Good New Restaurants

There has always been a combination of stuffed shirts and piercings in the PM and NoDa restaurant and bar scene. It's inherently tough to keep a balance going so either side does not feel crowded out. But it seems to be working well for most of the joints around there. I guess we just have to wait and see how well WW does.

Edited by Forrest

I'm still confused as to why anyone would name a place "Whiskey Warehouse" or "Whiskey River" for that matter?? :dontknow:

Why wouldn't they??????? Whiskey is what they specialize in... I don't understand you at all...

One of their signatures is that they have Jack Daniels *on tap*. And they also have a Jack & Coke Slurpee machine.

Plus, the back wall is basically a huge cascade of boxes of whiskey.

Whiskey is kinda their theme. How could any potential bar patron not love that?

Give it a try. This place will be a hit, I have little doubt. Nothing out of this world...but a nice, solid, drink 'n eat spot in the heart of Plaza Midwood.

Well I can't knock this place until I try it. But it appears this establishment is owned by the same people that own Braswell's on Montford. Having never been there either I can't say I can knock that place either. Personally if I'm on that side of town I would prefer to go to Sir Ed's though. I can't say that Whiskey Warehouse is something that particularity is appealing to me, nor does a whiskey slurpee machine entice me to want to visit this place. Yes Plaza-Midwood is changing, and so is the clientele. Look at Thomas Street, there are definitely less tattooed patrons there than 5 years ago and more buttoned up bankers that frequent the place. But there are also more option now in PM to go to now like Snug, Beaver, Soul, etc. that where not there 5 years ago, so I'm okay with that as long as they can coexist, and as long as I can go to a sports bar in the neighborhood without getting into a fight with some obnoxious drunk that feels they deserve the right to be an obnoxious drunk because their favorite team happens to be losing. I'm all for sports bars with peaceful, respectful patrons. Luckily I have not experienced that many sports bar in Charlotte that possess that kind of behavior, but at the same time I think I at all cost try to avoid them.

Not a "sports-bar kind of neighborhood"? What does that mean? We don't like sports? All authentic Plaza-Midwood people must have visible tattoos and piercings?

I guess my comments need further clarification. What I meant was that there was no diversity in the bar AT ALL. The night I was there (December 23), it was a button-down waspy paradise. Not that every bar in the neighborhood has to be Snug Harbor, but in my opinion (and the opinion of the people I went with--who are sports-lovers, I might add), it did not feel like we were in PM. All I'm saying is that I'll not be going back. But if you enjoy it, have at it. I'll stick the the Penguin for a good burger at half the price.

And for the record, I was once the president of the Charlotte Bourbon Society--I REALLY wanted to like the place.

The space that used to be "The Nook" and previously "The Graduate" in Plaza Midwood now has signs up. It's called Cuban Pete's Cafe. Says it's opening this month...

They also apparently purchased the store right next to it (additional space). Hopefully something in that space catches on.

www.cubanpetescafe.com/

Edited by plaza-midwood

^just went to Dandelion Market tonight and it was great. every plate we ordered was excellent, larger quantity than expected, and reasonably priced (there IS more expensive food on the menu but we were more than satisfied with the cheaper half). the draft list is a little pricey at $5-6 but its all really good beer. great vibe, great people, this could definitely be my new local hangout. since i left at 11 i'm not sure if it gets at all "uptown rowdy" after they stop serving food, but it struck me as refreshingly unpretentious and friendly at the time.

Edited by nonillogical

Has anyone been to Dandelion Market on 5th St? Looks like its tapas, but I'm not sure. It's where Latorre's used to be.

http://www.dandelion...tcharlotte.com/

It seems comparitively limited in the area of tapas. Lots of fried dishes like calamari, chips, etc. They seem to lack things like coconut shrimp, rolled grape leaves, curried chicken tapas, etc. Seems like the Stella Artois is overpriced too. But, if it is really nice inside and has a cool crowd, it is worth a try. I like the tapas specials at Cosmos has before 7:00pm. I wonder if this place has happy hour or specials?

• 2 weeks later...

This is more of a "new to me" than an actual new restaurant, but I recently tried out Havana Cuban Cuisine on Church St just south of Trade. While it was a bit on the pricey side (for what you get), the roasted pork is insanely good. Their food is very clean and simple. And they have some excellent Cuban sodas.

I've been to two new places over the past week and both were fantastic. Fran's Filling Station on Park Rd (near Rusan's) is great. The bacon-wrapped tator tot appetizer was to die for. Tonight I tried Savor on Morehead (beside the Open Kitchen). Shrimp and grits were out of this world! Thumbs up for both joints!

This is more of a "new to me" than an actual new restaurant, but I recently tried out Havana Cuban Cuisine on Church St just south of Trade. While it was a bit on the pricey side (for what you get), the roasted pork is insanely good. Their food is very clean and simple. And they have some excellent Cuban sodas.

Do they have their liquor licence yet? I tried them out when they first opened and was really disappointed. That said, we ate there for lunch the first week they had just opened so that may not have been the fairest judge of their abilities.

I went to the BLT Steakhouse at the Ritz last night as a part of Restaurant Week. Figured it was a good time to check out a place that would other wise be overly expensive. I thought the ambiance was very cool. Outside the restaurant they have a nice lounge area with bartenders and fireplaces. Very cozy. Inside the restaurant, it was a little smaller than I was expecting, but still had a warm feeling. The food however was a little underwhelming. I had the skirt steak, which I thought was rather rough and a little dry (had it served medium). My wife had the lamb, which was definitely better but not off the charts. The sides they had though were awesome. The jalapeño mashed potatoes and Gnocchi were excellent. The deserts were actually pretty good also. We had the cheese cake and chocolate molten lava cake. Overall, I probably give it 3 out of 5 stars. The entree to me just wasn't as good as I was expecting. Though, I have found sometimes you'll get short changed at some restaurants during Restaurant Week. I would be interested in having one of their regular menu steaks to give it another try. Otherwise, in my opinion they don't hold a handle to the best steak restaurants in Charlotte (for me those are Del Frisco's and Sullivan's).

^ Until I saw your last sentence, I was going to make the observation about restaurant week, that you really do get shortchanged. Places that serve a limited menu, typically are cooking those items in bulk, so they aren't cooked the same as normal, plus they aren't really putting the personal attention into it. Also, the wait staff doesn't put their full efforts in, as usually they are over-worked and getting tipped less than average.

I wouldn't judge a place by restaurant week, unless it is remarkably bad.

I wouldn't judge a place by restaurant week, unless it is remarkably bad.

I've been to Del Frisco's a couple times (best steak in Charlotte...or pretty much anywhere else IMO) on regular nights, and the food and service were just incredible. Then, I went again for the previous restaurant week, the closest comparison I could think of was food you get on a cruise ship...not bad by all means, but definitely mass produced. There was a very noticeable difference.

check the Restaurant Week menus for those that are doing a lot of options, like Sonoma and Lavecchias, as it would be hard for them to half-ass things that way. the ones offering only 2 or 3 entree options raised a red flag for me.

my gf and i tried Sonoma and enjoyed it (even though an old wealthy woman in the waiting room seemed utterly disgusted that some young averagely-dressed couple was being seated before her. she kept staring at my shoes which i found very amusing.)

Edited by nonillogical

I went to the BLT Steakhouse at the Ritz last night as a part of Restaurant Week. Figured it was a good time to check out a place that would other wise be overly expensive. I thought the ambiance was very cool. Outside the restaurant they have a nice lounge area with bartenders and fireplaces. Very cozy. Inside the restaurant, it was a little smaller than I was expecting, but still had a warm feeling. The food however was a little underwhelming. I had the skirt steak, which I thought was rather rough and a little dry (had it served medium). My wife had the lamb, which was definitely better but not off the charts. The sides they had though were awesome. The jalapeño mashed potatoes and Gnocchi were excellent. The deserts were actually pretty good also. We had the cheese cake and chocolate molten lava cake. Overall, I probably give it 3 out of 5 stars. The entree to me just wasn't as good as I was expecting. Though, I have found sometimes you'll get short changed at some restaurants during Restaurant Week. I would be interested in having one of their regular menu steaks to give it another try. Otherwise, in my opinion they don't hold a handle to the best steak restaurants in Charlotte (for me those are Del Frisco's and Sullivan's).

That's a shame. I agree with ATL and you in that Restaurant Week is sometimes a bad time to form a first impression. BLT is above my paygrade for everyday dining as well, but when you feel like you can swing it, it's well worth it. I also like Del Frisco's and Ruth's Chris a lot, but don't care to go during Restaurant Week.

As an alternative to Restaurant Week, I like to hit different places that have cocktail menus. McCormick and Schmick sort of pioneered this I guess. But Aria has a great $5 menu at the bar. BLT also happens to have one. I think they might work some kinks out, but I generally spend a lot less and have more fun with bar menus.

That's a shame. I agree with ATL and you in that Restaurant Week is sometimes a bad time to form a first impression. BLT is above my paygrade for everyday dining as well, but when you feel like you can swing it, it's well worth it. I also like Del Frisco's and Ruth's Chris a lot, but don't care to go during Restaurant Week.

As an alternative to Restaurant Week, I like to hit different places that have cocktail menus. McCormick and Schmick sort of pioneered this I guess. But Aria has a great $5 menu at the bar. BLT also happens to have one. I think they might work some kinks out, but I generally spend a lot less and have more fun with bar menus.

What was ironic about Restaurant Week, is that we decided to go to Sullivan's on Sunday night on a whim. And I'll tell you we had a far better experience with their meal. Steak was cooked perfectly (both medium)... Sides were actually included (they gave us two, where at BLT you had to buy the sides). It definitely didn't deviate from their normal quality. Hopefully, BLT does a better job with their full service menu.

Agreed on the bar menus. Those are a great way to enjoy the fine dining type places without spending a lot of money...

• 2 weeks later...

I stopped by Athenian Corner today on Kings by Elizabeth for lunch. It's only been open a couple weeks as far as I know, but it seems to have already become a popular spot. The place was fairly busy at 2:00 when I got lunch today - 8 or so people in line waiting for food. Luckily, turnover for orders is quick - no more than 7-8 minutes as I experienced today.

I got a Gyro for takeout, and it was awesome! I requested the spicy Tzaziki and it was quite spicy, but honestly perfect for me. The fries which accompanied it were also quite tasty...and I can't explain why they were so good, but they were. Maybe it was a seasoning or a special oil they were fried in...I don't know, but I loved them.

For some reason, I have a feeling about this place. I am sure it will do well. It has the feel of a busy Mediterranean spot in NYC. I wish there was a somewhat gritty take-out Greek place in SouthEnd like this spot (Greek Isles is wonderful, but doesn't qualify for a quick Greek take-out fix). I would see a Mediterranean joint like this doing very well in SouthEnd too.