Dickey-Stephens Park

Should a new stadium be constructed in War Memorial Park or by the Broadyway Bridge in North Little Rock's downtown?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Should a new stadium be constructed in War Memorial Park or by the Broadyway Bridge in North Little Rock's downtown?

• Downtown (NLR)
    • Midtown (LR)

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

nice pics, does anyone know if any projects have been made official in the area around the new ballpark?

The Enclave at the Riverfront is undergoing site preparation.

There is supposed to be a twin 9-story condo tower/marina development just Southeast of it near the river, I believe. I haven't even seen the drawings of this one anywhere yet.

As for the buildings in the original diagram, I'm not sure of that feasibility or who owns the land to do it. Maybe Stephens had some designs on it.

Yeah, but the current site plan shows "chicken buildings" for retail near the park.

I think those were the concession/bathroom areas inside the park. I really think it's more attractive not to make those separate buildings but to attach them to the main stadium structure the way Dickey-Stephens is.

I know that the Georges played some role in all of this but I think the city council should reconsider the site and design of the stadium. It's a golden opportunity and I really feel they're squandering it to a degree. It would cost no more to use a different site and more conventional design. If Overton wants to be a dissenter so badly there's his opportunity to really contribute something. It would be one thing if George was donating the land but since he's not even discounting it, why not consider other sites and plans?

The Enclave at the Riverfront is undergoing site preparation.

There is supposed to be a twin 9-story condo tower/marina development just Southeast of it near the river, I believe. I haven't even seen the drawings of this one anywhere yet.

As for the buildings in the original diagram, I'm not sure of that feasibility or who owns the land to do it. Maybe Stephens had some designs on it.

The twin 9-story marina development was to be built to the Southwest of the park on Greathouse Way. The developers signed papers with the city with an 180 day time table. The 180 days ran out last April. Nothing more has been said about it. At the time it was purposed two other developers from out of state were interested in the property. The property is undergoing brownfield clean-up.

Stephens owned the land in the ballpark block. The stadium took up more land than planned so Stephens gave up more land than intended. In return he gets the option to build on land across Broadway west pf the park. This land is now being turned into a parking lot.

The twin 9-story marina development was to be built to the Southwest of the park on Greathouse Way. The developers signed papers with the city with an 180 day time table. The 180 days ran out last April. Nothing more has been said about it. At the time it was purposed two other developers from out of state were interested in the property. The property is undergoing brownfield clean-up.

Stephens owned the land in the ballpark block. The stadium took up more land than planned so Stephens gave up more land than intended. In return he gets the option to build on land across Broadway west pf the park. This land is now being turned into a parking lot.

Thanks for the info.

I wonder if downtown condo projects are going to dry up for a while after the projects currently underway are built. A large amount of residential will be hitting the market at once and the perception of the condo market nationally is one of caution right now.

Thanks for the info.

I wonder if downtown condo projects are going to dry up for a while after the projects currently underway are built. A large amount of residential will be hitting the market at once and the perception of the condo market nationally is one of caution right now.

When the housing market is no longer active there is usually an up turn in the building of apartments. LR has not had any new apartments built in the downtown area. If the Enclave is a success in NLR then I would expect something to follow south of the river.

When the housing market is no longer active there is usually an up turn in the building of apartments. LR has not had any new apartments built in the downtown area. If the Enclave is a success in NLR then I would expect something to follow south of the river.

That's badly needed anyway. Other than Block 2, which has the problem's we talked about, and the other lofts built a few years ago (Rock St, Tuf-Nut) there aren't many opportunities for young professionals that can't afford $300,000+ condos to get in the area. I'd like to see more mid-rise apts on top of ground-floor retail in and near downtown.

I think those were the concession/bathroom areas inside the park. I really think it's more attractive not to make those separate buildings but to attach them to the main stadium structure the way Dickey-Stephens is.

I know that the Georges played some role in all of this but I think the city council should reconsider the site and design of the stadium. It's a golden opportunity and I really feel they're squandering it to a degree. It would cost no more to use a different site and more conventional design. If Overton wants to be a dissenter so badly there's his opportunity to really contribute something. It would be one thing if George was donating the land but since he's not even discounting it, why not consider other sites and plans?

I don't know what will eventually happen, but that was a pretty early rendering and I don't think that means it will end up looking like that at all. As much money as their spending you'd think it's going to look nicer than that.

By the way nice pics skirby. :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

I was downtown this weekend and got a look at the structure. It's absolutely inspiring. I have to have tickets along the 3rd baseline so I can take full advantage of the view.

It would be really neat to open up the park for the fireworks on Jul 4 and Memorial Day.

I agree. Open up the park for the fireworks and they would make a killing off of concessions. They could also broadcast the Arkansas Symphony Orchestra from the amphitheatre. Or they could do something different and show a movie like "Yankee Doodle Dandy."

On October 12th, there will be a Beam Signing Party on Willow between Broadway & Riverfront. People will be able to sign their name on a beam that will be used in the construction of Dickey-Stephens Park. Also, NLR is looking into installing security cameras around the ballpark as well as Main St. and Alltel Arena.

• 2 weeks later...

Dickey-Stephens is going to have one the best urban views of any park in the Texas League and possibly will rival any view in minor league baseball.

I know Memphis's Autozone Park is right in the middle of the downtown. I agree that Dickey-Stephens will have a nice urban view, much more than the Springdale Wranglers. I look forward to watcing a game there some day.

I know Memphis's Autozone Park is right in the middle of the downtown. I agree that Dickey-Stephens will have a nice urban view, much more than the Springdale Wranglers. I look forward to watcing a game there some day.

I think Autozone is a great park but the view isn't much unless you like looking at the parking deck above left field.

Archived