the open information act to get the stats from the campus police and/or APD.

I would just be proactive.....not that I'm saying you are not being.

What I suggest to people, when in any city, is to have a heighten awareness of their surroundings. If I'm going downtown, I'm not going to walk around with my Herme's purse or my 5 karat tennis bracelet on. I also know where I am going not to look like an outsider. As a woman, I would never travel after dark without being with multiple people or at least a trusted male.

Thank you completely for that advise. i was not aware that it could sometimes be a fairly common practice for campus police to withold vital information, although i personally recall a similar incident to yours regarding my cousin when she was in school. i think calling the news stations is an excellent idea and something i will advise them to do. the more press, the more of a chance that this will stop very soon!!

The reason i posted in the first place was not to tell my story, but i am still very interested in knowing if anyone knows the violent crime rates in both cities. since i have family in Atlanta now, i was possibly concidering purchasing a house there as well as staying here in Charlotte. if someone could post those, I would be greatful.

The reason i posted in the first place was not to tell my story, but i am still very interested in knowing if anyone knows the violent crime rates in both cities. since i have family in Atlanta now, i was possibly concidering purchasing a house there as well as staying here in Charlotte. if someone could post those, I would be greatful.

Honestly after you asked the forumers to pray for you because you decided to visit someone at a college, it doesn't sound to me that you are really that interested in the VCR as you have already made up your mind about the place. Given this is a CLT vs ATL thread, I would suspect there are other reasons you have made these posts and I don't really care for what you are attempting to imply. I assume you are just as capiable of using Google to find the VCR for a city as anyone else on this forum.

Why don't you drop this now and take it somewhere else.

Sorry to break the conversation on violent crime in Atlanta, but the above comment was in reference to Krazeeboi's comment, which was: "I believe that Charlotte definitely has what it takes to one day be a "hot spot."

Also, I personally have always felt safe when visiting Atlanta (even in the University Center area). Sorry about your loss southernyank, but sometimes you can't always believe what you hear. Violence is everywhere and it's not stopping anytime in the near or far future. I'm not saying your brother is being dishonest about the crime around the University Center area, but maybe he is radar to crime has been heightened since the death of his close friend; Therefore, he is more aware and conscious of the crime going on in the University Center area.

I totally second this sentiment. Many of the evacuees who came here were and continue to be hard working, productive citizens. You will have shiftless people in every demographic but to attribute a rise in crime.....which local news or newspapers have not reported......to evacuees is very disingenous.

I really was not going to give this post much thought. I find it hard to believe that with Spelman and Morehouse tuition what it is, parents would not be raising a stink to the administrations to get something done. Perhaps your brother should be upfront with your parents and his girlfriend should follow suit. If I was them, I would call the police....not campus police but Atlanta police and complain everyday. I would call WSB, WXIA, WAGA, WGLC and WUPA until somebody picks up the story. If what you say is true then that would be crime out of control and something has to be done about it.

I would think however that if the APD was handling this with no results then this would have trickled over to the local media. If you are that fearful for your safety then my suggestion to you would be to stay in the suburbs and just drive back and forth to visit your brother and his girlfriend. Better yet, get a hotel suite in Duluth and have them come stay with you. Surely you would want your brother to get at least one good night's sleep. :thumbsup:

I attend Morehouse College & sometimes...I wish I would've just went somewhere else...like Georgia State, Chapel Hill, or even the Art Institute. The school could really CARE LESS about student safety. I'm not saying this as a broad statement, but as an actual fact. The administration is so stuck on the image & their own salaries to the point where the students (us) have become "numbers" in a computer.

....& you're right...the tuition @ Morehouse/Spelman is RIDICULOUSLY high!

What it sounds like is the campus police is not sharing with the city police. Something many campus police departments are known to do. When I attended UGA (sometime around it's founding) I was stalked by some real sicko. I was asked not to call the Athens police but to allow the campus police to handle it. Even though we didn't know if the stalker was a student or not.

If the campus police of Morehouse, Spelman, Clark Atlanta and Morris Brown are not seeking help from the city then they are doing the school, faculty and more importantly the student body a disservice. Perhaps they are too concerned with image rather than safety. What I would suggest is to write the AJC (Cynthia Tucker) or call the news station's investigative reporters to pull the crime stats in the area. They could even interview students first hand for information. If what students say are matching what the stats say the they could use the open information act to get the stats from the campus police and/or APD.

I would just be proactive.....not that I'm saying you are not being.

What I suggest to people, when in any city, is to have a heighten awareness of their surroundings. If I'm going downtown, I'm not going to walk around with my Herme's purse or my 5 karat tennis bracelet on. I also know where I am going not to look like an outsider. As a woman, I would never travel after dark without being with multiple people or at least a trusted male.

Campus police ABSOLUTELY SUCKS here in the Atl Univ Center!!! Its almost as if we're walking targets in duck season....seriously. Its unfortunate that we lost one of our students recently. But, the administrations of ALL the schools in the Atl Univ Center REALLY need to put some kind of plan of action in force in better ensure our safety. When you're a student @ the Atl Univ Center, you have no choice BUT to become accustomed to abrasive drug-addicts walking alongside you (on your way to the library/dorm/campus/etc.) CONSTANTLY HARASSING for money or a quick hit. Its a SERIOUS problem & petty theft crimes are the norm here.

I was wondering if someone could post the violent crime rates in both cities. i know that here in charlotte we have had a rather large leap in violent crime so far this year, but what i do know is that atlanta has pretty much always been a lot more of a dangerous place. my brother goes to Morehouse College and his girlfriend attends Clark Atlanta University, and talking to both of them on the phone this weekend, apparently Atlanta's violent crime rate (The AUC particularly) has increased on top of a already high rate. his girlfriend told me a couple hours ago that FOURTEEN people at her school since october started have been robbed at gunpoint in broad day light, just walking to or back from class. my brother just went to a precinct on this past tuesday to answer questions about our friend named john (originally from brooklyn and attended morehouse) who just got shot in the back of the head and killed that previous weekend. my bro's girlfriend said she doesnt even go outside anymore except to class, because she knows so many girls, including her suitemate, that have gotten raped and robbed lately. she told me that campus and city officials announced during a small assembly that they have caught some random perps, and they turned out to be new orleans evacuees. they basically implied that a lot of the other university center crimes could be traced back to evacuees, and that by mixing atlanta's already "not-so-uncrime-ridden" population with the amount of new orleans evacuees(which be honest, most of them probably arent saint peter) contributed to the jump in violent crimes in the area lately. Im going to visit them next weekend for Morehouse's home coming. PRAY 4 ME!! :cry:

Yea...robberies/petty theft crimes are the norm here @ the Atl Univ Center (I'm a student @ Morehouse from Charlotte). We, as students, shouldn't have to put up w/the constant nuisances & life-threatening situations we encounter on a daily basis.

At least you go to a fully accredited college unlike Morris Brown. What do you think the future is for Morris Brown?

But GSU could certainly be an option, I went there. Not the best college, but it does have a large & varied program.

I'm sorry to deviate from the topic, but I must ask you this: I was considering going to GA State for my master's. Why did you say that it isn't the best college?

I'm sorry to deviate from the topic, but I must ask you this: I was considering going to GA State for my master's. Why did you say that it isn't the best college?

Of course it does depend on what program you are interested - like any college. There are actually programs at GSU that are among the best in the nation, but otherwise GSU would be considered a lower end of tier one schools. 10 to 15 years ago GSU was strictly a commuter college but only recently has it emerged into receiving a greater level of respect. STill - in GA, GA Tech or UGA are still the preffered state colleges. So it is a very general statement I made.

I got my BA in Geography there & I would probably go back to GSU, so consider that a recomendation. But don't be surprised if most outside of Georgia have never heard of GSU.

Of course it does depend on what program you are interested - like any college. There are actually programs at GSU that are among the best in the nation, but otherwise GSU would be considered a lower end of tier one schools. 10 to 15 years ago GSU was strictly a commuter college but only recently has it emerged into receiving a greater level of respect. STill - in GA, GA Tech or UGA are still the preffered state colleges. So it is a very general statement I made.

I got my BA in Geography there & I would probably go back to GSU, so consider that a recomendation. But don't be surprised if most outside of Georgia have never heard of GSU.

Wasn't GSU once an "evening school" for Georgia Tech?

^ Right you are, I think it started in the 1940's as an evening school then as it grew it joined the University System & dissolved it's affiliation with Georgia Tech. From what I remember reading, it held a different name as they played with the idea of it being "University of Georgia - Atlanta" before it became GSU.

At least you go to a fully accredited college unlike Morris Brown. What do you think the future is for Morris Brown?

But GSU could certainly be an option, I went there. Not the best college, but it does have a large & varied program.

From what I've been hearing, the future is looking progressively brighter for Morris Brown. This is only HEAR SAY.....they're suppose to be fully-accredited/functional by 2007? 2008? A relatively large group of New Orleans college students are in attendance @ Morris Brown as we speak.

Its a difference in being pretentious or not. The state road signs also refer to it as downtown.

Ouch. Calling my grandmother pretentious? For goodness sakes, she lived on Pecan Ave for 65 years! Hardly a pretentious address or neighborhood (and for about 20 years, a dangerous place to live). I was scared to go there as a child!

BTW, she has since moved in with my aunt and now calls uptown Shelby home.

• 6 months later...

I've heard several complaints that Charlotte is too conservative and still suffers from Bible Belt syndrome -more so than Atlanta. Is this true?

I hear a lot of that too and I guess compared to Atlanta or Miami it is conservative (but that can be said for a lot of cities in the U.S.). But I've always found Charlotte to be a very progressive city. But it's the same thing with Greenville. There are people convinced Greenville is run by fundamentalists simply because of Bob Jones University.

Archived