How does the outside view Greenville?

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

You guys will like this one...

I met a physician in Charleston yesterday. He asked where I was from, and I said "Greenville." He said, "Greenville, now that's a great city with beautiful scenery! It is very progressive too. The leaders there know what they are doing." He went on to say that he remembered when BMW was looking for a manufacturing headquarters. He said that Charleston was originally a consideration due to the port, but that when BMW execs visited Charleston they were unimpressed by the work ethic of the people and the area compared to Greenville. He said, "People in Greenville obviously have a good work ethic and know how to get things done."

Another doctor walked up and said, "I love Greenville! What a great downtown!"

Cool, huh? :shades:

You guys will like this one...

I met a physician in Charleston yesterday. He asked where I was from, and I said "Greenville." He said, "Greenville, now that's a great city with beautiful scenery! It is very progressive too. The leaders there know what they are doing." He went on to say that he remembered when BMW was looking for a manufacturing headquarters. He said that Charleston was originally a consideration due to the port, but that when BMW execs visited Charleston they were unimpressed by the work ethic of the people and the area compared to Greenville. He said, "People in Greenville obviously have a good work ethic and know how to get things done."

Another doctor walked up and said, "I love Greenville! What a great downtown!"

Cool, huh? :shades:

Very cool. Excellent word of mouth! :thumbsup:

That's some great comments. I have a friend from Charleston who hopes to find a job in Greenville upon graduation because "it's very progressive".

Last night I saw a Charleston ad on tv. The campaign was "one tank to Charleston" much like Greenville's "two hours to Greenville" campaign for ATL. I've been to Charleston and experienced it, and that ad didn't do the city justice, IMO. I think Greenville's campaign is much more appealing.

That's some great comments. I have a friend from Charleston who hopes to find a job in Greenville upon graduation because "it's very progressive".

Last night I saw a Charleston ad on tv. The campaign was "one tank to Charleston" much like Greenville's "two hours to Greenville" campaign for ATL. I've been to Charleston and experienced it, and that ad didn't do the city justice, IMO. I think Greenville's campaign is much more appealing.

That Charleston Ad is annoying the heck out of my wife and myself with the stereotypical uppity Charleston woman with the thick accent doing the background voice work. I know that accent is indicative of the upper crust low country but if I had to listen to that everyday I would go insane. It's not that I don't like accents but that particular one is extremely snooty and one of the least unfriendly accents they are as if Thurston Howell III and his "Lovey" had born and raised in Charleston instead.

That Charleston Ad is annoying the heck out of my wife and myself with the stereotypical uppity Charleston woman with the thick accent doing the background voice work. I know that accent is indicative of the upper crust low country but if I had to listen to that everyday I would go insane. It's not that I don't like accents but that particular one is extremely snooty and one of the least unfriendly accents they are as if Thurston Howell III and his "Lovey" had born and raised in Charleston instead.

I noticed that, too. It's mainly when she says "Charleston" that irritates me. It's like she's trying too hard to me.

I don't know. That commercial comes across as having a fake blue-blood accent to me. The "Charleston" accent sounds different than that.

That was my thought as well. I felt more like I was watching PBS than an inviting ad for a classy city. I kept waiting for the "this program is brought to you in part by _____ and viewers like you!"

• 1 month later...

Earlier today I was in a store and overheard a woman saying she and her husband had just taken early retirement, and moved here form New York (it sounded like the city) less than a week ago. She said that so far they have loved it, and that the weather here was much nicer, she loves having the mountains around, and she couldn't believe how nice everyone has been. She spoke very favorably! :wub:

Today Mike Gallagher was broadcasting his show from the WORD Studios in Greenville. For those of you that don't know he has a nationally syndicated radio show of the conservative political persuasion. His show is available live in every major us city and he used to live in Greenville. Oh and he works for Fox News too. Anyway today on his show he kept going on and on about how Greenville, SC was the greatest city in the US how everyone should move here and visit here and on and on about hor great Greenville is. I thought that was pretty cool and should get us some exposure.

Now I am sure a number of you do not share his political leanings nor those of his readers so lets try to keep the politics out of the dicussion. I just wnated to bring it up becuase it was some great coverage for Greenville.

• 2 months later...

A good cartoon artist spoke well of Greenville (scroll down a short bit after clicking the link) following his visit last year. :)

Greenville is such a beautiful town- with a natural waterfall downtown and then there are the cafes, shops and galleries strewn about the city. The town featured an old fashioned Christmas Market and a Festival of Trees (decorated Christmas trees throughout the city). It was a great way to ease into Christmas Holidays.

• 2 weeks later...

Very good comments about Greenville by Suzanne Morse, President of the Pew Partnership for Civic Change and author of Smart Communities: How Citizens and Local Leaders Can Use Strategic Thinking to Build a Brighter Future. Her comments were related to the news that Chattanooga would be sending a delegation to Greenville in search of tips on how to manage growth and change after a major European automaker comes to town. Here is a small portion from her quote:

...In other words, it [Greenville] is a city on the move in all the right ways. What I liked so much about the community was this feel of pride by every person you met. So Chattanooga you have big shoes to fill.
:blush:

• 2 weeks later...

I travelled down to Jacksonville for the Gator Bowl this week with a couple of friends. Although I have passed through the city many times, I've never spent too much time there. Ultimately, this was my first real peak into what Jacksonville is all about.

With it all said and done, Greenville's downtown FAR surpasses downtown Jacksonville. I've never seen such a lack of dining and entertainment options. Jacksonville Landing is all that there is, and it is simply a glorified (small) shopping mall/tourist trap in the urban core. The skyline is nice and has some great buildings, but none of them have any retail. I'm really not sure where all of the office workers eat lunch during the day (maybe some indoor cafes for the employees, but there is definitely not anything they'd leave their buildings for...).

Overall, I just wanted to say that I now hold Greenville's downtown in even higher regard. A metro that can support a professional football team and a large downtown office workforce can't even compete with our city's expanding downtown. :)

At the Metro Jacksonville website they do comparisons of Jacksonville with various cities. Here is the comparison of downtown Columbia with Jacksonville regarding nightlife -

Downtown Nightlife:

Columbia: The Congaree Vista District contains over 45 restaurants and bars, 60 artists' galleries and specialty shops.

Jacksonville: East Bay Street, located between Main Street and Liberty Street. This four block stretch is home to four bars and clubs.

By their own reckoning the best entertainment district in DT Jacksonville has 4 bars in a 4 block stretch. I would say GvilleSC's observation is on the money.

BTW, the story they did about Greenville was ranked as the 4th most popular on their list of top 25 stories for 2008.

http://www.metrojacksonville.com/content/view/744/118/

Here is the main page. They have a lot of interesting info and studies of various cities.

http://www.metrojacksonville.com/content/section/8/118/

Cool find! Thanks for sharing! They have a great write up about Greenville. The amount of detail is the most that I've seen shared through this thread.

I like their description of the West End that they use. It's right on spot, and really supports the fact that the West End was, and is, a separate entity than the City Center.

The West End District is a former 19th century industrial area that under went a period of decline in the later half of the 20th century. With the donation of the historic Alliance Cotton Warehouse, the City of Greenville renovated the structure into the West End Market in 1994. Today the building contains several shops and restaurants, like Mellow Mushroom, Smoke on the Water and eclectic stores. As a result of the West End Market project and the new West End Field Ballpark, this area has once again become a bustling commercial district, as well as a shopping and tourist destination.

Archived