How does the outside view Greenville?

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 months later...

There are a couple of photo threads with comments over on the site skyscraperpage about Greenville. One is from a poster named Cirrus and the other from Clevelumbus. Some good photos and comments. One is currently on the second page of the Photos from A-M thread and the other on the third page.

Worth taking a look. Clevelumbus has a ton of very interesting pics.

• 3 weeks later...

Debbie Motz, Executive Director of the Eastern Outdoor Reps Association (EORA), likes Greenville. Apparently the attendees at their trade shows like Greenville as well. Here is a quote from ConnectYourMeetings.com (read more):

Debbie Motz has taken her biannual Eastern Outdoor Reps Association trade show to several cities throughout the Southeast, but none seem to draw the attendance that Greenville does. So instead of bouncing from city to city, the association holds its Southeast regional show every February and August in Greenville. “It seems Greenville is that magical destination that everyone will go to,” says Motz...

Based in Asheville, NC, EORA is a not-for-profit association that services the independent and non-independent sales representatives of outdoor human powered gear.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

TD Bank (Canada) executive Tim Hockey and his wife love Greenville. They even purchased a condo overlooking Cleveland Park to use as a vacation home -- before hearing about his company's purchase of Greenville-based South Financial Group. Tim is a huge cycling fan and was able to meet Greenville resident and world-class cyclist George Hincapie in 2008. The two became friends and the rest is still happening.

"The hardest part about coming down here, for me, is that we’ve met so many people. The people here are amazing; everyone is so friendly,” which makes it challenging, she says, to get out of Greenville and see the area’s bounty."

Read more: http://www.gvillemag.com/feature/arts_feature/artistic_refuge

The owner of newly relocated (from Illinois to Greer) Vac-U-Lok, made a few very flattering comments about Greenville:

“We visited this area and fell in love with the diversity of the community, its quality of life and the robust business environment. We see the sky as the limit for Vac-U-Lok in Greenville County.”

“My wife and I traveled from California to Texas to Florida and across the Carolinas and kind of stumbled across Greenville,” he said. “We fell in love with it immediately, although the final decision to relocate the company here is testament to the positive economic climate of South Carolina and the diligent follow-up of the area’s economic development teams as well.”

Source (thanks g-man): http://www.prlog.org/11010123-illinois-vacuum-workholding-manufacturer-relocates-to-greenville-sc.html

A travel writer from Knoxville liked what he found in Greenville.

http://www.examiner....main-attraction

"While taking in the view from Caesar's Head State Park in Greenville County, South Carolina this examiner met a Knoxville woman on her way to Greenville. She had considered going to other cities, but a recommendation from a family member had her believing Greenville was where she needed to go. At that time, I wasn't sure what the lure of this small Upstate South Carolina city would be, but I quickly found out what sets it apart from the rest."

There is a slideshow of downtown to the left to click on. A little confusion about the Poinsett Hotel though.

There was a separate, linked story and photo series about Falls Park.

http://www.examiner....urban-waterfall

Also the story about Caesar's Head Park.

http://www.examiner....-south-carolina

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The NY-based Design*Sponge posted a Greenville, SC city guide today. Great round up of lots of Greenville shops/restaurants, etc.

http://www.designspongeonline.com/2010/11/greenville-city-guide.html

I was so excited to see Greenville mentioned on Design*Sponge earlier this week. The secret is getting out that we have a great art and design community here.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here is a very positive article from the Washington Post's "The Impulsive Traveler" in their Lifestyle section

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/travel/the-impulsive-traveler-picture-perfect-greenville-sc/2011/04/15/AFzh5NQE_story.html

The writer rode the Swamp Rabbit Trail one day, including a tour of some of the attractions at Furman and then back to town to the zoo and Main Street and went walking around the Falls Park and downtown the next day with an emphasis on art.

Positively gushy.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is an interesting clip from a recent article by FOX Carolina:

When it came to choosing Greenville for the debate location, Mayor Knox White said FOX executives searched the state for the right venue. He said FOX's news director called the downtown area and the Peace Center startling and dazzling.

Source: http://www.foxcarolina.com/politics/27781747/detail.html

• 3 weeks later...

The progressive, provocative, and cutting-edge architecture firm "Studio Gang" from Chicago has a new book out called "Reveal". The book features many projects that they've designed. It talks about their context, the process and inspiration for design, and the end products. Greenville's Blue Wall Center is one of the featured projects (there's only a handful in the entire book). It's great to see ONE of Greenville's projects listed in such company!

Since the Reedy Square development is being kept mostly under wraps for confidentiality of design, it's not in the book. The level of design and potential for awards at the international level has kept the project out of the spotlight. There's no doubt however, if Reedy Square had been unveiled by the time the book went to the publisher, we would most definitely see it on the pages. Still, it's nice to one of Greenville's projects make it! :thumbsup:

There are several nice comments about Greenville here.

This blog also includes a few.

It’s always fun to go to Greenville to race. It’s a great town and offers a real challenging course...Macen took the girls to the Greenville zoo. A nice walk from our hotel. This is a very cool city with lots happening everywhere. We had dinner outside at Soby’s and it was GREAT!

I recently had two experiences where Greenville was mentioned in very positive terms.

The first was a charrette I was working on in Starkville, Mississippi. The planning firm, Placemakers, was giving a presentation to the city council about some proposed changes to the city. One of the slides they frequently use was Main Street Greenville, which they used as an example of what good urbanism in a smaller city looks like. I think it was very effective in conveying a message to the city about what kinds of changes they should be working toward.

I also just returned from the CNU Congress in Madison. I met any number of people from around the country who had heard of Greenville. Without exception, they knew it as a place where good things were happening.

Needless to say, in both instances, I was proud to be a Greenvillian.

^^Those are great stories!

Greenville's Chanticleer Course recently held a senior golf tournament for golfers from around the nation. And, I've gotten first-hand knowledge that several of the competitors loved Greenville, its downtown, and the course so much that they're seriously looking at purchasing vacation condos downtown and joining the country club as out-of-state members. That's an IMPACT! :thumbsup: It's small, unexpected things like this that will continue to absorb some residential units downtown and prompt more development. I love it!

Greenville is featured as a travel get-away in the July issue of Woman’s Day magazine.

The city was once seen only as a pit stop between the coasts and the larger Southern cities. It’s a destination in its own right, the magazine said.

Tips on what to do included visiting Falls Park, strolling Liberty Bridge and watching Reedy Falls tumble over the rocks and searching for the mice on Main Street. The magazine also suggested the Shoeless Joe Jackson Museum and Baseball Library, as well as food stops at Mary’s Restaurant at Falls Cottage and Trio on Main Street. Westin Poinsett Greenville and Phoenix Inn Greenville were suggested for overnight stays

From the Greenville News

• 1 month later...

Archived