Tallahassee Regional Airport

Florida

Yea, Delta occasionally flies in 737s at times of higher passenger demand but usually only MD-88s. Who knows with Delta stopping inter florida routes and the merger with North West could make enough passengers to fly 737s and 757s into Tallahassee instead of the crjs and MD-88s.

I'd still rather have more city choices on smaller jets, even crj's, than very limited city choices on larger jets. But of course my opinion can be skewed since I fit nicely into CRJ seats.

bhNC, thanks for the info. Funny the Democrat hasn't even reported this yet. No surprises here w/this announcement IMHO.

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Peidmont, about how many more people would a 757 carry in two class than a 737NG?

A delta 757 carries 183 passengers and a 737 carries 160. In comparison a MD-88 carries 142 passengers and a crj-900 carries 76. I also went on to the Delta website and they are flying embraer 175s and under the multiple stop itineraries you could stop at Memphis between ATL and Tallahassee, this should mean Delta will be continuing Northwest's Memphis route.

Democrat just found out that DayJet is gone

The small problem I have w/the article is the following quote from Marc Dunbar over at Pennington Law Firm:

"It's unfortunate that DayJet had to shut down its operations in Florida," Dunbar said in an e-mail. "Their service was going to become very convenient and I was planning on using them quite a bit, considering Delta has decided to eliminate the only direct flights to South Florida from Tallahassee. I am very disappointed."

Hopefully I'm making more of this than it should be, but that statement to me tells me the way the average Tally flyer thinks. Yes it's true that DELTA axed their FLL and MIA flights from TLH, but remember Marc, AA still flies between here and MIA. So those really weren't the ONLY direct flights. It's a Delta-centric world...well at least at TLH and in the minds of our passengers.

Democrat just found out that DayJet is gone

The small problem I have w/the article is the following quote from Marc Dunbar over at Pennington Law Firm:

"It's unfortunate that DayJet had to shut down its operations in Florida," Dunbar said in an e-mail. "Their service was going to become very convenient and I was planning on using them quite a bit, considering Delta has decided to eliminate the only direct flights to South Florida from Tallahassee. I am very disappointed."

Hopefully I'm making more of this than it should be, but that statement to me tells me the way the average Tally flyer thinks. Yes it's true that DELTA axed their FLL and MIA flights from TLH, but remember Marc, AA still flies between here and MIA. So those really weren't the ONLY direct flights. It's a Delta-centric world...well at least at TLH and in the minds of our passengers.

Luckily the AA MIA flights are being supported by the good people of Miami. That said, if TLH flyers were to get on board, it would certainly raise prospects for ORD and DFW, which could totally annihilate the Delta stranglehold now that DL is putting all their eggs in the ATL basket.

I recently flew a trip from TLH to RSW with a stop in ATL. It wasn't bad, but driving takes about the same time so I won't likely be repeating that much again. I really like TLH as an airport. It has prompt, quick service and seems very personalized. RSW is a new, large airport with a similar feeling.

The issue of lower fares to the hubs and beyond is a big issue for TLH. In January, I have a trip out west that will require flying there and I may have to drive to JAX due to the fares being so much higher at TLH. TLH needs another carrier ASAP. I really hope as we get closer to January, that when I punch in my travel needs, I get a lower fare on AA than on DL because $300+ tickets to the west vs. $180 tickets to the west from JAX makes the drive to JAX much easier. I like Delta, I like TLH, but my budget may not allow me to use them. I really hope AA can make TLH a bit cheaper to fly out of with better connections at MIA than Delta can give at ATL.

Has no one thought of Jet Blue? They would seem to be a better airline to service Tallahassee than Southwest because they have focus cities at both Ft. Lauderdale and Orlando's airports. Plus Jet Blue's fleet of Embraer 190s would fit Tallahassee's passenger demand.

JetBlue_Embraer_190.JPG

Turns out your suggestion was noticed...somewhat! ;)

I was working out in the yard yesterday evening when I saw what I thought was a 737, but it looked smaller than that. When I came in I looked on Flight Aware and it was a Delta Shuttle flying an Embraer 175. I still think you're right though...carriers that use these Embraer twin-engine aircraft may find a gold mine at TLH if they can offer low fares.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/TCF5853...2249Z/KATL/KTLH

^Yeah, but by the wrong airline GG. :)

CapeFish I hear you about the TLH fares. I've noticed lately that the JAX vs TLH prices have gotten out of hand. Before I could plan my trip early and only pay a little more to fly out of TLH than JAX. I'm sorry to report that has not been the case in the last month or so. I loathe loathe loathe having to drive 170 miles to and from an airport and will not do it if the price difference is around $100 dollars, but lately on flights out West, I've noticed the difference is way more than $100 bucks. So on my next West Coast trip, I may have to make that drive. Nothing worse than landing in Jax at midnight from a 5 hour flight and having to drive that dark lonesome highway for 2 plus hours to home.

RSW was the one in state airport I always thought we needed direct service to before the cuts began. I too have known people to fly to RSW via ATL once and then realize that it takes just about as long to drive there and never fly there again.

I heard on the news last night that Gulfstream/Continental will began service to FLL from TLH and continue their TPA service. However those flights will be on 19 seater prop planes. This is NOT a solution IMHO. Props take almost twice as long to fly to these airports and they are really uncomfortable even for a small guy like me that fits nicely in CRJ's. I call these flights the "white knuckle express." I use to take them often in the summertime between here and TPA. Oh what joy they are over the Gulf on a thunderstorm day. :sick:

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys I heard this proposal on the news last night and it perked my interest. Vasilinda who is running for my FL House Seat, District 9 has "said one of the first bills she would sponsor would be to exempt Tallahassee from the 6.9-cent state tax on each gallon of aviation fuel. "

Here's the full story and article

Here's my questions:

Would this repeal of the state gas tax work to lower fares at TLH significantly?

Would it help to get us better airline service especially more in-state flights and maybe a new airline?

If it would work, could she ever get it passed in the State Leg. if she did get elected?

Is this just a silly political stunt w/no merit?

Here's my questions:

Would this repeal of the state gas tax work to lower fares at TLH significantly?

Eh, hard to say. Im not sure if the amount is significant enough to lower fares significantly.

Would it help to get us better airline service especially more in-state flights and maybe a new airline?

Hard to say, but I did read in the Sentinel this week that AirTran and Southwest may possibly begin talks on a code share program. That could possibly be good for Tallahassee. I dont see why AirTran wont continue more city-to-city flights in Florida, especially since Orlando is a hub anyway and is centrally located in the state.

Here's the article on AirTran/Southwest:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/services/ne...0,1380694.story

If it would work, could she ever get it passed in the State Leg. if she did get elected?

No, she couldnt, but it could still pass. It would become a Committee Substitute which basically means it becomes a committee bill and will be lead from that point by the committee chairman, which will most likely be a republican.

Is this just a silly political stunt w/no merit?

In this business, you never know.

I didnt even think about FSU flying up to Atlanta. That makes perfect sense.

Piedmont, I saw the jet taking off and climbing over downtown and was impressed to see a jet that large flying over Tallahassee. Im no jet spotting genius, but knew that it was significantly larger than a 737 that we rarely see here and the regional jets.

• 2 months later...

Does anyone have any information about whether the Memphis connections will survive the Delta-Northwest merger?

I have been hoping that other destinations could be added to Atlanta, Charlotte, and Memphis (exclusive of Florida cities). Washington, DC, New York, Cincinnati, Dallas, and Chicago would be great alternatives. However, I am worried that Atlanta and Charlotte may be the only destinations in the future. ;-(

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have any information about whether the Memphis connections will survive the Delta-Northwest merger?

I have been hoping that other destinations could be added to Atlanta, Charlotte, and Memphis (exclusive of Florida cities). Washington, DC, New York, Cincinnati, Dallas, and Chicago would be great alternatives. However, I am worried that Atlanta and Charlotte may be the only destinations in the future. ;-(

I doubt that Delta shift Memphis flights to Atlanta due to the extreme over crowding. That being said I think that delta will downgrade Memphis to a focus city and I would not be surprised if route to Cincinnati or Detroit was added.

I doubt that Delta shift Memphis flights to Atlanta due to the extreme over crowding. That being said I think that delta will downgrade Memphis to a focus city and I would not be surprised if route to Cincinnati or Detroit was added.

Thanks!

Having only a few options as to connecting airports makes getting back to Tallahassee very risky. Over Christmas and New Year's, I know several co-workers who got stuck in Memphis for as long as 2 days.

I was in Columbia, SC recently. I saw that they were served by most of the major carriers. One of my colleagues was able to fly directly from Newark. We need more options. In addition, Charlotte is only 90 minutes down the road.

Archived