Tallahassee Regional Airport

Florida

On the COT website for the airport, it states that Tallahassee Regional Airport is THE airport of record serving an area within a 100 mile radius of Tallahassee. That's well over 750,000 folks. The truth is that this airport is underutilized because of a lack of vision and leadership. There is NO Regional Marketing, NO Regional Outreach, No Regional Identity, and NO Regional Web Site!!!! It seems they are doing everything possible to manifest the parochial attitudes of the No-Growth forces in Tallahassee. :ph34r:

Sorry for the rant!!!!

i wish i could give you rep... that was a good post! i think you feel the frustration of many on this board!

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i wish i could give you rep... that was a good post! i think you feel the frustration of many on this board!

What surprises me most about the Tallahassee area is how elastic the airport's demand is as a function of price. I can't believe how many people will put up with driving 3 hours to Jacksonville just to save some bucks. I thought the value people place in convenience plus the opportunity cost of time lost on the road would more than make up for the fare differential.

To those who have done this in the past: isn't it tiring to fly into Jacksonville from wherever around the country or world you're coming back from, only to face a three-hour drive after landing? *whew*

---

As for Tallahassee airport's marketing, I don't think there is inefficient usage due to unawareness. I believe that the airport has 100% recognition, but demand is completely driven by the bottom line. If fares aren't favorable, the airport won't be utilized. I don't think there's any disconnect of non-utilization among individuals or businesses for which fares would be considered reasonable.

Too bad Tallahasseeans were too myopic when it came to AirTran v. Delta. While it's true that Delta matched AirTran's fares, the community should have been visionary enough to maximize their long term well-being by using their brains and figuring out that they needed to incentivize competition by actually supporting the competitor. I remember friends of mine who continued to fly Delta even with AirTran's schedule being favorable because they were "used to it" or they had frequent flier miles on Delta. Big deal. Frequent flier miles are becoming more and more the gimmick nowadays anyway, and they could've started anew with AirTran's awards program. They didn't think two steps ahead and consider that the only reason Delta remained attractive on an absolute scale was exactly because AirTran was in the market.

In general, if people who just live by the philosophy of thinking long-term and analyzing what incentives each decision they make may have on time periods t through t+n, things would be a lot better for all of us.

What surprises me most about the Tallahassee area is how elastic the airport's demand is as a function of price. I can't believe how many people will put up with driving 3 hours to Jacksonville just to save some bucks. I thought the value people place in convenience plus the opportunity cost of time lost on the road would more than make up for the fare differential.

To those who have done this in the past: isn't it tiring to fly into Jacksonville from wherever around the country or world you're coming back from, only to face a three-hour drive after landing? *whew*

NO! Mainly because its not a 3 hour drive! :shades:

It, for me, becomes more of a matter of prinicipal. The money is not an issue, but I dont want to HAVE to take something because its really the only game in town.

I also go out of my way to try and not book those specific airlines when flying from other airports.

On the COT website for the airport, it states that Tallahassee Regional Airport is THE airport of record serving an area within a 100 mile radius of Tallahassee. That's well over 750,000 folks. The truth is that this airport is underutilized because of a lack of vision and leadership. There is NO Regional Marketing, NO Regional Outreach, No Regional Identity, and NO Regional Web Site!!!! It seems they are doing everything possible to manifest the parochial attitudes of the No-Growth forces in Tallahassee. :ph34r:

Sorry for the rant!!!!

You're exactly right SkyDave. I eloquently said my friend.

Maybe this is something we here at TLH should try? If not w/this company then w/another company? I like their incentive packages and that the private company does the hiring. What are your thoughts on privatizing the control of the airport? Think it would work or would things get worse (hard to do that) or just stay the same?

Middle GA Airport May Hire Firm

It is tiring, especially when I have used Jacksonville on my trips to Singapore (nothing like driving 2.5 hours after being in planes and airports for the last 30 hours). However, the time spent driving to Jacksonville is often made up by eliminating a connecting flight. If I fly Northwest, for example, I can fly direct to Detroit from Jacksonville but have to waste a couple hours in Memphis if I fly out of Tallahassee.

We usually use Tallahassee, but if the cost of driving to Jacksonville (and parking) is less than the extra TLH cost (plus taxi fare), we'll save the money. It's also easier to use your miles out of Jacksonville than it is Tallahassee. Essentially, I always start with Tallahassee, but I also look at my options with Jacksonville, Orlando, Tampa, and even Atlanta. When you are talking about tickets for a family of four, the extra cost per ticket really adds up.

Maybe this is something we here at TLH should try? If not w/this company then w/another company? I like their incentive packages and that the private company does the hiring. What are your thoughts on privatizing the control of the airport? Think it would work or would things get worse (hard to do that) or just stay the same?

Im very much in favor of privatizing the airport operations (management) while maintaining government ownership.

Im very much in favor of privatizing the airport operations (management) while maintaining government ownership.

This company is charging Macon $135K annually for taking control. I bet the director alone of our airport makes that much money including benefits.

Good find poonther! I think something like this would be a good thing for TLH...just about anything would be better than the current TLH management team. We need some new blood out there to get energized & really shake things up.

Poonther,

Why don't you take the initiative and forward this information to the management of the airport, or better yet, Michael Wright, Assistant City Manager. He may not do anything about it, but atleast give him some food for thought. Then you can show up at a commission meeting and complain about how you've made suggestions that went ignored by staff. This is how most people really get their attention, especially if your issue is strong, which this is.

^Good idea and easy to do plus I enjoy doing things like that. I'll get on it Monday (gotta work today getting ready for all the company I'll have this weekend b/c being 2 blocks from S'time Tally puts my house in great demand) and let you know what I hear back, if anything.

• 3 weeks later...

Tallahassee being considered for a new aircraft assemble plant? This in conjunction with the Compasse Pointe Development will put Tallahassee in the drivers seat in terms of becoming a regional aviation center:

http://www.tdo.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?A...EWS01/704190343

But how will the progress on Capital Circle SW affect our chances of getting this facility? I'm very nervous about this.

I have no idea why the COT would put all that money in to attract a airline manufacturer but refused to give anything to attract Torrey Pines (bio research).

FSU put up about $40 Million to attract Torrey Pines and the COT refused to work as a team and help bring them in.

So the COT is more interested in manufacturing and not research?

I think research is much more likely to attract other research than manufacturing is like to attract other manufacturing.....plus research is more $$$. Not to mention it builds on some of what Tally already has. I also though the COT was targeting research which they showed when visiting Madison, Raleigh, and Austin.

Am I the only one confused by the direction (or lack thereof) in this regards?

You said it SPC! Bill Law for Mayor, heck just make him Emperor of Leon. As they say in these parts: "Bless his heart!" I know it must be very difficult working w/all our knuckle-heads in City/County Government.

I hope this one comes through also. I also think our biggest negative will be lack of a good road connecting the site to I-10. However Flightline and Compass Pointe folks are "first class" so that may help. I'm all for any type of jobs moving here, manufacturing or research. Of course I'm more for research jobs, but I'll not pass this one up either.

SJ, I know FSU was the big player in the Torrey Pines deal, but if I recall correctly, COT was much more helpful and supportive of that deal than the County was. TJ, help me remember if you can, didn't COT pony up at least some land for the deal? I know it wasn't near as much as what SJ would have liked, but they did not run from the project like Silly Ole Bob R. and his gang of misfits over at the county.

This is awesome news! The cities we are competing against all have very successful resumes on attracting new businesses. Tallahassee being the "new kid on the block" will have to really come up with an incredible incentive package just to make it past the next round of cuts. Gov. Crist will need to intervene and add some incentives to pull this off. If Tallahassee can make it to the final cut, it will speak volumes to other businesses thinking of moving or relocating that Florida's Capital City is truly "OPEN for Business". This facility will draw so many support businesses with it. Thats the charm of a manufacturing business. It doesn't come alone. It will totally transform the airport area. BTW, don't forget about the Fed-Ex expansion. Hopefully, it all comes together! :thumbsup:

Another answer to stjoe's post is

1500 JOBS!

But like Poonther, I recall information that the city did offer some money/incentives for Torrey Pines to come to Tallahassee. From what I understand, we just didn't have the 100,000 sq.ft. turn-key facility for them to move into. Of course all of this information came out after the fact in a conversation I had with our city manager.

Perhaps Don Quixote could pay us another visit and interject some more wisdom.

TJ,

I assume that was directed at me (the insult).

You are a real jerk frankly. Like most of Tally, you would celebrate a dunkin' donate moving to town and be pissed if Microsoft moved here.

Local govt offered no money on the torrey pines deal or building.

I am not against this deal....it is a nice one. I just don't understand why we offered money and incentives for this easily and little to nothing for Torrey Pines when FSU was also offering to help out.....PLUS, the COT had indicated for a while it was interested in fostering research (again note trips to Madison, Raliegh, and Austin)

You don't even answer my thoughts, questions, whatever, you are a frickin' little facist aren't you?

We look like a backwards town because of folks with mindsets like yours and the irony is....you are arrogant about it.

Tally should be a peer of Austin, Madison, and Raleigh, and we aren't even close.....but I imagine in your dream world we are.

Don't respond to my post again please because you are just a punk.

joe, Don't be insulted by things that aren't intended to be insulting. You call me, a real jerk, a punk, arrogant... well I call the idea of 1500 new jobs exciting, refreshing, and a move in the right direction, which is why I took to bolding the number of jobs Tallahassee stands to gain if this company does decide to come our way. This will have the same effect on our local economy, as the Hyundai plant has had on Montgomery, Alabama. I recently learned the city has also recently made a deal with the parent company of GT technologies to bring in 149 more jobs for the Commonwealth area, with the average salary set at $37,000.00, full benifits. That truly is news worth getting excited about. :yahoo:

The city DID infact offer support for Torrey Pines to come to Tallahassee. The only thing about that whole Torrey Pines issue was that the city and other players were only allowed to get involved much too late in the process and by the time all of the major players came together, the institute was ready to make it's decision. --My mother has always said to me and my siblings, "What the Lord has for you, no man can take away". I view the Torrey Pines thing much the same way... it wasn't in God's plan for us apparently, not to say something else won't come along.

I'd be very excited if Microsoft, or Sony, or Intel were to show interest in coming to Tallahassee. I'm not a facist. I agree that Tallahassee should be a peer to Austin, Madison, Raleigh, and I'd even throw in Sacremento and you're right, from an economic standard, we aren't close to them. But my feeling is that we're moving in the right direction.

st. joe, i feel the same way. the city is going to pony up for a manufacturer, but not torrey pines. fsu, once proposed a 1500 acre research park, reps went to raliegh, austin, and madison in search of the research version of the holy grail, and what do we have? innovation park......they do not even keep the entrance way mowed. where is the initiative to see an fsu lead world class research park? research is more important to tallahassee and it's often talked about brain drain.

on a side note, the word on the street is that anita favors, our city manager needs to go!

"I recently learned the city has also recently made a deal with the parent company of GT technologies to bring in 149 more jobs for the Commonwealth area, with the average salary set at $37,000.00, full benifits. "

Adding jobs is great. That salary amount is also nice.....but Torrey Pines and the average research jobs is TWICE that amount.

So again, I don't understand why we sent dozens of politicians on taxpayer money for vacations to Austin, Madison, and Raliegh, explicity stated we wanted to foster research and now we only offer incentives to manufacturers.

It doesn't make sense. FSU offered Torrey Pines $40 Million in incentives, the local govt offered little to nothing.

There were other research groups that relocated in the state that Tally made no real attempt to attract.

The local govt also helped kill FSU's plan for "University Park" a larger research park because it didn't think FSU should have a controlling interest (despite FSU spending over $200 Million to build it).

Is a job better than no job? Yes.

But it really makes no sense to me how this all progressed and why what was originally planned. Much like Gaines Street being sold as one thing and then the politicians doing another.

It doesn't give you confidence in what our local politicians claim the are shooting for.

Isn't the Piper proposal actually a move of the company from Vero Beach? I was in WPB last week and heard on the news that Piper was leaving Vero. If this is correct, anyone know why they are leaving Vero? Also is this just a move of the current facilities or is it a move and an expansion?

Archived