varider

5 hours ago, varider said:

from IG @wpa_norfolk— appears to be a concept for the greyhound redevelopment

BF2793FC-E6F8-49FA-BB5E-A1C5E32694A5.jpeg

WHOA! I love Art Deco so this is sweet. Can’t wait to be disappointed when the review board demands they turn it into a big concrete box. :silly:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I will say I'm a bit disappointed that it looks like it's just a suburban apartment complex with a better paint job. Basically seems like it'll function like the development on Charlotte/Boush St. Unless there's anything public facing on the first few floors putting that on the corner of Granby/Brambleton right next to downtown seems to be a waste of a great location.

EDIT: Suburban might not be the best term for it seeing how it has no stand-alone parking lot, but I just don't like it's for entirely residential purposes. Good to get more people in the area but I don't want Granby street to become riddled with places you can't actually do anything else with. If this goes through this would be the 4th apartment complex approved for the NEON district that has zero first floor businesses. I don't see that as sustainable.

Edited by Arctic_Tern
  • Like 1

On 4/1/2022 at 4:06 PM, Norf Native said:

Next weeks state of the city address (April 7th) should be very interesting.

I hope good projects come out that day! It would be a great birthday present to hear something good for the city!

I like the design and how they incorporate the original little "NEON" sign under the above floors. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/1/2022 at 3:37 PM, vdogg said:

Look what I found!

https://vimeo.com/676436969

Screenshot_20220401-153828_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220401-153834_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220401-153839_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220401-153846_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220401-153851_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220401-153857_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220401-153915_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220401-153922_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220401-153952_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220401-154001_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220401-154004_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220401-154008_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220401-154010_Chrome.jpg

Went back to review the video today and for some reason it's been made private. Hmm...:huh:

It also appears that we're late on the announcement of the developer, which was supposed to occur the week of the SOC...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.13newsnow.com/amp/article/news/local/mycity/norfolk/norfolk-greyhound-bus-station-redevelopment/291-27567a96-9ae6-4b3f-8d7f-efb8f7a34e9b

"Over the last few weeks, city leaders reviewed several proposals to redevelop the bus station. The city originally planned to announce a development team on March 18, but that has now been pushed back to April 8.

"We're not looking to massively change the characteristics of any area," said City Manager Chip Filer. "That particular corner is vital to getting folks that are downtown, across the street, and up into all the interesting and exciting things that NEON has to offer."

Once they select a developer, the city will begin contract negotiations. It could take about a month for city leaders to finalize a deal."

Screenshot_20220419-155019_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

From the State of the City address:

Greyhound Bus Terminal redevelopment:  Courtesy of Breeden

"Houndstooth will feature over 220 residential units, and will include a parking garage, gym, recreation room, and a rooftop deck," he said. "This development represents a $35 million capital investment, creating over 300 construction jobs."

Edited by baobabs727
  • Like 3

We actually posted about this project over a year ago. Need to find the original post. Video was included, but strangely taken down. I remember some debate over whether this was was real or not. Seems we have our answer...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Norva757 said:

Ill believe it when its actually getting built. We get sold on these projects and then they get severely waterdowned 

Neo-colonial brick with a side of vinyl incoming...

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

• vdogg pinned this topic
On 4/2/2022 at 4:47 PM, Arctic_Tern said:

If this goes through this would be the 4th apartment complex approved for the NEON district that has zero first floor businesses. I don't see that as sustainable.

The Neon District posted on Instagram Friday that The Breeden Co., based in Virginia Beach, is the developer on that project, which will include ground-floor retail, live-work units and public areas

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I’m begging the city not to change a single thing from those renderings. That’s an awesome design, and it looks like they’re incorporating some of the original Greyhound station too. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BFG said:

I’m begging the city not to change a single thing from those renderings. That’s an awesome design, and it looks like they’re incorporating some of the original Greyhound station too. 

Considering this has been out for 2 years and the design hasn't changed, I think we have a good chance. Let's see what the people in design review have the say, but fingers crossed. If this type of innovative design goes anywhere in Norfolk the arts district is the perfect place, so if they reject that I don't know what to say.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1