Pyramids Village

mediamongrel

You missed it's golden days....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nether the less, I have witnessed some important ccm events. I've been on the carousel, shopped at Montgomery Ward all the time, saw a lot of movies there, and bought audio tapes at Camelot. Hey, I didn't listen to CD's back then. I had a great time there at the ccm.

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember Monks but never ate there.  It came much later in the game.  I also remember the disco being there down on the Wards side as well as some sort of steak/upscale type eating place right across from the disco. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thay had a disco at Carolina Circle? :rofl:

Seriously, that's cool. I just didn't know it before.

Yeah that's why I'm working on the first ever ccm fansite. Everything ccm.

Also, I'm working on a line of ccm souvenirs. Including a t-shirt that says "My friend went to Carolina Circle Mall and all I got was this stupid t-shirt". And of course, the ccm in a book.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Let me know when you get the T-Shirts, I'll purchase one.

Yeah...I remember it because my older sister was six years older than I was and was into the disco scene there for a bit...and I was facinated by it being in the mall.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is facinating. No wonder i always associate that mall with disco music :)

If someone tells me thay had a roller derby and CB radio store at Carolina Circle, I'll be able to officially pronunce it "The Most '70s Mall Ever"

It is facinating.  No wonder i always associate that mall with disco music :)

If someone tells me thay had a roller derby and CB radio store at Carolina Circle, I'll be able to officially pronunce it "The Most '70s Mall Ever"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No roller derby...but they did have a Radio Shack if that counts towards selling CB Radios B)

::sings:: Disco Disco Duck...I want to be a Disco Duck...

I have this game called Mall Tycoon where you can build your own mall. A few years ago, I made ccm. Sometime today I might do it again. It isn't going to include the main second floor entrance or the arches, but I can easily put in Montgomery Ward, Dillard's, and Belk. It has a carousel feature, but that's the same carousel you see at K-mart. I'm going to need a list of stores.

Let's face it. Carolina Circle Mall is just too unique to be technilogicaly recreated in a computer game.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There must be other places in Greensboro that have a similar 70's feel like Carolina Circle. How about the downtown campus of GTCC? Maybe the old

area around Randleman Rd?

A lot of the stores that use ccm decor have suffered the same fate as ccm. Like that K-mart near ccm. It had either a 70's or 80's decor. The service there was terrible but the memories are excellent just like ccm. I have a lot of memories in that 29/Cone area. That's why I try my best to eat inside McDonald's. One thing is that the Funeral Home was once a resturant called Knuckle's or something. Used to go there a lot. Does anyone have any history on that area. I used to go to ccm the most because it was closer to my house than Four Seasons.

One thing is that the Funeral Home was once a resturant called Knuckle's or something. Used to go there a lot. Does anyone have any history on that area.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I remember Knuckles. It was owned by someone that had some connection to the church I grew up attending over there. I do not know a lot of the history of it though...I only ate there once. We just didnt eat out a lot growing up...I want to say that when the guy died that owned it, that it closed as well not too long thereafter. There used to be a way onto the highway right there until a few years ago when they closed it off for safety reasons. Where Grandpa's is across the hwy, used to be an "old type" convinence store where we were allowed to walk to trade in empty bottles for money to buy candy and gum. It burned down when I was in 3rd grade.

To me, KMart hasnt changed in it's decor very much. What I do remember though is that when they came to town (Market St store) ...Kings and Cooks went out of business. Sometime after that and after CCM was built the one on Cone and Holden were built. I have stomped all over that side of town at one point or another. My schools and my home and my church were all within a 5-10 minute drive of one another.

Stores always have that certain smell and sound. I've been to a lot of stores that still look, smell, and sound a lot like the 80's. K-mart near ccm had that popcorn smell, Montgomery Ward had that special smell that has survived demolition, and the Toys R' Us had that rubber smell. That area used to have everything. Now it's just fast food joints and nightclubs.

There must be other places in Greensboro that have a similar 70's feel like Carolina Circle.  How about the downtown campus of GTCC?  Maybe the old

area around Randleman Rd?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Sears at Friendly Center is pretty '70s in that Carolina Circle kind of way. The additions to the Guilford County Government Complex downtown remind me of that era too.

Stores always have that certain smell and sound.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. Each store chain has a smell. Target's is really distinctive these days, and so is Kmart. Sears still smells the way it always has and JCPenney does too. The other department stores kind of all smell the same.

We were speculationg on the Winn-Dixie smell on another thread.

Yep, ccm is now 29 years and one day old. So yesterday I listened to a stereo bought at Montgomery Ward, used a refridgerator from Montgomery Ward, and looked at my ccm pictures. I did notice in the pictures I took monday that there was a Christmas wrief in the rubble. Was that part of the mall's x-mas decor? Along with that, I found a piece of shag carpet from Montgomery Ward. The main entrance section of the mall is kinda still there. You can still see the ceiling tiles.

PS Again: ccm songs in my opinion would be Born to be Alive. However, whenever I would go past ccm at night with the main arch lit up in red (see steven's pic), Phil Collins would always be on the radio for some mysterious reason.

PS: I will be gone Sunday til Thursday because I will be quenching my roadgeek gene. I'll be on vacation at North Myrtle Beach. :D

Archived