Icon on Bond

torgo

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to Business Review Western Michigan Icon on Bond (which has 118 units per tower) has sold 42 units.

Has anyone heard anything relating to the rumor that the VAI bought the top floor of Tower 1? I think I asked about it before but am too lazy to re-read all the posts. :P

Has anyone heard anything relating to the rumor that the VAI bought the top floor of Tower 1? I think I asked about it before but am too lazy to re-read all the posts. :P

One of the business publications had reported that VAI bought a whole floor in the first tower. Not sure if it is the top floor or not.

Wow. If VAI bought an entire floor (15 units) that makes up more than a third of Moch's 42 sales to date. It sure seems line there isn't much interest in the project if you ask me.

No it doesn't, especially compared to other projects such as Riverhouse and Union Square. Can't imagine why :whistling:

• 2 weeks later...

A quick construction update before my battery dies on the computer. These are from today (11/28). Kinda rainy and dark, sorry the pics arent the best :blush:

icon1.jpg

icon3.jpg

icon4.jpg

Looks like they are digging up Trowbridge from the gemini bldg toward Bond Street. And the lake is back in the site from the rain/snow. ;) Gotta keep those 'gators comfy! :D

Seems like they are just digging holes and moving sand there. I have seen more progress on the Spectrum/Christman development - and they are truely only moving sand...

So far the dug along the alley behind the gemini bldg on ottawa from Hastings to trowbridge. I think they are still burying utilities at this point.

Odd, but today Consumers Power brought in a few new power poles, which flies in the face of the work they've done to put everything underground. I didn't see where they put it, but perhaps they're just replacing the poles on either end of the trench, where the utilities emerge.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got a bunch of "news" from the Icon sales people. Here is an excerpt:

Momentum! The Icon on Bond team has it. What an autumn we have had. With construction started every day we get closer to the first move-in. The corner of Bond and Trowbridge has been a hub of activity with numerous crews working to underground all of the utilities. The Smartzone Authority and the Michigan Economic Development Corporation approved over $3.3 million in funding for Icon on Bond. The groundbreaking ceremony saw many familiar faces all of whom have lent a hand in making Icon on Bond a success. Guests of honor included Mayor George Heartwell, Representative Michael Sak, City Commissioners Roy Schmidt, James Jendraisiak, Rosalynn Bliss, and Reverend Dean, as well as Sandy Ring (COO, Michigan Economic Development Corporation). Governor Granholm sent her regards as well.

Over the course of the next month, all the utility lines will be placed underground, site preparation and foundation work will start, and the momentum we have started will push through to the New Year.

Just got a bunch of "news" from the Icon sales people. Here is an excerpt:

Momentum! The Icon on Bond team has it. What an autumn we have had. With construction started every day we get closer to the first move-in. The corner of Bond and Trowbridge has been a hub of activity with numerous crews working to underground all of the utilities. The Smartzone Authority and the Michigan Economic Development Corporation approved over $3.3 million in funding for Icon on Bond. The groundbreaking ceremony saw many familiar faces all of whom have lent a hand in making Icon on Bond a success. Guests of honor included Mayor George Heartwell, Representative Michael Sak, City Commissioners Roy Schmidt, James Jendraisiak, Rosalynn Bliss, and Reverend Dean, as well as Sandy Ring (COO, Michigan Economic Development Corporation). Governor Granholm sent her regards as well.

Over the course of the next month, all the utility lines will be placed underground, site preparation and foundation work will start, and the momentum we have started will push through to the New Year.

What does everyone suppose the logic is for taking soil off the south lot and putting it on the north lot? According to current plans, this dirt will have to be removed at a later date to make room for the north tower. Does it make sense to move the dirt twice? It seems like a whole lot of sideways momentum at this point.

What does everyone suppose the logic is for taking soil off the south lot and putting it on the north lot? According to current plans, this dirt will have to be removed at a later date to make room for the north tower. Does it make sense to move the dirt twice? It seems like a whole lot of sideways momentum at this point.

Moving Dirt? :w00t: Don't tell Tingley!

Seems like that is all they are doing. Is it just me or is this the slowest construction project ever...

I work ten feet from the new power pole where the lines go underground, so I have a very close-up view of the project. The electrical contractor has been working very hard over the past two weeks. I've been impressed with the progress. Those guys work very hard! The Consumers Power Company guys are also hustling -- although it takes seven guys to watch two do the work (probably OSHA requirements). Plus they can smoke cigars while working. What a job!

If you don't see it every day, it looks like nothing is happening. Everything so far has been underground.

The tore up Trowbridge and the entire alley behind our building and put a vault underground to handle all the connections (with a manhole, of course). Then they installed new power poles at the places where the lines will go underground. They have not yet tied in the major lines to the underground wires, but they are bundled together, ready to be spliced.

On the actual site, all I've seen is a bunch of dirt removed in the past 24 hours.

I work ten feet from the new power pole where the lines go underground, so I have a very close-up view of the project. The electrical contractor has been working very hard over the past two weeks. I've been impressed with the progress. Those guys work very hard! The Consumers Power Company guys are also hustling -- although it takes seven guys to watch two do the work (probably OSHA requirements). Plus they can smoke cigars while working. What a job!

If you don't see it every day, it looks like nothing is happening. Everything so far has been underground.

The tore up Trowbridge and the entire alley behind our building and put a vault underground to handle all the connections (with a manhole, of course). Then they installed new power poles at the places where the lines will go underground. They have not yet tied in the major lines to the underground wires, but they are bundled together, ready to be spliced.

On the actual site, all I've seen is a bunch of dirt removed in the past 24 hours.

Yah, they have been getting a lot done, believe it or not. The utility work is boring though, and nothing noticable ever changes on the actual building site. It has been quiet, at least from a lack of noise and jack-hammering standpoint, lately. Hopefully the foundation will get moving in the next month or two. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Andy must be on vacation, or he'd have posted this already. :) The "Icon On Bond" contractors are pounding steel sheet piling on the south end of the project. I assume this is for pouring the concrete foundation.

A week or so ago, they pulled out the construction trailer and replaced it with a much larger unit.

Also, they're trying to keep one lane of Trowbridge open to traffic, for which we are very thankful.

That's all for now. :thumbsup:

Andy must be on vacation, or he'd have posted this already. :) The "Icon On Bond" contractors are pounding steel sheet piling on the south end of the project. I assume this is for pouring the concrete foundation.

A week or so ago, they pulled out the construction trailer and replaced it with a much larger unit.

Also, they're trying to keep one lane of Trowbridge open to traffic, for which we are very thankful.

That's all for now. :thumbsup:

Oh, um, whoops. :blush: I haven't been paying much attention to the site lately, probably because my building hasn't been shaking as much. I'll take some pictures and post them tomorrow if I can :thumbsup:

Thanks for the update allbusiness! ;)

Archived