Icon on Bond

torgo

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Grand Rapids Business Journal is "reporting" that the Northwest tower of Icon will go up next year, and will be "nearly identical". The second tower is going to be specifically apartments.

http://www.grbj.com/GRBJ/Nav/Login.htm?Art...C-FE9C0D1FCB05}

Classic: They are also saying that at the "groundbreaking", while the dignitaries were doing their ceremonial first shovel, a heckler from the crowd yelled "keep digging!". andy or allbusiness, so you were there :D

Wasn't me! It would have been funnier if someone had yelled out something pertaining to alligators :D

Isnt the view to the west going to be directly into windows from the Cambridge house building (forget the name)? I've heard that there are some pretty nice penthouses with outdoor hot tubs on the top of that building too, which now aren't going to have much privacy.

If I recall correctly it wasn't a problem with seeing something but more what they would be seeing. They live downtown so they have to expect some development to happen. The previous design had a parking structure as tall as the Monroe Terrace building. That would not have been nice to look at. This design is not parking but it would still mean looking into someone's home twenty feet from your window. I like what the new Alticor Hotel did near the Forsland building. The hotel footprint is football shaped so it only comes close to the Forsland building at one point and most of the exixting views are retained.

I read that also, which would put him right back in the same fight he had with Monroe Terrace before. Although when this original issue happened Logie suggested they flip the building, which would alleviate any of the setback problems from before.

I still can't believe the first building is going up. I'll hold my breath for the second building, and REALLY hold it for 21 stories.. ;)

Joe

How does the planning staff get their jobs and who do they report too? It's amazing that if one staff member thinks the project meets the ordinance that there is no other review. If the Planning Commission doesn't see things the same way as the staff member why does the staff member's opinion trump the PC? Shouldn't it be the other way around?

How does the planning staff get their jobs and who do they report too? It's amazing that if one staff member thinks the project meets the ordinance that there is no other review. If the Planning Commission doesn't see things the same way as the staff member why does the staff member's opinion trump the PC? Shouldn't it be the other way around?

Remember that the location of this project might be different from more prominent downtown locations, so the transparency codes may be much looser or nearly non-existant. I don't know the details though. But I wouldn't hang the GR planning staff out to dry (at least not yet). This might be the kick the city needs to change the transparency codes all across the city...but it's too bad if it takes something like this to make it happen :(

Surely, Moch doesn't think his 9-story design is a 'rolls royce', does he? If he's contemplating going to 21 stories on the second one, does that mean he will build the orginal design? That would be a 'rolls royce', at least when compared to the south tower :D

Yep, they're burying all the electrical lines, cable and other overhead lines that run down the alley. Our ventilation system was sucking in the exhaust fumes from that front end loader all day yesterday. :sick: Whee.....

We're starting to feel like little kids watching the "big twucks" dig holes!

Yep, they're burying all the electrical lines, cable and other overhead lines that run down the alley. Our ventilation system was sucking in the exhaust fumes from that front end loader all day yesterday. :sick: Whee.....

We're starting to feel like little kids watching the "big twucks" dig holes!

To those of you who work in the Gemini building...save your work often! The guy digging up the street comes awfully dang close to those power lines! :blink: But he probably knows what he's doing. :D

To those of you who work in the Gemini building...save your work often! The guy digging up the street comes awfully dang close to those power lines! :blink: But he probably knows what he's doing. :D

<chants>Pictures, Pictures, Pictures......

somone take some updated pics..

Archived