Dickey-Stephens Park

Should a new stadium be constructed in War Memorial Park or by the Broadyway Bridge in North Little Rock's downtown?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Should a new stadium be constructed in War Memorial Park or by the Broadyway Bridge in North Little Rock's downtown?

• Downtown (NLR)
    • Midtown (LR)

The vast majority of games I watched at Ray Winder, the stands were less than half-full. Sure, the new park will generate renewed interest, but I would still think having 5,500 fixed seats would be more than enough for almost all home Traveler games.

I expect a huge surge in ticket prices. While I wouldn't have advocated building the stadium much bigger than this for now, I think an expansion plan for the future would've been a good idea. Someday they may want to go AAA and need to add seats. There also may be more demand for club or box seating without any additional general seating but that would still require room for expansion. Building without that in mind is idiocy.

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clock tower just about done.

dscf3970lh2.jpg

dscf3974ej1.jpg

dscf3978qg9.jpg

I still maintain the lameness of the seating...sheesh, there's more of a rake at Jr. Deputy park with regular bleachers. I mean, the seats are SO shallow...is this high school? And a big roof, but no cover over the seats. And no room for expansion...wow. I'm extremely underwhelmed.

I still maintain the lameness of the seating...sheesh, there's more of a rake at Jr. Deputy park with regular bleachers. I mean, the seats are SO shallow...is this high school? And a big roof, but no cover over the seats. And no room for expansion...wow. I'm extremely underwhelmed.

I agree, I was expecting more. Have you seen Dr Pepper Park in Frisco? I was expecting something of that magnitude for this price.

Here's the new (and I think, hideous) hat logo for the Travs...

north_lr_hat.jpg

I agree, I was expecting more. Have you seen Dr Pepper Park in Frisco? I was expecting something of that magnitude for this price.

Here's the new (and I think, hideous) hat logo for the Travs...

north_lr_hat.jpg

:sick:

That's what happens when you rush things.

Nice pics Skirby!! Any idea on when construction will be finished?

:sick:

That's what happens when you rush things.

Nice pics Skirby!! Any idea on when construction will be finished?

Gawd...

Why can't they just stick with the classic letters, adding an "N"? I went to a Travs game this summer and for the second game of a doubleheader they wore hats and jerseys that had NLR simple and classic, like the Yankees. Looked sharp.

Somebody with Adobe Illustrator had to get ahold of the logo and dork it up... :wacko: .

Gawd...

Why can't they just stick with the classic letters, adding an "N"? I went to a Travs game this summer and for the second game of a doubleheader they wore hats and jerseys that had NLR simple and classic, like the Yankees. Looked sharp.

Somebody with Adobe Illustrator had to get ahold of the logo and dork it up... :wacko: .

I agree. I think just adding an "N" to the current logo would be attractive.

I agree with you guys. That stadium is completely underwhelming. I was expecting to get a new perspective on the LR skyline in the stadium. It seems just standing right outside the stadium will afford me the same view.

And agreed, that NLR logo is hideous. I'm pretty sure I could crank out a better logo in 10 minutes on adobe photoshop.

Old logo + "North" in a Microsoft Word-esque fashion = bad logo.

I agree with you guys. That stadium is completely underwhelming. I was expecting to get a new perspective on the LR skyline in the stadium. It seems just standing right outside the stadium will afford me the same view.

And agreed, that NLR logo is hideous. I'm pretty sure I could crank out a better logo in 10 minutes on adobe photoshop.

Old logo + "North" in a Microsoft Word-esque fashion = bad logo.

Did they change colors, too? That photo looks like the colors are orange and blue...

• 3 weeks later...

I agree on all these points. I'm disappointed thus far.

Oh....what a debacle we have on our hands.

Anyone now notice my earlier comments about the lack of actual rows/seats at Dickey-Stephens? ALL of those stadiums are in smaller markets than Little Rock, and they are HUGE in appearance/scale. I'm telling you....high school.

Seriously, the money in any stadium is not tied up in the inexpensive concrete risers and metal bleachers...its all in the supporting facilities. Why oh why would they skimp on, you know, seats for fans?

The earlier picture looking south out of the stands at the LR skyline reminds me of Baum Stadium in Fayetteville, looking south at the Boston Mtns. It's nice to know that we have to top-notch ballparks with great views in the state of Arkansas.

From what I could find out, Baum holds about 9,000, but I know more seats are being added this year. I don't personally know anything about the Springdale stadium.

Oh....what a debacle we have on our hands.

Anyone now notice my earlier comments about the lack of actual rows/seats at Dickey-Stephens? ALL of those stadiums are in smaller markets than Little Rock, and they are HUGE in appearance/scale. I'm telling you....high school.

Seriously, the money in any stadium is not tied up in the inexpensive concrete risers and metal bleachers...its all in the supporting facilities. Why oh why would they skimp on, you know, seats for fans?

What I don't get is that it's supposed to seat 5000, right?

Pringles Park seats 6000, Hammons 8500, Midland, TX 6000, so why does ours look so much smaller?

Incidentally, here are a few more pics I found:

Midland, TX First American Bank Stadium, which is what Valentine said he modeled our park after...

midland.jpg

midland2.jpg

Corpus Christi, TX (Whataburger)

Trustmark Park (Pearl, MS) - the new Jackson franchise

pearl.jpg

pearl2.jpg

West End Park (Greenville, SC)

westend.jpg

westend2.jpg

Riverwalk Stadium (Montgomery, AL)

riverw.jpg

riverw2.jpg

Grizzlies Stadium (Fresno, CA)

riverw2.jpg

grizzlies2.jpg

Fifth Third Field (Toledo, OH)

53tol.jpg

53tol2.jpg

53tol3.jpg

Clipper Magazine Stadium (Lancaster, PA)

lancaster.jpg

lancaster2.jpg

Archived