Dickey-Stephens Park

Should a new stadium be constructed in War Memorial Park or by the Broadyway Bridge in North Little Rock's downtown?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Should a new stadium be constructed in War Memorial Park or by the Broadyway Bridge in North Little Rock's downtown?

• Downtown (NLR)
    • Midtown (LR)

Aporkalypse...you're absolutely right regarding your observations. I realize that my perspective is a little more "evangelical" due to my profession. However, my point really is that regardless of whether or not a project's "style" is contemporary or borrowed from the past, the ultimate goal is for it to be well executed. In that light, great execution usually results in a "timeless" building, regardless of style. The parks you mention that are steeped in the "retro" genre are very well executed, and as such, I agree...they are quite nice. Unfortunately, it appears to me that DS is of the "watered down" variety, which is a disappointment. I hope I'm wrong.

I'm reserving judgment for the finished product but I understand EXACTLY where you're coming from now and I share the same concerns.

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately, it appears to me that DS is of the "watered down" variety, which is a disappointment.

To me, D-S seems very simple... Almost to the point of plain. I hope that they've paid attention to more details inside the park than it appears they have to the exterior design.

To me, D-S seems very simple... Almost to the point of plain. I hope that they've paid attention to more details inside the park than it appears they have to the exterior design.

I couldn't agree more. I had higher expectations, just like most on here. Maybe, as you said Cozmosis, they put the bulk of the attention on the inside of the park and not just the suites.

I guess I can't understand what the problem is.

It's a small, intimate, classy park. EXACTLY what a minor-league park is supposed to be. People go to minor league games for the atmosphere of being outside, drinking a beer, and eating a hot dog at the park on a beautiful summer day.

I understand where Architect is coming from, but I'm so glad the park doesn't look like Springdale's. I think it looks terrible, and in ten years we'd be moaning about the eyesore it is in a thriving district downtown.

I guess I can't understand what the problem is.

It's a small, intimate, classy park. EXACTLY what a minor-league park is supposed to be. People go to minor league games for the atmosphere of being outside, drinking a beer, and eating a hot dog at the park on a beautiful summer day.

I understand where Architect is coming from, but I'm so glad the park doesn't look like Springdale's. I think it looks terrible, and in ten years we'd be moaning about the eyesore it is in a thriving district downtown.

You're right CentralArkansas - that that's a risk in that it would appear dated after time. But like I mentioned, I think that's more a product of how well it is done than any one particular style. I guess its really too early to judge either project, particularly the Springdale park.

My biggest beef with Dickey-Stephens really is the scale, or lack thereof. It seems way too small (in scale) compared to Ray Winder. I would rather have seen more rows (height - like RW) and less extension down the sides. I hope we all find that it is a great park!

You're right CentralArkansas - that that's a risk in that it would appear dated after time. But like I mentioned, I think that's more a product of how well it is done than any one particular style. I guess its really too early to judge either project, particularly the Springdale park.

My biggest beef with Dickey-Stephens really is the scale, or lack thereof. It seems way too small (in scale) compared to Ray Winder. I would rather have seen more rows (height - like RW) and less extension down the sides. I hope we all find that it is a great park!

It seems to look a little larger with the seats in (thanks for the pictures, skirb).

At this point, we might as well just go check out the finished product in a couple of months and see what we think.

One good thing about all of this is that if attendance goes way up as expected, since the Travs are for all intents and purposes non-profit there should be money in 5-10 years to make some additions or modifications to the stadium.

Aporkalypse...you're absolutely right regarding your observations. I realize that my perspective is a little more "evangelical" due to my profession. However, my point really is that regardless of whether or not a project's "style" is contemporary or borrowed from the past, the ultimate goal is for it to be well executed. In that light, great execution usually results in a "timeless" building, regardless of style. The parks you mention that are steeped in the "retro" genre are very well executed, and as such, I agree...they are quite nice. Unfortunately, it appears to me that DS is of the "watered down" variety, which is a disappointment. I hope I'm wrong.

Yikes...drove by with my boys today after the USS Razorback (submarine) tour, and my fears are being realized....noticed that the WHOLE roof is asphalt shingles...on a commercial, dare I say "civic" building. Wow. You don't even see this on "decent" branch banks! This should have been a metal roof at a minimum. It looks like #@$#! Asphalt shingles are a residential grade material, the cheapest and least durable roof money can buy. It shows.

It better be @#$#@! impressive on the interior!

Yikes...drove by with my boys today after the USS Razorback (submarine) tour, and my fears are being realized....noticed that the WHOLE roof is asphalt shingles...on a commercial, dare I say "civic" building. Wow. You don't even see this on "decent" branch banks! This should have been a metal roof at a minimum. It looks like #@$#! Asphalt shingles are a residential grade material, the cheapest and least durable roof money can buy. It shows.

I agree, asphalt shingles screams cheap and it looks it. I was trying to put my finger on why this building seemed so "boring" to me. That's part of it. The other part is the entrace, which as I've said before, reminds me of a church. Oh well, perhaps it'll feel much better on the inside.

I griped about the shingles on Travelerocity and didn't get much of a response from Valentine. He believes this is state of the art and it irritates me. Honestly, I'd like to see him give up the reins. He's kind of bitter and excessively contrary and divisive.

A green metal roof was what I was expecting based on earlier pictures I had seen, I too was disappointed to see the shingles.

I griped about the shingles on Travelerocity and didn't get much of a response from Valentine. He believes this is state of the art and it irritates me. Honestly, I'd like to see him give up the reins. He's kind of bitter and excessively contrary and divisive.

A green metal roof was what I was expecting based on earlier pictures I had seen, I too was disappointed to see the shingles.

Yeah. They suck.

Yeah. They suck.

I posted it again today to see what he would say.

Here's Valentine's response:

"We tried to build a building that looked liked it belonged....not one that looked like it was built yesterday....that is the reason we have a normal roof.....so a green metal roof would have made a huge difference in attending a game at Dickey-Stephens Park?.......we did the normal roof for a reason....not for costs...we wanted to look like a old train station...clay roofs of the 1920 and 1930 would certainly have been too costly...."

"We tried to build a building that looked liked it belonged....not one that looked like it was built yesterday....that is the reason we have a normal roof.....so a green metal roof would have made a huge difference in attending a game at Dickey-Stephens Park?.......we did the normal roof for a reason....not for costs...we wanted to look like a old train station...clay roofs of the 1920 and 1930 would certainly have been too costly...."

I don't blame him for defending it, but he doesn't know what he's talking about. Metal roofs have been around a LOT longer than asphalt shingle..which in the relative history of roofing, is in its infancy. There is no "history" of asphalt shingles...its today's poor substitute for wood shake and/or clay tile. He's right about clay tile though...wow, that'll set you back.

I don't blame him for defending it, but he doesn't know what he's talking about. Metal roofs have been around a LOT longer than asphalt shingle..which in the relative history of roofing, is in its infancy. There is no "history" of asphalt shingles...its today's poor substitute for wood shake and/or clay tile. He's right about clay tile though...wow, that'll set you back.

It is hard to find images of 'old train stations' online that justify the DS design.

Here is another insight into this gaffe...if you look at the rendering of Dickey-Stephens on the NLR Chamber of Commerce certificates for 2007, it shows a metal roof! Bill is making excuses...no way would they have chosen that except for cost. I know HKS, and their work is exemplary....asphalt shingles would not be a part of their desired template. Pretty sad that Bill thinks this is a "normal" roof. Since when did we want the park to be normal anyway?

A year round restaurant featuring Italian food will open in DS at the end of April. It will overlook the infield and have its own entrance from the street. If only they would now open a sports bar between the outfield and Riverfront Drive. If they built it with a rooftop deck then a visitor could watch a game or enjoy a river view. NLR is developing a good number of downtown restaurants. Will there be enough traffic to keep them going?

A year round restaurant featuring Italian food will open in DS at the end of April. It will overlook the infield and have its own entrance from the street. If only they would now open a sports bar between the outfield and Riverfront Drive. If they built it with a rooftop deck then a visitor could watch a game or enjoy a river view. NLR is developing a good number of downtown restaurants. Will there be enough traffic to keep them going?

The restaurant will be called "Valentine's". I didn't realize it was going to be Italian, that seems like an odd choice. The best Italian in Arkansas is two blocks away. More of a sports bar-ish type of place makes more sense, although I like your idea as well.

I'm just glad that they are going to have a year round restaurant at Dickey Stephen. Most of the minor league parks in larger cities have one. It will be an added addition to the downtown NLR restaurant seen. But as Aporkalypse said it probably would have been better if it was more of a sports bar.

Sunday afternoon at the ballpark.

p1000291ax2.jpg

p1000286nj8.jpg

Walkway to the parking lot west of the Broadway Bridge.

p1000296qz9.jpg

p1000300wn4.jpg

My first time inside the park. Still some work to be done but it looks nice. The lights on two of the poles were on and tonight all poles will have the power on. View past right field when you first walk in .

p1000305bh0.jpg

p1000309um2.jpg

Didn't have much time they were locking the gates.

p1000312iu5.jpg

I drove across the Broadway Bridge and around the park tonight. It's the best look I've had inside under the lights. Maybe I'm just ready for baseball season to start, but I was pretty impressed with what I saw. The depth of the seating was noticable as many here have mentioned as a major flaw, but the skyboxes add a professional feel that Ray Winder lacked.

I liked what I saw inside the park a LOT more than I like the exterior. The structure itself just appears to be a lot bigger (and nicer) than it does on the outside. (obviously, since the field is in a huge hole). As I drove east on Broadway, I got a good look at the skyline, and although I've seen the view several times before, the lights from the ballpark added a new feel. They could charge double for the tickets on the third base line, and I'd still pay it.

You can also see the outline where the scoreboard is going to be placed in left field. The size is definately going to be impressive. I just hope the quality is on par with the scale of it. It sounds like it will be.

Overall, I'm more optomistic about the park than I was when the exterior was my only impression. One more thing I would like to see is better lighting around the parking lots between the park and Alltel. I also seem to forget every winter just how great a ballpark looks under lights. Add the downtown feel, and night games at DSP may become one of my favorite things to do in LR.

Went to the open house today. Will post pics later but these are a start.

Sign for Valentine's.

p1000759ni6.jpg

The boss himself in front of his namesake.

p1000814tu4.jpg

The scoreboard.

p1000668be7.jpg

Some of the sections have 18 rows of seats.

p1000806ks6.jpg

So Skirby, how is Dickey Stephens. Most on here, including myself, are not impressed with the ballpark. Should we not judge the book by its cover? It looks plan on the outside. Does the inside have the wow factor that will impress?

Archived