Atlanta VS Charlotte

Skyybutter

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Richard Florida definitely has some unusual theories (especially related to gays in the community and their relation to creativity).  But to debunk his ideas down to gays, metrosexuals, and drag queens really misses how many people he includes in the "creative class". 

From the cover at Amazon.com..."Members include scientists, engineers, architects, educators, writers, artists, and entertainers. He defines this class as those whose economic function is to create new ideas, new technology, and new creative content. In general this group shares common characteristics, such as creativity, individuality, diversity, and merit. The author estimates that this group has 38 million members, constitutes more than 30 percent of the U.S. workforce, and profoundly influences work and lifestyle issues."

This includes those hard working middle to upper middle class families monsoon mentioned (like mine) who would be part of the 38 million - 1/3rd of the U.S. work force. 

I really don't think it would hurt Charlotte a bit to draw in more of the workforce from those areas.  And, yes, monsoon, like it or not Charlotte is extremely dependent on the financial services industry.  New York is #1 in financial assets managed (20 mil pop metro), Charlotte is #2 (2 mil pop metro)...so Charlotte definitly has a high density of jobs in financial services compared to other areas of the country.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Its interesting the only statement we have in support of Florida's theories is a description from Amazon which of course is looking to make money selling his books.

Florida never offered any proof, data or studies that his theories were valid and were predictors of a city's economic vitality. However as it turns out, the cities at the top of his list are some of the worst performers in terms of job creation. I recommend you go and have a look at this before blindly accepting what Florida has to say. He wrote that book when the Internet tech boom was going on and had plenty of fodder in those that thought you could make millions by not doing anything except to think great thoughts. They forgot the minor detail that a business needs to make a profit to survive.

The size of the assets managed by Charlotte's Banks are irrelevant. The fact remains that banking is responsible for less than 10% of the employment in Charlotte. There are as many people working in manufacturing and wholesale distribution (CLT is 6th in the nation just behind Chicago) as in banking. You have incorrectly interpreted my earlier statements to some mean that banking is not important to CLT which is not what I said.

Charlotte Metro Size is explained in this thread. The numbers are specific to CLT, but every other area of the country is covered by the same explanation.

Emporus, SSP, SSC and Mickey Mouse should not considered authorities on anything having to do with numbers and urban subjects, especially considering the sources they rely upon.

(though my money would go on Mickey Mouse).

Here is another Link that outlines the Charlotte Region and details its boundries, as well as economic impact.

http://www.charlotteusa.com/index.asp

A2

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But in terms of 'metro' - that is not an official designation. It's got to have that 'MSA' or 'CSA' to be recognized. In addition to that site, whatever Charlotte's metro planning organization is - that would be another different view of the metro.

Anyways, regarding metro population - I think some of you all are thinking too hard about this.

Anyways, regarding metro population - I think some of you all are thinking too hard about this.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I could not agree more.

It amazes me how people complain about Atlanta's CSA being 28 counties or it's MSA being 20 counties or however many it is. It's not like Atlanta or Atlantans said "hey, why don't we make our CSA 28 counties?" Many of the counties in the CSA extremely small geographically....Dawson, Rockdale, Douglas, and Clayton readily come to mind.

Is the MSA/CSA designation not a creation of some federal agency that has nothing to do with the city of Atlanta or not?

In the grand scheme of things numbers are nice to look at but I would much rather every city focus on being the best for their citizens and not the biggest. Bigger does not always equal better.

It is based on commuting patterns. Charlotte's MSA does not include Iredell, Lancaster, and Catawba because most people living in those counties do not travel to Charlotte for work. They have their own employment centers.

The US Census determines CSA and MSA size and is pretty unbiased as to how it does things as compared to the Chamber of commerce and other links listed above.

I could not agree more.

It amazes me how people complain about Atlanta's CSA being 28 counties or it's MSA being 20 counties or however many it is. It's not like Atlanta or Atlantans said "hey, why don't we make our CSA 28 counties?" Many of the counties in the CSA extremely small geographically....Dawson, Rockdale, Douglas, and Clayton readily come to mind.

Is the MSA/CSA designation not a creation of some federal agency that has nothing to do with the city of Atlanta or not?

In the grand scheme of things numbers are nice to look at but I would much rather every city focus on being the best for their citizens and not the biggest. Bigger does not always equal better.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I will agree with this LC. I still love Hotlanta (at least all of it, but the traffic). I am just trying to defend CLT a bit. There is no question that even if you cut the size of ATL in Half it would be bigger than CLT, I just have to give CLT a fair shot in the numbers race,when it comes to skewed numbers that people ofter reference. Anyway you slice it, people can use various numbers and various references to get their point accross, just as I do. :P

A2

• 4 weeks later...

I think Atlanta has a livelier night life than Charlotte does. It's really more fun to be down here in ATL because your in the middle of it all. What I hate about Charlotte is that its downtown has limited boundaries. I'm starting to see that go away but for the most part it's still the same. In ATL the urban core stretches from Turner Field to the northern edge of Buckhead. Charlotte's is from I-277 to I-277.

Oh and also I'm still here in ATL. Anyway, what makes Atlanta more livelier is that while I'm here at the Renaissance in DT I can go accross to an "urban" Borders or Starbucks at 1:00 AM and sit down for about 30 minutes and read. Atlanta is alive all day long but in Charlotte it has a time frame, like from 6:00 AM to 10:00 PM. It's like everything shuts down. In ATL their night is just beginning at 11:00 PM! Last night I was looking out from my hotel room at 11:45 and I-75/I-85 was still busy!

In years I think Charlotte will be up to par in nightlife with Atlanta. It just takes some support for it. And, a good start for it will be the new Epicentre, that place will be hopping all night!

One thing I really love about Atlanta is that it has so many urban major retailers. Like Borders on 2 storys, Target Office Depot Circuit City on 3 floors, and others as well! A good start for Charlotte will be the new EXPO design center and Target, that will jumpstart things alot!

That's my story, and i'm sticking to it! :lol:

You're so right, the urban core of Atlanta is very lively now, but it used to not be like that. I remember going to downtown about 7 or 8 years ago and after 7:00, no one was walking around. Atlanta has made great strides in its urnab core and I think Charlotte can too. Charlotte just doesn't seem to have the "cool factor" that Atlanta does. Atlanta has the clubs and all the rappers and the "flava", but I don't see that in Charlotte yet. But like I said, as Charlotte gets bigger, it'll start developing its own exciting personality that'll make its nightlife a lot better.

I agree with you there Newnan, Atlanta is a Very progressive city, not only for the SE but for the entire USA. Charlotte isnt nearly on the same level Atlanta was when it had only 1.5 million in its metro....in that respect. They seem like TOTAL opposites to me. Both have similar physical appearances but from the inside they are different.

I agree with you there Newnan, Atlanta is a Very progressive city, not only for the SE but for the entire USA. Charlotte isnt nearly on the same level Atlanta was when it had only 1.5 million in its metro....in that respect. They seem like TOTAL opposites to me. Both have similar physical appearances but from the inside they are different.

Of course, Charlotte has a benefit in the fact that it's really starting to grow in an era where developers are realizing the mistakes of te unurban developments and car-oriented sprawl of the 70's, 80's, and 90's while Atlanta started to boom during that era of unurban developments.

The Epic Centre will be a nice addition to Charlotte uptown life. It may not be downdown Atlanta, but it is a good start.

Forgive my ignorance, but uptown CLT=Downtown ATL, I take it?

By that, I mean they serve the same roles as the other in the city (generally the oldest, densest and/or mpst important in terms of business)?

Charlotte just doesn't seem to have the "cool factor" that Atlanta does. Atlanta has the clubs and all the rappers and the "flava", but I don't see that in Charlotte yet.

ITA. Charlotte isn't bad. Just different. Charlotte will never be a "hot spot" because that's not who and what this city is. But that doesn't mean Charlotte won't have a great nightlife one day. Like Chicago. It's a great city with only a decent night scene. But that's okay.

ITA. Charlotte isn't bad. Just different. Charlotte will never be a "hot spot" because that's not who and what this city is. But that doesn't mean Charlotte won't have a great nightlife one day. Like Chicago. It's a great city with only a decent night scene. But that's okay.

Never is a very long time. I dont think Charlotte is trying to be like any other city. If anything, Charlotte wants to learn from and avoid mistakes that other cities have made. I think Charlotte will mature into a very unique city over the next 10 years. We have laid the groundwork for great things to take place.

Archived