Atlanta VS Charlotte

Skyybutter

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not too fluent with the US Census site (wish I was, but I have always found it difficult to use), but I foundmy way to the listing of the counties....28 counties in the ATL metro by their definition, no surprise there. I'll see what I can do about adding the estimates together, but that could take a while.

Thanks for the links, Spartan!

This doesn't really prove anything - beyond me being bored at work - but here are maps of Charlotte area cities overlaid to scale with Atlanta.

ATL_CLT.jpg

ATL_CLT_city.jpg

I admit - these maps aren't that clear (especially being jpg's) but if you strain your eyes enough you should see something that looks familiar.

Is the implication on this map that everything to the right of the red part denoting the city of Atlanta, is unincorporated? Or did you just leave off that part from the red coloration for other reasons? Maybe you were really bored and just left off that part. haha

haha - ;)

Ok - since I did neglect to explain anything, red shaded areas are Atlanta area municipalities over 10k, hashed areas are Charlotte area cities. The ring indicates 10 miles. Dark red lines are major highways / freeways around Atlanta & dark grey lines are likewise for Charlotte.

Oh! But regarding the area to the east - that is Dekalb County, which does not have any cities over 10k except for Decatur & is mostly unincorporated. To the north of Atlanta, you may have noticed I included Sandy Springs...

Well, Atlanta is quite an impressive city. I'm a Charlotte native & I attend college in Atlanta. Growing up, Atlanta was always portrayed to me as a much bigger city with freeways flying high-up in the sky from this way & that way. But, as I got older....I started to see Atlanta as I saw Charlotte. It wasn't until February 2004 when I went down to Atlanta to visit the campus I was to attend, did I realize how impressive the city really is. I was amazed driving on I-85 thru downtown and seeing the Buckhead skyline to the immediate right...it was a stunning sight. I felt like I was in Los Angeles.

Then....after spending this past year in Atlanta...here's my take.....

I still love the city and think its rather impressive. However, it is a bit overrated and has it flaws....but what city doesn't? I enjoy riding the MARTA & having the option of going to an entirely DIFFERENT place (i.e. Buckhead, Alpharetta, Decatur) to get away from campus...but yet, still be in Atlanta.

For my native home of Charlotte.....I love it! Its my home. I admire the fact that its a very progressive city and development here is out of control. I feel as though Charlotte can do more to with becoming a more ENTERTAINMENT STYLE city. It kinda sucks that I'll be in my 30s-40s when Charlotte grows into a more developed phase. One thing I don't like about Charlotte is that the whole city feels THE SAME. Although we have our UPTOWN, SOUTHPARK, UNIVERSITY AREA, etc.....it all feels the same. Its just something we need to work on more. We also need MORE shopping destinations! For a city our size, its pitiful to have to alternate between 4-5 malls....and only frequent 2 b/c of distance & demographics.

For my native home of Charlotte.....I love it! Its my home. I admire the fact that its a very progressive city and development here is out of control. I feel as though Charlotte can do more to with becoming a more ENTERTAINMENT STYLE city. It kinda sucks that I'll be in my 30s-40s when Charlotte grows into a more developed phase. One thing I don't like about Charlotte is that the whole city feels THE SAME. Although we have our UPTOWN, SOUTHPARK, UNIVERSITY AREA, etc.....it all feels the same. Its just something we need to work on more. We also need MORE shopping destinations! For a city our size, its pitiful to have to alternate between 4-5 malls....and only frequent 2 b/c of distance & demographics.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I have found this to be a failing of many Charlotteans. They rarely bother to see what lays just beyond the city limits. Or even in their own city as anything North of the Brookshire freeway or Independence Blvd is rarely experienced by this lot. I recommend a trip to the Asian Mall, Central Ave, West Blvd, etc. And one only has to go to the Lake Norman area to experience a completely different feel than what is found in Southeast Charlotte (what most people identify as Charlotte). Gastonia, Concord, Rock Hill, etc all offer unique experiences as well. And if you include the amount of territory that is encompased by the Atlanta metro, the list grows again. You don't know how many people I know that see Charlotte as just downtown and areas 4, 5 & 6 and yes, that is the same dull wasteland that you would find in many cities. I assume you might fall into this lot given that you only ship at SouthPark and Carolina Place based on your description.

Also I consider the fact the city isn't littered with a bunch of malls a good thing. It's interesting that you complain about "sameness" then advocate for building more malls. Malls are the poster child for "sameness".

Well, I have found this to be a failing of many Charlotteans.  They rarely bother to see what lays just beyond the city limits.  Or even in their own city as anything North of the Brookshire freeway or Independence Blvd is rarely experienced  by this lot.  I recommend a trip to the Asian Mall, Central Ave, West Blvd, etc.  And one only has to go to the Lake Norman area to experience a completely different feel than what is found in Southeast Charlotte (what most people identify as Charlotte). Gastonia, Concord, Rock Hill, etc all offer unique experiences as well.  And if you include the amount of territory that is encompased by the Atlanta metro, the list grows again.  You don't know how many people I know that see Charlotte as just downtown and areas 4, 5 & 6 and yes, that is the same dull wasteland that you would find in many cities.  I assume you might fall into this lot given that you only ship at SouthPark and Carolina Place based on your description. 

Also I consider the fact the city isn't littered with a bunch of malls a good thing.  It's interesting that you complain about "sameness" then advocate for building more malls.  Malls are the poster child for "sameness".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Then that would be the problem with most urban dwellers, the majority are typically neighborhood oriented rather than regional. Though in the sunbelt there is a greater regional knowledge of the metro, due to our cities being more car-accessible, but in a more urban environment where the populace is more dependant to transit - they are generally highly oriented towards their immediate surroundings & less to 'the outside world' which would be the suburbs. In my case, having lived in Atlanta for 1990 & first having lived in the suburbs & worked in the suburbs - in addition to being a geographer - I might have greater insight, but otherwise, my world is primarily oriented to at least 'inside the perimeter' as well as what is generally considered 'intown', which is central Atlanta & Decatur. So - I consider Buckhead outside of my realm.

Now this may be viewed as highly isolationist, but it does also promote a greater understanding & concern for your 'neighborhood'. Which is why most northeastern & midwester urbanites do possess a - somewhat intolerant viewpoint of any other place. On the other hand, it's also easier to get sick of your own world, explaining the high populations of yankee exiles living in the southeast.

monsoon....I hope I'm not out of line.....I'm sure Teshadoh can speak for himself but from what I gleaned reading his response was in concurrence with what you were saying. I could be wrong but that's what I gathered.

Teshadoh can say if I'm right or wrong. He's a smart man I'm sure.

Ok, I've just never heard anyone use demographics as reasons why they like to shop at Eastland and Concord Mills and then complain about sameness.  The demographics of those two places are about as opposite as they get.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Again, you've misinterpreted what I said. I never said that demographics affect MY decisions to shop @ Eastland & Concord Mills. Also, my ideal of "sameness" is much broader. Contrary to your misinterpretation, I like to explore my city & any other city I visit. When I'm in Atlanta, I feel like the many different parts of the region are very distinctive in their own character & thus...give the Atlanta Region & more varied feeling.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived