Pyramids Village

mediamongrel

A lot of people here seem to have a disrespect for the carousel. I would rather ride on a carousel than skate on the rink. The carousel was a great one and it spawned some great resturants at the food court. I deeply respect everyone's opinion, but like I've said before, I've never been to ccm when it had the ice rink.

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lot of people here seem to have a disrespect for the carousel. I would rather ride on a carousel than skate on the rink. The carousel was a great one and it spawned some great resturants at the food court. I deeply respect everyone's opinion, but like I've said before, I've never been to ccm when it had the ice rink.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think anyone here hates the carousel or disrespects it. But you have to admit that having the only ice rink in town would be more impressive tha having the only carousel.

I think for me, CCM with the ice rink was comfortable...it was homey-I knew it well and can picture it fondly in my mind. Ice skating always had seemed like that thing that only northerners could do-and here practically in my back yard there was an ice rink that I could visit (which was like a slice of heaven for this snowlover) There was just something about that particular part of the mall, between the ice rink, Tuesdays/Annibelles overlooking the ice rink, Hardees with the great murals, among many things that gave the mall a very unique feel and look. The rest of the mall too at that time just was comfortable. Afterwards the renovations, it was never the same...it was more generic and lost a lot of it's great appeal. This isnt disrespect for the carousel, but just a preference to how CCM was in the beginning to what it was after the renovations.

I deeply respect your feelings. I've just only been to ccm in the rockin' 90's and I've only seen the pre-renovation ccm through pictures. So, I think you might find this interesting. No ice rink picture though. The Birth of Carolina Circle Mall

PS: I was wondering if anyone can answer my question. There's a sign in my carousel picture and I'm trying to figure out what it says. The picture only shows the back of it. Does anyone remember what it said? I cricled the sign.

post-4608-1124843009_thumb.jpg

post-4608-1124843009_thumb.jpg

I was just talking to someone about the pre-renovation ccm and I learned the layout of the ice rink area. The ice rink was situated a little further up past the carousel. There was a railing around the rink. There was actually a food court. Actually a mini food court. There were tables and chairs near the ice rink. The Chick Filet might have been there, a few more resturants, and Annabell's. The rest of the mall I believe (I only have a few pictures of early ccm to study), had a brownish floor, plain white walls, lights on columns I can't describe, an darker lighting. Belk's had more of a yelowish bronze color on the mall signs. Montgomery Ward had an orange background on the mall entrance. The outside of the mall was not too different from the post-renovation ccm except in the beginning Montgomery Ward had orange tiles around the side of the mall and the main mall entrances didn't have those arches. I have been very curious about the pre-renovation ccm and what I have told you has only been from other people and pictures. If I had my vote, I would say that the post-renovation ccm was better. To me, it says cool all over it and to me is my Roadgeek Mall. I will continue to study the mall before I started going. Like Dillard's was Ivey's. I still want to know if ccm had an emblem before the renovation and if the mall endured a more drastic change in the late 80's. I wish I was able to see the first ccm. Although me on the ice rink would have been a danger to the mall's safety. :silly:

There was actually a food court. Actually a mini food court. There were tables and chairs near the ice rink. The Chick Filet might have been there, a few more resturants, and Annabell's.
It wasnt a food court as we know it today. Tuesdays is what became Annibelles later and is the restaurant we have mentioned that overlooked the rink. Chick Fil A was the last restaurant in the small row there. The arcade was at the end near the entrance to the skate rink (and the skate rink store). There was an orange julius in there and some other small place that sold food items. Hardees was actually beside of Eckards across the way...and Piccadilly was totally away from this area in another part of the lower level. There was of course a steak restuarant across from the disco on the lower level outside of Mont. Wards. There were some small (very small) tables by the rink, but mostly used by parents watching their kids skate. By the definition of "food court" that we know today, CCM really didnt have one until the rink was taken out. :cry:

Color Scheme wise...that did change after the renovations....a LOT. They also hung these big ole pink and blue butterflies from the ceiling :rolleyes:

I am currently on a ccm roll tonight! I am finding many pictures. I did a Google image search and didn't find much but my carousel picture and Steven's Main Entrance picture. But I went to WebShots.com and I found the motherload. Go there and prepare for a feast. They have some more pictures of the inside of the mall as of 2005. Sad but interesting. This is only a sample of what you will be seing: post-4608-1125111906_thumb.jpg I forgot that they had "Carolina Circle Mall" written along the walls.

The Site to Make you Go To Sleep Happy Tonight

post-4608-1125111906_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

As of right now, you can look at ccm from US 29 and see things that you couldn't see before. Like I said before, it will take awhile for our eyes to adjust to not seeing a mall there because we've been seeing it for so long. It might not take me too long because I ride pass ccm twice everyday.

What I have planned for once the mall is completely gone is a memorial service at my Carolina Circle City blog. I don't know what it will be, but people can comment on it and post their memories and final farewells to the mall. If I can get some ideas, I can make this the best ccm memorial ever on the Internet. But this won't be until the mall is completely torn down.

What I have planned for once the mall is completely gone is a memorial service at my Carolina Circle City blog. I don't know what it will be, but people can comment on it and post their memories and final farewells to the mall. If I can get some ideas, I can make this the best ccm memorial ever on the Internet. But this won't be until the mall is completely torn down.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That would be cool.

I think I've already said good bye. I honestly didnt expect it to still be there Friday evening. Seeing the dirt was good....like how a freshly tilled garden looks right before you plant in the spring. You pull up all the dead overgrown weeds from yesteryear, , you enrich the soil and plant something new. What is coming with Walmart is that something new that will grow in that dirt laying there. I am excited for what is coming and am moving on. Memories are safely packed away...

Archived