Tallahassee Regional Airport

Florida

SD After you send this out, please keep us posted on any and all responses you get. quote]

I received a letter from the Mayor's office today. I actually received an e-mail response within three days of sending out the letter a week ago. It took a little longer for the letter to work its way through the bureaucracy to the people responsible for getting things done. I am pleased that the letter was given the attention it received. I look forward to the implementation of the promises made in the letter. Without further adieu here is their response.

Mayors_Letter.pdf

Let me know what you think......

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought this was interesting. I ran across it on FDOT's website.

Letting Date: 9/1/2011 County: LEON

Project Name: Foreign Trade Zone

Project Number: Work Type: PRIVATE DEVELOPMENT Agency: Tallahassee Regional Airport

Cost: $350,000.00 Contract Duration Days: 180

Description: Construction of Foreign Trade Zone at Airport

Roadway Name: None

Limits From: Limits To: Length:

so this means by 2011 our airport gains international status:?

I thought this was interesting. I ran across it on FDOT's website.

Letting Date: 9/1/2011 County: LEON

Project Name: Foreign Trade Zone

Project Number: Work Type: PRIVATE DEVELOPMENT Agency: Tallahassee Regional Airport

Cost: $350,000.00 Contract Duration Days: 180

Description: Construction of Foreign Trade Zone at Airport

Roadway Name: None

Limits From: Limits To: Length:

I'm not sure either way whether this proposal will lead to a name change at TLH or not, but my question is: Why wait so long to do this? With PC's new airport coming on line, why not beat them to the punch and start on this now?

Oh yeah SD, I think what you've done as a private citizen w/regards to our airport is great! Good job man. I suggest that if you do not hear from them again in a timely manner or do not notice any progress at all on the stuff you've talked w/them about....I'd give them a friendly phone call or follow up letter to see what the status of it all is. This is just too important to have them let it slip through the cracks.

Thanks Poonther!!!!

I ask that we all keep up the pressure to ensure proper followup. Maybe, the Tallahassee Democrat's evolving business section will probably pick this up and expand on it. It appears that they have been following discussions on this board very closely.

TJ,

That was an incredible find!!!

I believe the good folks at the Airport maybe tying the International Free Trade Zone with Fed-Ex and Flightline's expansion plans. When you add Piper to the mix, it really makes good business sense to wait for the other proposed construction to finalize.

BTW, I have always believed that Panama City Airport is NOT a real threat to us. They are more of a problem for Ft. Walton Beach. As I said before, we have the opportunity to increase market share once this airport moves to Panama City Beach. We have a year round market (govt., business, academia and pleasure) and they have a highly seasonal tourist market. We have transportation infrastructure for the cargo business. We have railway, trucking and interstate highway systems in place. They have swamps and woodlands out on the West End. They are 25 years or more from becoming a major airport destination. Thats why the locals fought the move so hard. It really didn't make economic sense. It was all politics with St. Joe twisting arms all the way to the bank.

Finally, I am just elated that the Tallahassee Urban Planet maybe making a difference for good in our beloved Capital City. :yahoo:

• 4 weeks later...

^A helicopter. :thumbsup: More specifically it looks like a fire fighting aircraft judging by the high visibility orange paint and the water bucket and hose. Not sure what model though. Sikorsky? And I am to understand that the Flightine Service Center will be added onto the back of the old aviation terminal?

By the way, I love the new picture in your quote TJ.

<BTW, I have always believed that Panama City Airport is NOT a real threat to us. >

<_< I disagree. I think Tallahassee's own analysis says that the business aspect of the Regional Airport is its strength, not the visitor/leisure portion. PC airport will be a big draw. And, if SW Air, Jet Blue, or some other discount leisure carrier comes to PC airport, I and many others I know will happily trek on down to PC rather than fly the disasters known as US Air, Delta, and their ilk out of Tallahassee's airport.

Maddox tried to get SW Air to come here for obvious reasons. They are responsive, they are on time, and they undercut everyone on rates.

George

FROM NEWS CHANNEL 27

"DayJet" is on its way to the Tallahassee area

TALLAHASSEE--The world's first per seat on demand jet service is on its way to Tallahassee. Florida will be the first state in the southeast to receive service from DayJet, a new airline that will primarily serve businesses.

Flights will begin later this year, with service expanding into other southeastern states shortly after. In this first phase, travel will only be available within the state of florida.

You can catch a preview on news at six tonight.

FROM NEWS CHANNEL 27

"DayJet" is on its way to the Tallahassee area

TALLAHASSEE--The world's first per seat on demand jet service is on its way to Tallahassee. Florida will be the first state in the southeast to receive service from DayJet, a new airline that will primarily serve businesses.

Flights will begin later this year, with service expanding into other southeastern states shortly after. In this first phase, travel will only be available within the state of florida.

You can catch a preview on news at six tonight.

Wow, six years since Airtran and the best we can do is on-demand 3-seater jets with prices so exorbitant only businessmen on inefficiently huge expensive accounts can afford it. I can't believe the amount of publicity this charter service is getting - you'd think it's the second coming or something, whereas 99% of our residents aren't within the demographic of its service, and it'll impact Tallahassee's economy in the most marginal of ways.

If nothing else, this private on-demand service will only serve to steal high-revenue passengers away from real airline carriers, which will spell even less air service for our region that we common-folk can actually partake in. Remember, kids, it's not the cheap seats you buy on airlines that pay for the flight (unless your name is Jetblue or Southwest). It's business class.

Airport Receives Stellar Rating on Annual Inspection

June 19

On June 14, 2007, the Tallahassee Regional Airport completed its annual Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Airport Certification Inspection. For the third consecutive year the Tallahassee Regional Airport met all standards necessary to maintain its Airport Operating Certificate, with zero discrepancies.

Each year the FAA inspects every commercial airport in the country over a two to three day period. The inspection evaluates airport safety, staff training programs, Aircraft Rescue and Firefighting (ARFF) services, and various airfield management and documentation issues. With such an intensive inspection, it is rare that no discrepancies are found. The FAA inspector mentioned that Tallahassee Regional Airport was well-maintained and managed, and the staff was extremely professional.

"Special thanks goes to everyone that assisted in preparations for the inspection and their continuing vigilance ensuring that Tallahassee Regional Airport is inspection ready at all times," said Jim Durwin, Assistant Superintendent for Airport Operations.

The Tallahassee Regional Airport, operated and maintained by the City of Tallahassee, thanks all its passengers and visitors for the continued patronage of their hometown airport.

"Wow, six years since Airtran and the best we can do is on-demand 3-seater jets with prices so exorbitant only businessmen on inefficiently huge expensive accounts can afford it. "

:rolleyes:

It's off to Jax airport for the leisure set..........recent comparison... fly out of Tally to New England for my wife and kid, about $900. Fly out of Jax on SW Air to New England, about $450. Game, set, match.

"It's off to Jax airport for the leisure set..........recent comparison... fly out of Tally to New England for my wife and kid, about $900. Fly out of Jax on SW Air to New England, about $450. Game, set, match. "

I hear you! I have heard on here several times that Jax airport or PCB Airport isn't going to be a threat to us, but I travel ALOT. I will travel and 1-1/2 hour or 2 if it means saving a couple hundred bucks. I did like it when Airtran was here though, they were top-notch for frequent flyer's.

Tallahassee Regional Airport Announces Enhancements to Security Checkpoint

June 28

The Tallahassee Regional Airport today announced enhancements will soon be underway to the security checkpoint area in the Airport's Ivan Munroe Terminal. These improvements include the installation of doors leading to the screening equipment and along the exit corridor, a permanent passenger queue area, replacement of the carpet with tile, and improved passenger information notifications, including the installation of video notice signage.

The equipment installation will allow the Airport and the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) to deploy personnel more effectively and better ensure the safety and security of flights leaving Tallahassee. The $1.7 million improvement project is being funded by a Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) grant and Airport funds.

Construction on the checkpoint improvements is scheduled to start July 2, and will take approximately 90 days to complete.

"It's off to Jax airport for the leisure set..........recent comparison... fly out of Tally to New England for my wife and kid, about $900. Fly out of Jax on SW Air to New England, about $450. Game, set, match. "

I hear you! I have heard on here several times that Jax airport or PCB Airport isn't going to be a threat to us, but I travel ALOT. I will travel and 1-1/2 hour or 2 if it means saving a couple hundred bucks. I did like it when Airtran was here though, they were top-notch for frequent flyer's.

I just returned from SF, CA flying out of Tally. If we would have used Jax we would have saved $60/ticket x 2. The $120 dollars just wasn't worth the 2.5 to 3 hr drive plus the money for gas to get there, the long-term parking (we were gone 2 weeks and in Tally we have friend pick us up and take us) plus the possible hotel in Jax since we had to be in CA early in the day and could not leave until late in the afternoon. If not the hotel then it would have been the long long drive home late in the evening being jet-lagged. Of course YMMV.

Jax airport w/SW and AirTran etc is definitely a threat to Tally.

However I don't think the Bay County airport in the beginning will be a threat. Now that could change w/time. If you add the passenger counts at both the current Bay County airport PLUS those over at Okaloosa (Ft. Walton) you barely approach the passenger numbers for Tally. And remember not ALL Okaloosa users will travel all the way to Bay County when PNS is actually closer. The vast majority of tourist travel to NW FL travel there by car NOT air. Also the tourist numbers plummet in the Fall and Winter. If the tourist industry can change those numbers for yr round visits and get folks to fly, then the passenger counts in Bay County will change. However at this time, a shiny new airport over there will not attract discount carriers. If the numbers are only at TLH's and we are told we are too low for them to take interest Bay County will hear the same thing.

Then there's the thing w/the terrible roads from Tally to PC. Jax will still take about the same to time to reach even though it's further just b/c you can travel on a interstate the whole way there.

So I believe that for the in the next 20 yrs Jax will continue to be our primary threat and not PC.

Also, I understand the reasons to travel to Jax to fly and do not blame you or have negative feelings about you for doing it, HOWEVER if you are driving to Jax, you are part of the problem.

I find leisure travel is cheaper when you leave on Tues. or Wed. if you can do it and planning ahead for TLH helps. I will admit that last minute flights from TLH are ridiculous!

My flight on USAirways both to and from CLT was completely full.

I truly value the experience and wisdom you bring to the site Poonther. It's exactly the type of thing I'd hoped for at this forum's creation. Is there any more advise you can offer on getting low fares from Tallahassee. I think these type of tricks are useful until we can get what we want from the airport, that being a discount carrier.

Archived