Dickey-Stephens Park

Should a new stadium be constructed in War Memorial Park or by the Broadyway Bridge in North Little Rock's downtown?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Should a new stadium be constructed in War Memorial Park or by the Broadyway Bridge in North Little Rock's downtown?

• Downtown (NLR)
    • Midtown (LR)

So Skirby, how is Dickey Stephens. Most on here, including myself, are not impressed with the ballpark. Should we not judge the book by its cover? It looks plan on the outside. Does the inside have the wow factor that will impress?

There is still work to be done on the inside. It is sort of like going into a house that is still under construction. As for the wow factor I don't know but it will be a nice place to watch a ball game.

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice photos. And while I'm sure it will be nice, I'm still underwhelmed about the number of rows of seats and other details. Certainly I cannot claim that my projects have ever been perfect either, but doesn't anyone find it odd that the height of the (goofy, asphalt shingle) roof and skyboxes is actually taller in proportion that the actual main seating below? I also question why that (goofy, asphalt shingle) roof wasn't designed as a cantilever over the whole seating area like Ray Winder. That would have fit into the baseball park genre in a more appropriate way.

It will still be a fun time....

Nice photos. And while I'm sure it will be nice, I'm still underwhelmed about the number of rows of seats and other details. Certainly I cannot claim that my projects have ever been perfect either, but doesn't anyone find it odd that the height of the (goofy, asphalt shingle) roof and skyboxes is actually taller in proportion that the actual main seating below? I also question why that (goofy, asphalt shingle) roof wasn't designed as a cantilever over the whole seating area like Ray Winder. That would have fit into the baseball park genre in a more appropriate way.

I don't mind the roof that much but what I don't care for is the green on the exterior of the skyboxes. To me it makes the stadium just look dull.

Maybe they need to add some flags and banners to provide some color and movement. I have yet to see the words: "Travelers" or "Arkansas Travelers" anywhere in the park. The space above and below the pressbox windows would be a good space.

I don't mind the roof that much but what I don't care for is the green on the exterior of the skyboxes. To me it makes the stadium just look dull.

Maybe they need to add some flags and banners to provide some color and movement. I have yet to see the words: "Travelers" or "Arkansas Travelers" anywhere in the park. The space above and below the pressbox windows would be a good space.

I thought the green on the exterior of the skyboxes was weird as well. I kept thinking I was seeing wrap that was going to be covered with some type of classier looking trim.

I thought the green on the exterior of the skyboxes was weird as well. I kept thinking I was seeing wrap that was going to be covered with some type of classier looking trim.

Again, the 'green' doesn't bother me as much as the scale of that whole structure overpowering the actual stands.

In no way do I approach the design knowledge of a professional designer or architect (and I probably don't even have to state that), but I tried to determine the proportionality of the roof and sky boxes to the main seating based on picture p1000690hm4.jpg by Skirby. I assumed that the height (concourse area) between the main seating and the sky boxes should be included as part of the main seating height. Essentially, I got a 1 to 1 ratio. If the concourse area height is included as part of the roof and sky boxes then the ratio is closer to 1.3 to 1. I would consider the later to be disproportionate.

Architect, do you think it would look better with an approximation of the golden mean (0.618), such that the scale of the roof and sky boxes to the main seating was 0.6 to 1? It would be interesting to doctor one of the photos to see what that might look like.

In no way do I approach the design knowledge of a professional designer or architect (and I probably don't even have to state that), but I tried to determine the proportionality of the roof and sky boxes to the main seating based on picture p1000690hm4.jpg by Skirby. I assumed that the height (concourse area) between the main seating and the sky boxes should be included as part of the main seating height. Essentially, I got a 1 to 1 ratio. If the concourse area height is included as part of the roof and sky boxes then the ratio is closer to 1.3 to 1. I would consider the later to be disproportionate.

Architect, do you think it would look better with an approximation of the golden mean (0.618), such that the scale of the roof and sky boxes to the main seating was 0.6 to 1? It would be interesting to doctor one of the photos to see what that might look like.

Sorry....I didn't mean to get all technical. All I was saying is that it is odd that the actual scale (height) from the concourse to the top of the roofline - the whole "upper structure" if you will - is taller than the actual height of the main seating. It would be like the lower bowl of Alltel arena only having 10 rows, which were overwhelmed by the scale of the skyboxes and their seats, etc. Its just a visual indicator - to me - that first, there aren't that many seats overall (which is odd), and two, that it would have felt more comfortable in scale had they shortened the 'length' of the stands and added that capacity back in total height or number of rows. I am sure that a part of this is merely working to grade; that they wanted to enter at street level and walk down into the lower bowl, but it forces a weird, and even underwhelming scale...at least to me.

After reading all the negative posts about Dickey/Stephens I went to the open house on Sunday. I have no artistic, design or architectural talents. I think most fans also lack those skills. I thought the field was just fine and believe that will be the opinion of the majority of those who visit it.

After reading all the negative posts about Dickey/Stephens I went to the open house on Sunday. I have no artistic, design or architectural talents. I think most fans also lack those skills. I thought the field was just fine and believe that will be the opinion of the majority of those who visit it.

I bet they will but I also bet part of that will be that they haven't seen stadiums outside of Arkansas.

I think the roof line and shingle is what bothers me the most...

They've sold all but a handful of season tickets for the box seats and reserved sections and all of the skyboxes. Impressive.

While I think that would prove the number of seats (or lack thereof) to be shortsighted, I guess that's a good problem to have!

How about the city of NLR having the get a waver b/c they broke their own ordance on the size of the outdoor sign. The one in front of Dickey Stephens takes up too much space. It is 201 sq ft and the city allows a sign to take up to 120 sq ft.

How about the city of NLR having the get a waver b/c they broke their own ordance on the size of the outdoor sign. The one in front of Dickey Stephens takes up too much space. It is 201 sq ft and the city allows a sign to take up to 120 sq ft.

I drove by this weekend. The sign really does look nice.

The park's growing on me. I like 90% of the stadium's features. I'd just like to see more seats, as well as that weird green peak bricked to match the rest of the structure and the clocktowers completed.

Billy V made the valid point that Corpus Christi was 2nd in attendance in the Texas League last year wtih the 2nd smallest stadium, one smaller than Dickey-Stephens. I understand his logic but I still think another 1000 or so would make it more comfortable, especially since they aren't allowing general admission people to use empty box and reserved seating.

The bottom line is that I think if attendance is as big as it looks it will be in a couple of years the money will be there to upgrade the stadium.

I'm back in town this weekend and I have tickets for Sat night. I can't wait to check it out.

I drove by this weekend. The sign really does look nice.

The park's growing on me. I like 90% of the stadium's features. I'd just like to see more seats, as well as that weird green peak bricked to match the rest of the structure and the clocktowers completed.

Billy V made the valid point that Corpus Christi was 2nd in attendance in the Texas League last year wtih the 2nd smallest stadium, one smaller than Dickey-Stephens. I understand his logic but I still think another 1000 or so would make it more comfortable, especially since they aren't allowing general admission people to use empty box and reserved seating.

The bottom line is that I think if attendance is as big as it looks it will be in a couple of years the money will be there to upgrade the stadium.

I'm back in town this weekend and I have tickets for Sat night. I can't wait to check it out.

I drove by this weekend too and saw the sign. It does look good. It gives the non-descript entrance more presence. I haven't been inside, but if the pictures are any indication it will be as nice as any in the Texas League.

I agree with you that there should have been more fixed seats. 6000 would have been a good number to go with the berm and other seating. That's about 800 more than Dickey Stephens has now.

I'm not a baseball fan, but I told my wife that we will have to catch a game once the excitement dies down some. Opening weekend looks like its going to be outstanding.

I drove by this weekend too and saw the sign. It does look good. It gives the non-descript entrance more presence. I haven't been inside, but if the pictures are any indication it will be as nice as any in the Texas League.

I agree with you that there should have been more fixed seats. 6000 would have been a good number to go with the berm and other seating. That's about 800 more than Dickey Stephens has now.

I'm not a baseball fan, but I told my wife that we will have to catch a game once the excitement dies down some. Opening weekend looks like its going to be outstanding.

I'm going to be in town for my college reunion at Hendrix. I'm going to the Sat game.

It's opening night. I hope somebody takes pictures.

Okay, I couldn't go for the whole event due to a meeting tonight, but I actually stopped by in the 8th inning (got in for free) for my first look-see. Here are my thoughts:

1 - Its new.

2 - The design...I'd give it a 6.

3 - The skyline view is impressive. *

4 - The whole "lawn" area in the outfield is great...big plus here. Nice way to experience the game in a different manner.

5 - The lack of the number of rows (i.e. 'scale') results in a weak looking stadium. **

6 - The stadium should have been built with 8,000 seats minimum, and I don't see an elegant solution for adding seats.

7 - The roof (material) is pretty lame.

8 - The interior of the restaurant looked pretty hookey, and no one was in there (in spite of the 8,000 in attendance).

All that being said, I think it will be a good venue in general and expect to enjoy lots of games with my boys.

* Though for night games, its difficult to actually see because you have to look through the bright lights of the stadium...so the glare makes it almost impossible to really notice it. It would be different for day/late evening games.

** Like I mentioned before, the whole structure from the concourse up is 2.5 times taller than the seats themselves. It makes for an underwhelming presence. Ray Winder, frankly, is much more impressive in this regard.

p.s. I am watching the fireworks downriver here from my office at the end of the game.

p.s.s. Unfortunately, they lost by 1 run.

Archived