Tallahassee Regional Airport

Florida

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tallahassee being considered for a new aircraft assemble plant? This in conjunction with the Compasse Pointe Development will put Tallahassee in the drivers seat in terms of becoming a regional aviation center:

http://www.tdo.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?A...EWS01/704190343

But how will the progress on Capital Circle SW affect our chances of getting this facility? I'm very nervous about this.

As I mentioned before, Capital Circle SW is considered one of the primary weaknesses in selecting Tallahassee as a candidate for this site:

http://www.tdo.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?A.../704220350/1003

Some of our local officials need to show a backbone and move forward with this project (NOW) because those who are complaining will only find some other issue to complain about.

Some of our citizens are stuck in a "time warp" and don't want to see progress progress anyway.

LET'S MOVE FORWARD WITH CAPITAL CIRCLE SW!!

seminole you are absolutely correct. Capital Circle from end to end needs to be widened NOW. For the NIMBY's "if it should be widened" is NOT an option. Capital Circle along w/Mahan to at least I-10 widening is MANDATORY and should be expedited. I favor both going to 6 lanes and having Capital Circle just following the current route. I know moving Capital Circle might have some merit, but the time it will take to buy that ROW and then get a whole new set of screaming NIMBY's involved in the process will only slow things down more.

I have no sympathy for these folks that live near these two roads and are so surprised they want them to be larger. Duh, you live next to US 90 and Capital Circle which are both MAJOR ROADS, what did you think? Oh you weren't thinking, not our problem! :)

COT/DOT/Leon County should never speak of these two projects as "IF" or " Possibly When" but in the a terminology that says: "It's happening folks!"

From a self-done Microsoft Streets and Trips estimate, it looks like the main runway is about 1.6 miles.

Thanks for doing that GG. I thought our runways were pretty big since I've seen large military aircraft land there. And now for someone who isn't that great at math...1.6 miles equates to what...approximately...8000+ feet of runway?

Thanks for doing that GG. I thought our runways were pretty big since I've seen large military aircraft land there. And now for someone who isn't that great at math...1.6 miles equates to what...approximately...8000+ feet of runway?

Yep, just over 8,000 feet.

Yep, just over 8,000 feet.

Yeah that sounds about right!

Poonther, I agree with you totally. I wish there was a way we could say to Blueprint, or Public Works, or whom ever, don't do another thing before you get these roads done! I'm sorry if this comes as a shock for some, but I personally, was under the impression that the planning and design was done prior to the passage for the $.01 tax extension back in 99. It really feels like we've taken a step back with some of our road-way progress.

I think we agree exactly on this Capital Circle thing, Poonth...

• Widen Capital Circle SW Along Current Path.
  • 6- Lane the entire thing
  • FORGET the meandering sidewalks, standard straight sidewalks are fine
  • Airport Area a Major Priority, especially given the ongoing work between I-10 and US 20.
  • As you've stated, the NIMBYs ought to have known this was coming with the route being a major roadway, so ignore them.
  • Don't forget the street lights.

As I mentioned before, Capital Circle SW is considered one of the primary weaknesses in selecting Tallahassee as a candidate for this site:

http://www.tdo.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?A.../704220350/1003

Some of our local officials need to show a backbone and move forward with this project (NOW) because those who are complaining will only find some other issue to complain about.

Some of our citizens are stuck in a "time warp" and don't want to see progress progress anyway.

LET'S MOVE FORWARD WITH CAPITAL CIRCLE SW!!

Please excuse my complete ignorance on the subject and as I am fairly new to the area. What is the hold up?

The current route is controversial because of potential wetlands/stormwater-runoff issues near Lake Bradford. This happens to be Commissioner Debbie Lightsey's side of town, and she's looking out for her local interests.

Several alternate routes are being explored to examine their effect on the environment as well, however, as someone noted above, Right of Way aquisitions, may push costs beyond what's within our budget, requiring us to do the obvious (along the current route) in the end.

Hopefully the end is sooner than later.

I'm sorry I was off topic with my last post about Capital Circle. I thought this was the Tallahassee Roads Thread. My fault!

I went ahead and created a new thread solely for the discussion of Piper. I see this as a major issue, deserving of its own discussion pages.

Runway 9/27 is the longest runway at TLH. It, obviously, is the runway running east and west and measures in at 8000 feet. Runway 18/36, the north south runway, measures in just a bit shorter at 6076 feet. Both runways are long enough to accomidate the regional jets (and nearly everything else) flying in and out of Tally.

I have found the website www.airnav.com to be helpful in planning out personal flights, but it is also useful for anyone with general questions regarding specific airport, such as runway length.

• 2 weeks later...

We knew this was coming...... <_<

Delta Makes Changes at Tallahassee Airport

TALLAHASSEE -- Changes are on the way for the Tallahassee Regional Airport and it could affect your summer travel plans.

Delta Airlines is taking away some mainline jets for the summer and replacing them with smaller planes. Delta is taking the bigger mainline jets to Atlanta, where air travel is typically higher during the summer.

They're being replaced with smaller planes and that means fewer seats out of Tallahassee this summer.

If you're planning on packing your bags for a get-away this summer you might want to book a seat soon.

"To the frequent traveler, they'll notice 'oh wait a minute. I'm getting on a smaller aircraft then I've historically done,'" said Philip Inglese, Assistant Director of Aviation at the Tallahassee Regional Airport. "So, they'll notice that and they'll probably be questioning, 'well, what's happening?'"

What's happening is this: two of Delta's three mainline jet's are headed to Atlanta, replacing them are four smaller regional jets. That means fewer passengers on each flight but delta representatives say never fear. More small jets means more flights. You'll now get to choose from nine flights, instead of the previous six.

"We're looking and we're trying to make sure that the citizens of Tallahassee have the kind of airline service they deserve," said Mayor John Marks.

Mayor Marks headed to Atlanta to meet with Delta executives about the changes. He says he's fighting to bring better service to Tallahassee. But residents aren't so sure they like what they hear.

"Prices of the ticket definitely goes up, because the demand for the seat will increase," said Vidya Mysore, a concernced resident. "I don't think it's a good interest to Tallahasseans."

Delta ensures prices will not go up. It's all part of networking planes for tourism season, and attempt to save Delta money and keep them out of bankruptcy.

The changes are scheduled to switch back at the end of the summer when Tallahassee's tourism season picks up.

Mayor Marks is also pushing to get a direct flight from Tallahassee to Washington D.C. It would likely happen at Dulles International Airport. The mayor says he should know more in the next few months.

With Delta backing down somewhat, couldn't an Airtran or Southwest step in? Nothing the mayor or anyone else does will matter if the prices don't fall, and fall hard.

They have no financial reason to 'step in'. Tally is a money loser. As a frequent flyer, I am grateful for delta. It takes more businesss travelers to make tally an attractive market.

Common theme for multiple topics in Tally.....without more corporations, Tally simply doesn't have the money to sustain certain luxuries.

At some point you have to stop and think, of what comes first, the incentive or the corporation? Many corporations look for low-cost air travel to decide if a community is suitable to their needs. Many corporations look for entertainment, great shopping, vibrant downtowns, and other special places within communities. Some corporations we can lure with incentives, others require a bit more.

So my question is, how long should we wait for all of the major companies to start rolling in before we can demand of our community leaders a better managed Airport, Civic Center, and a more vibrant community overall??

TJ,

You don't get big city amenities and then corporations....doesn't work like that. The tail is wagging the dog.

You take what advantages you have and work them until you grow them. Tally has failed to do that so it won't have airlines like you want.

I didn't know a discount carrier was a big city thing. AirTran flys from Pensacola, Biloxi, MS, Flint, MI. Southwest flys from Jackson, MS, Albany, NY, Little Rock, Amarillo, Hartford all cities of similar size to Tallahassee.

If there was money to be made in Tally....they would be in Tally. So it isn't a Big City item for this...it is a money item. And Tally doesn't have it...or they would be here.

If there was money to be made in Tally....they would be in Tally. So it isn't a Big City item for this...it is a money item. And Tally doesn't have it...or they would be here.

What source tells you there's no money to be made here?

How could we possibly know how much money there is to make if the only carriers at our airport are charging 3 and 4 times the price of these discount buddies?

To me, it would seem to be a totally NEW ball game.

Tallahassee is going through the same cut back in seat capacity as other cities its size or larger. Take for example over in the Greenville, S.C. UP forum, they are discussing the same issues. Greenville, S.C. has a metro area far larger than Tallahassee's official MSA, (and a huge Corporate presence) but their airport usage is almost the same as Tallahassee with the same issues. Greenville is surrounded by Atlanta to the south and Charlotte to the north. They are being taken to the cleaners by Delta and are begging for a discount carrier. Yet, they are having a difficult time landing a discount carrier like Southwest or Jet Blue. They recently landed Allegiant Air (a discount carrier) out of Orlando for flights 2-3 times a week to the Orlando market. Last month, they did experience a slight uptick in passenger traffic because of the effect of having those few flights available.

What is interesting is that Tallahassee continues to generate over a million plus passenger usage in spite of us not having large Fortune 500 companies here. This is attributed to the State Government and Academia the two largest employers in Tallahassee. These entities allow Tallahassee the relative freedom of being recession proof and are a proven and powerful generator of economic muscle. Do we need to diversify..... OF COURSE!

Finally, the big jets will be back in the fall when Government and Academic activity picks up again. Its just like a tourist market that gets the big jets during the summer time, but the airport goes half used during the fall, winter, and spring.

The city is working on diversifying the economy. We just need the County and the region to wake up and get on board.

Tallahassee is going through the same cut back in seat capacity as other cities its size or larger. Take for example over in the Greenville, S.C. UP forum, they are discussing the same issues. Greenville, S.C. has a metro area far larger than Tallahassee's official MSA, (and a huge Corporate presence) but their airport usage is almost the same as Tallahassee with the same issues. Greenville is surrounded by Atlanta to the south and Charlotte to the north. They are being taken to the cleaners by Delta and are begging for a discount carrier. Yet, they are having a difficult time landing a discount carrier like Southwest or Jet Blue. They recently landed Allegiant Air (a discount carrier) out of Orlando for flights 2-3 times a week to the Orlando market. Last month, they did experience a slight uptick in passenger traffic because of the effect of having those few flights available.

What is interesting is that Tallahassee continues to generate over a million plus passenger usage in spite of us not having large Fortune 500 companies here. This is attributed to the State Government and Academia the two largest employers in Tallahassee. These entities allow Tallahassee the relative freedom of being recession proof and are a proven and powerful generator of economic muscle. Do we need to diversify..... OF COURSE!

Finally, the big jets will be back in the fall when Government and Academic activity picks up again. Its just like a tourist market that gets the big jets during the summer time, but the airport goes half used during the fall, winter, and spring.

The city is working on diversifying the economy. We just need the County and the region to wake up and get on board.

Sleepy little town with horrible city leaders and managers, Marks needs to be out. I liked scott maddux, he brought us Airtran.

Archived