Richmond Sports

eandslee

• 2 weeks later...

VCU beats Nevada 85-76 at The Siegel Center.

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/sports/college/college_basketball/article/VCU27GATER_20091128-002201/308352/

Pardon me. I don't know a helluva lot about sports, but didn't VCU just come off of a big win over Oklahoma? Are Nevada and Oklahoma in the CAA? Has VCU moved up to a higher basketball level?

On the other hand, they began the season against an obscure school called Bethune, so I guess that answers my question. Those midwest and western teams must have been some sort of exhibition matches. dunno.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

From a report in today's RTD it is revealed that the average crowd at RAM's games is 6,663 at The Siegel Center where VCU is 6-0. Last year's average attendance by comparison was 6,106.

6,663 is 550+ more than last season's attendance at The Siegel Center and less than one thousand from capacity. And VCU star Maynor isn't even an attraction anymore!

VCU had better get busy on plans to enlarge the facility and hang a scoreboard above center court. :whistling:

Edited by burt

• 3 weeks later...

Two similar sized arenas in Richmond will host visiting basketball teams tonight.

VCU takes on William and Mary at 7:30PM at The Siegel Center.

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/sports/college/college_basketball/article/RAMS20_20100119-222204/318744/

Meanwhile, across town in the far West End, UR will go up against Charlotte at The Robins Center. Game time is 7PM.

Now, excuse my ignorance, but is there a University of Charlotte? If not, what is the real name of UR's opponent tonight? This story in today's RTD just refers to the team as "Charlotte." Could it be UNC at Charlotte?

http://www2.timesdis...-222204/318745/

Edited by burt

I think that it is UNC Charlotte. Had it not been for Skyscrapercity, I wouldn't have known that Charlotte has any universities. They don'pt get much press, at least not around these parts.

The academic part of the university is officially called UNC Charlotte. There are many that want to change the name to The University of Charlotte instead to get away from the whole "UNC" stigma (I am one of those folks). The reason that the article or what not referred to the school as just "Charlotte" is because that is what the athletics department and all the sports team at the school go by. Either Charlotte, or the Charlotte 49ers.

I think that it is UNC Charlotte. Had it not been for Skyscrapercity, I wouldn't have known that Charlotte has any universities. They don'pt get much press, at least not around these parts.

Charlotte = UNC at Charlotte. They are part of the UNC university system so you typically see them referred as UNCC when not talking about athletics. I think most sports media just starting to referring to them as 'Charlotte' back in the late '90s and early '00s when they had a number of appearances in the NCAA basketball tournament. I know there has been talk about stripping the UNC part of the name out... Aside from UNCC there are actually a number of other universities/colleges in the area such as Winthrop and Davidson (anyone who knows about recent NCAA tournament history knows Davidson, think Stephen Curry). There also various community colleges, technical colleges and satellite campuses as well. The reason you may not hear much about them in Richmond is a pretty obvious one... they aren't in Virginia. Same reason we don't hear a lot about other schools than those in the Carolinas. I only know of VCU because I used to live there.

Edited by dbull75

So, it is UNC at Charlotte!

Thanks for the clarification, gentlemen. Seems odd to me that Times Dispatch sports writer John O'Connor would post an article and not list the official name of a competing team at U of R's Robins Center.

I believe VCU occasionally plays UNCW, but I don't recall it being referred to simply as Wilmington.

Hahaha, dBull. laugh.gif Even I, who knows zilch about sports, have heard of Davidson, but primarily because of its academic reputation.

Don't you remember the University of Richmond as well as VCU when you lived here?

So, it is UNC at Charlotte!

Thanks for the clarification, gentlemen. Seems odd to me that Times Dispatch sports writer John O'Connor would post an article and not list the official name of a competing team at U of R's Robins Center.

I believe VCU occasionally plays UNCW, but I don't recall it being referred to simply as Wilmington.

Hahaha, dBull. laugh.gif Even I, who knows zilch about sports, have heard of Davidson, but primarily because of its academic reputation.

Don't you remember the University of Richmond as well as VCU when you lived here?

Ha, yes I know about UofR... I was speaking to VCU because it wasn't a geographically identifiable name (other than having Virginia in it). If you just say VCU to a lot of people outside of VA, they won't know what it stands for. Similar to when people here call Univ of South Carolina, USC... Well, until I moved here I always associated USC with Univ of Southern California.

True, true... that wasn't a slight against Charlotte, just that I really didn't know much about colleges in Charlotte but knew that UNC Charlotte existed thanks to these message boards. In addition to not knowing them because they aren't in VA ( I alluded to that in my post) I think that the sheer size (in terms of media exposure)of Duke, UNC Chapel Hill and NC State tends to black out other colleges in a 150 mile radius. I wouldn't expect anyone outside of VA to know much about higher education in Richmond either.

Edited by Brent

True, true... that wasn't a slight against Charlotte, just that I really didn't know much about colleges in Charlotte but knew that UNC Charlotte existed thanks to these message boards. In addition to not knowing them because they aren't in VA ( I alluded to that in my post) I think that the sheer size (in terms of media exposure)of Duke, UNC Chaplet Hill and NC State tends to black out other colleges in a 150 mile radius. I wouldn't expect anyone outside of VA to know much about higher education in Richmond either.

I didn't see it as a slight at all... I was just trying to clarify the name. It's not the most transparent thing either... Especially considering UNC has various branches to their name. I think UNC-Wilmington being the most prominent outside of Charlotte. Quite honestly, I wish they would just go to University of Charlotte. Sounds much better than UNCC.

VCU triumphs over W&M at Siegel Center, but The UR Spiders didn't fare so well against Charlotte (note, again, that UNC is not mentioned anywhere in coverage of the game at Robins Center.) .

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdis...-234805/319121/

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/sports/college/college_basketball/article/URBB21_20100120-221604/319061/

Edited by burt

News stories sometimes iritate me by failing to identify exact sites of facilities. These stories are usually written by older reporters who think Richmond is still a small town where everyone knows everything.

Where is the former Brown Distribution Warehouse on Byrd Hill Road?

Anyway, The Richmond Vollyball Club has transformed the former beer storage warehouse into a glamorous new 12-court sports mecca. It was formerly somewhere on "West Marshall Street."

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/sports/recreation/article/VOLL22_20100121-220006/319305/

Sports Quest gets $15 million bond allocation for its massive complex which (I think) is near Rte. 288 and the Powhite Pkwy in western Chesterfield.

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/local/article/QUES22_20100121-220606/319320/

I like this project a lot. Great way to encourage youth to be more active. It's easily accessible since it's at the intersection of Powhite and 288... Should be easier for Richmond to land more state high school sports tournaments as well. Wonder if they would consider building a larger than 5,000 seat arena?

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday, the VCU Rams rolled over Old Dominion 70 to 58 before a sell-out crowd at The Siegel Center.

Check out the story and slideshow in today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdis...-210007/322763/

Also on Saturday while VCU was trouncing Old Dominion at the Siegel Center the UR Spiders defeated Temple. On snowy Saturday, about 4,500 of the announced 6,806 attendees watched at Robins Center on the UR campus.

From Sunday's RTD:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/sports/college/college_basketball/article/URBB07_20100206-210007/322760/

Chesterfield County is pursuing sports in a big way. It is on the list to become a training site for World Cup Soccer at the Richmond Kickers' facility located near Chippenham Pkwy and Route 10.

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdis...-223007/323085/

Meanwhile, there's an ad opposite page 102 in the current Richmond magazine with a rendering of the proposed Sports Quest facility near Route 288 and Powhite Pkwy in western Chesterfield.

Edited by burt