New Tennessee Performing Arts Center (TPAC), $600 million, 3,200 seats, 1,500 seats, 500 seats, East Bank at base of Seigenthaler Pedestrian Bridge

markhollin

1 hour ago, Baronakim said:

The Polk tower is an architectural disaster and needs to come down IMO.  The state had to be very careful in moving around  heavy files as the offices had to balance loading carefuly to keep the suspended floors on the opposite side from shifting.  I have my suspicions that this building would not perform  well in the event of the earthquake that is inevitably going to hit Nashville.  The next big quake will not be from the west (New Madrid) but from the north end of the Reelfoot rift which is WAY overdue for a major movement.  Of course many of our concreter towers probably will not fare paticulary well either.  Steel framing IMO is the best structural framing for our seismic zones.

I've heard similar stories about the building over the years.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/29/2023 at 10:26 AM, nashville born said:

Here's hoping we don't lose the Polk and we don't suffer a quake of any major significance.

The quake regretably is unavoidable.  It is a matter of time.  However Nashville would have lots of company like St. Louis, New Orleans and Chicago.  When it finally rips loose IMO there will not be a standing bridge over the Mississippi River from south of St. Paul all the way down to Vicksburg.  Pipelines too.  There is a seismic driver that delivers a gigantic quake on a fairly regular basis that completely causes the Mississippi Rive to drastically change its course quite suddenly .  IMO it is the northern sector of the Reelfoot Rift that triggers it, not the New Madrid.  The quakes there a little over 200 years ago were of insufficient intensity to relocate the river or the delta appreciably.  That is an indiator of an event quite a bit larger than the New Madrid quakes,  Here is one of the proofs that major seismic events cause massive in the river showing course changes in the delta's depositation.  The last two have been relatively milder tah the older ones..  I think the next one will be massive and is probably overdue.  I have discussed my opinions with the heads of FEMA and TEMA and they agree largely with my conclusions, but there is NOTHING we can physically do architecturally to prepare.  When it happens, it happens.  The only disaster I can see that would be conceivably worse is the eruption of the Yellowstone  caldera .

image.thumb.jpeg.6e195c6922abd28be98484d83071e4c5.jpeg

Edited by Baronakim
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
16 hours ago, Luvemtall said:

I’m waiting on the official rendering, hopefully it’s quality and design outweighs its size 

I’m a big Bjarke Ingels fan (no pun intended). But I’m not thinking they (or TPAC) is going to be overly concerned with street activation. Hope I’m wrong.

• Like 3

On 3/2/2024 at 12:23 PM, CandyAisles said:

I’m a big Bjarke Ingels fan (no pun intended). But I’m not thinking they (or TPAC) is going to be overly concerned with street activation. Hope I’m wrong.

No challenge here, just a question to garner more perspective for myself.  Isn't the function of TPAC itself tantamount to street activation?  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, nashville born said:

No challenge here, just a question to garner more perspective for myself.  Isn't the function of TPAC itself tantamount to street activation?  

That was a comment on the limitations of the of the capacity effecting what types of performances we can have there.

• Like 1

Also, the Orpheum in Memphis seats roughly 2,500 and it seems to get all the big touring shows (although I'm admittedly not well-versed in Broadway productions). Surely 28 fewer seats wouldn't have that big of an impact.

• Like 1

On 3/4/2024 at 2:25 PM, Bos2Nash said:

I wouldn't expect TPAC to have ton of street activation in the traditional sense, but I would think something like what the Ryman has done with their box office/merch store along 4th Ave would be acceptable. 

Because TPAC will be set back from the river (behind the Bridge Building) this wouldn't be possible, but some public accessible space like the Oslo Opera House (designed by Snøhetta) would be great.

Oslo Opera House / Snøhetta | ArchDaily

There appears to be opportunity baked into the parcel for TPAC, but it will be a wait and see game for it.

image.png.1df9b60bc9f4354ead048253b60cb360.png

I think the downgrading of the MCM being more of an "egress path" is a loss from the TPAC perspective. But who knows, maybe the design team will have something that surprises us (pretty please lol)

I was recently in the Oslo Opera House and it is magnificent...the ramps you see are heavily used by the public for sun bathing/picnics etc and the building is always open for use of the restrooms.  I would hope the new TPAC could be something like this or at least unique.  

Edited by GreenHillsBoy
  • Like 3