Best places to eat in Arkansas

Mith242

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, but have you guys eaten at Bourbon Boys or Alligator Ray's? I've had a few things at both, and both have pretty good food.

Yeah I've eaten at both. Granted Alligator Ray's was a pretty long time ago. Bourbon Boys was pretty good, although I admit the first time I went there I was a bit disappointed because it quite wasn't what I was thinking of. But after I got over that, I reliazed it was pretty nice. I also like eating at some of these local places. I can't remember where exactly they were originally from, but the 'bourbon boys' I believe were originally from Mississippi or Lousiana and moved here to open a restaurant because they liked the area.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never ate there, are they seafood themed restaurants?

I guess the best way to describe Bourbon Boys is they kind of have a southern focus, but they have a lot of things.

Alligator Ray's has a seafood focus. I think every Monday they have 25

Yeah I haven't been to Guido's but I have heard good things about them. There's been a number of restaurants leaving the Dickson area and moving elsewhere. Not sure if rent is becoming steeper in that area or people aren't renewing some leases to open up the possibility of future development. And I'm not sure if Powerhouse has been mentioned or not. But they are one of the more well known seafood places around Fayetteville.

How many seafood restaurants do you guys have in Fayetteville besides Red Lobster?

We up in Benton County have absolutely none, unless you count Catfish John's, but it's not a true seafood restaurant so it wouldn't count.

How many seafood restaurants do you guys have in Fayetteville besides Red Lobster?

We up in Benton County have absolutely none, unless you count Catfish John's, but it's not a true seafood restaurant so it wouldn't count.

I don't know if I know all of the restaurants we have in general. Which reminds me someone was talking about cajun places and I happened to see one near the square on Block St I didn't know existed. I think quite a few places might have seafood but I don't know how many specialize and foucs just on it. I do know of Mermaid's a little off College Ave near the Malco Razorback Theater.

Speaking of restaurants reminded me of this topic. By the way Matt, I'm still asking around but I've had a few people say pretty good things about Shanghai over on College here. I'll keep asking around. Anyhting in particular that you're wanting in an Asian restaurant?

Speaking of restaurants reminded me of this topic. By the way Matt, I'm still asking around but I've had a few people say pretty good things about Shanghai over on College here. I'll keep asking around. Anyhting in particular that you're wanting in an Asian restaurant?

Stirfry and eggnoodle combos are about my favorite. Egg-Drop soup is another good one.

Thanks for the info. That's another restaurant I'll have to try, along with La Huerta and may'be Arsaga's.

There's plenty of large shopping centers being planned in Rogers. Pinnacle Promenade is over 1 Million Square Feet and already has recieved interest from PF Changs, Flemings Steakhouse, and Sharper Image.

Pleasant Crossing is a 1.2 Million Square foot shopping center, as well as 3 other large upscale developments in the area. Tuscany Square, Pleasant Crossing West, and Centre Pointe. I think that both areas have a good potential to attract one, especially with some of demographics. I think the average annual income within 5 miles of the Pinnacle Promenade is around $72,000 or higher.

Still, these places won't be regional destinations. I can't imagine them passing over Memphis, OKC, Little Rock, and Tulsa first. They have built in a couple of smaller places, like Naples, but they are very affluent touristy locations.

Still, these places won't be regional destinations. I can't imagine them passing over Memphis, OKC, Little Rock, and Tulsa first. They have built in a couple of smaller places, like Naples, but they are very affluent touristy locations.

I'm saying there's a good possibility. NW Arkansas has a lot of potential and the need for upscale restaurants is dire. We have so many out of state businessmen, not to say some of those other cities don't. Cheescake Factory could be doing a major expansion for all we know. There's always a possibility.

The entire street of Pleasant Grove is being transformed into upscale shopping, restaurants, and entertainment.

Malco is planning a 14-screen Movie Theatre. IMAX is planning on opening a theatre there as well. Saks is progressing with Construction on it's Parisian Store. Starbucks is opening a location along the road. Sportsman's Wearhouse is under construction. The list goes on as you can see, there's a chance, plus Pleasant Grove Road is right in the middle of NW Arkansas, so it would be centrally located.

Ok since I opened the floodgates of what i have to say-which is alot and very opinionated. I will freely admit that I am always right, so Ill tell you the best places to eat in Little Rock. Since the prolific NWA posters have this thread this dominated as well, I will try at least too create a little food envy, and catch up on the lost time in this thread.

In terms of National Chains we have a bunch-clearly not all we could or should, but this market might be percieved ( there is that perception thing again) as too small and unsophisticated for the likes of Cheesescake Factory ( by far the best chain food out there!- from junk food to sophisticated bistro fare). Their basic assumption is that they are a hip urban restaurant and that is their customer base. However there is a location in Des Moines IA...so give me a break! PF Changs strategy however is to have locations in the largest urban centers in all of the States , and i personally love the place. Its updated, tasty, and consistently good asian food . We have all the other typical chains that are ubiquitous to most cities, Macaroni Grill, Border Grill, Chili's, Friday's, Johnny Carrino's, etc. They are all fine but blindfold me and drop me off in one and i could be here in Little Rock or in Los Angeles.

Little Rocks average fare is dominated by BBQ and Catfish- but thats been covered before so ill omit.

With all that said some notable establishments, in my not so humble opinion here in Little Rock are:

Buffalo Grill- great burgers, salads, sandwiches,and more

The Faded Rose- Creole inspired, great food! try the blackened red snapper ! the soaked salad a must

Vermillion Italian Bistro- best Italian in upscale atmosphere

Vermillion Water Grill-in the River market - hip urban seafood -the calamari is unbelievable

The Oyster Bar-Hillcrest - oyster po'boys, fried stuff abounds, monday all you can eat red beans and rice

Purple Cow- sure it the kids first choice but really good food, and those purple milkshakes,,,,mmmmm

Casa Manana-authentico mexicano- chicken mole es muy bueno

Cafe Bosa Nova- brazilian food in cool contemporary atmosphere

Jasmines- a PF Changs knockoff -just as good and locally owned

Gaucho Grill- Arkansas take on the Brazilian churrascaria- side orders include grits!

Does Eat Place- mentioned on this thread i think -steak and tamales, served family style

The Flying Fish- River market district- similar to The oyster bar food solid food bucket of beer and crawfish in season

Damgoode Pizza- the best pizza in central arkansas with choices of awesome crust. The stuffie is deep dish style with a crust -try the pesto shrimp mmmmm

Arkansas Burger- Greek inspired menu options- the greek burger is awesome- best onion rings ever

Mt Fuji- the benchmark of Japanese and sushi in the region

Loca Luna- good solid -but a bit stagnent- bistro food ( although i read recently due to be revamped) the tortila soup outstanding on a cold winter night

Lilly's Dim Sum- Asian dumplings and noodles- only decent Pad Thai for miles

Star of India- the only Indian establishment in the state- or so i'm told- and luckily an exceptional one- i have much experience eating Indian food andi have to says its just amazing-

Boulevard Bread- i could write alot about this awesome bakery/gourmet food shop. Unbelievable bread and baked goods, cheese and deli items impossible to find anywhere else. Nightly dinners offered for takeout or you can eat in- tonights special from the daily email i receive:

Green Chile and Grilled Chicken Breast Stew with Basmati Rice, Roasted Summer Squash, Fried Tortilla Strips, Cilantro Lime and Jack Cheese (Heart Healthy Meal Made with Boneless and Skinless Chicken Breast)

-or-

Chicken Braised in Red Wine and Applewood Smoked Bacon with Delicata Squash-Potato Puree, Armstead Farms Cooked Greens, Roasted Turnips and Carrots

The Rivermarket Market Hall- reminiscent of many redevelopment projects nationwide all of which emulate Boston's Faneuil Hall. Many vendors including great pizza, smokes meats, organic salad bar, middle eastern food, and more.

I could go on but these represent only some of the best Little Rock has to offer- and most importantly to me a true representation of the urban culture thsat has evolved here in little Rock.The only thing we are lacking are a bit more ethnic choices. My wife says when she was growing up here- and well into the 1980's- there were only a handful of place to eat that were not mediocre- Steak and Ale for years was the most popular place in town.

Star of India- the only Indian establishment in the state- or so i'm told- and luckily an exceptional one- i have much experience eating Indian food andi have to says its just amazing-

Nice post nandle, I had no idea Little Rock had that many great establishments.

Although, there is a restaurant called Star of India located in Bentonville that serves Indian food, so I guess there are only two Indian establishments in the state.

Good info nandle. I had a feeling there had to be some good places around Little Rock. I do know Fayetteville doesn't have an Indian restaurant anymore. I guess the only other areas likely to have anything like that would probably be Hot Springs or Ft Smith perhaps. But yes it's somehting you don't see much of in Arkansas. Also good to hear about so many local places. Both Fayetteville and Rogers have good places to eat, but one advantage Fayetteville has is more local places. While Rogers has to rely more on chains, at least for now.

I'm pretty sure that Matt already mentioned this but it looks like it's definant, Carraba's Italian Grill is going to Rogers. It will be somewhere in the Pinnacle Hills area. It will be the first to open in Arkansas. The Blu Lounge is open in Fayetteville. It's in the Fayetteville Mercantile Building on West St. Kosmos will be opening soon, it will be going into the former Asahi place on Dickson. It will specialize in fast food Greek style. Boi de Ouro is also now open in Fayetteville and now we finally have some Brazillian food here. It's open in the other big restaurant area of town south of the mall area.

I'm pretty sure that Matt already mentioned this but it looks like it's definant, Carraba's Italian Grill is going to Rogers. It will be somewhere in the Pinnacle Hills area. It will be the first to open in Arkansas. The Blu Lounge is open in Fayetteville. It's in the Fayetteville Mercantile Building on West St. Kosmos will be opening soon, it will be going into the former Asahi place on Dickson. It will specialize in fast food Greek style. Boi de Ouro is also now open in Fayetteville and now we finally have some Brazillian food here. It's open in the other big restaurant area of town south of the mall area.

Yeah it got buried in all the other posts. :cry:

It's supposed to go in the Shopps at Pinnacle Hills, where it's seems a new steel building is constructed each day. They are also putting a Fuddruckers near it, and the Marketplace Express is open in that area. There was talk of a Bonefish Grill around it, but I think they are holding off for the Promenade.

Yeah it got buried in all the other posts. :cry:

It's supposed to go in the Shopps at Pinnacle Hills, where it's seems a new steel building is constructed each day. They are also putting a Fuddruckers near it, and the Marketplace Express is open in that area. There was talk of a Bonefish Grill around it, but I think they are holding off for the Promenade.

It looks like you're beginning to pick up most of our chain restaurants that we have picked up here in Fayetteville. Although I hope eventually you guys can do a little more of what we have in local places here. Although it might be hard for a while competing with all these new chains opening all over the place.

It looks like you're beginning to pick up most of our chain restaurants that we have picked up here in Fayetteville. Although I hope eventually you guys can do a little more of what we have in local places here. Although it might be hard for a while competing with all these new chains opening all over the place.

We are getting a lot more local places, it's just they seem to stay on the east side of town in the downtown area and such. Bentonville also has a majority of the non chain restaurants, so I am glad that they are building chain restaurants here.

A few local or non chain restaurants that are suppposed to open in Bentonville soon:

Bubba Kool's Chili Zone

Gusano's Chicago Style Pizzeria

House of Brews (coffee Shop)

The Bristol

The Ice House

The Sanctuary

Whole Hog Cafe

Zaxby's Restaurant

As you can see, Bentonville is getting the local non-chain restaurants over Rogers. I hope Bentonville continues to also, it just seems to fit better with them, while chain restaurants work better here in Rogers.

We are getting a lot more local places, it's just they seem to stay on the east side of town in the downtown area and such. Bentonville also has a majority of the non chain restaurants, so I am glad that they are building chain restaurants here.

A few local or non chain restaurants that are suppposed to open in Bentonville soon:

Bubba Kool's Chili Zone

Gusano's Chicago Style Pizzeria

House of Brews (coffee Shop)

The Bristol

The Ice House

The Sanctuary

Whole Hog Cafe

Zaxby's Restaurant

As you can see, Bentonville is getting the local non-chain restaurants over Rogers. I hope Bentonville continues to also, it just seems to fit better with them, while chain restaurants work better here in Rogers.

That's good to see. By the way I'll have some pics of some restaurants I've mentioned a little later.

I saw the pics of restaurants in Fayetteville that you posted.

I didn't know Fayetteville was so diverse in it's restaurants. I saw a California Sushi Grill, Greek Grill or something like that, and a few others that suprised me.

Yeah I'm going to try to post some of the pics over here too. I think I had one or two that weren't on Dickson so I didn't post them with the rest. By the way I heard the sushi at The Rice Village. There was a pic of that place, it's on Dickson. Shogun is also supposed to have good sushi. Didn't they put a shogun up there somewhere in Benton County also?

Yeah I'm going to try to post some of the pics over here too. I think I had one or two that weren't on Dickson so I didn't post them with the rest. By the way I heard the sushi at The Rice Village. There was a pic of that place, it's on Dickson. Shogun is also supposed to have good sushi. Didn't they put a shogun up there somewhere in Benton County also?

They have 2 Shogun's in Benton County. The first is an express kind of deal off 8th Street in Bentonville, and the other is off Walton Boulevard in Bentonville, which is a real Shogun.

I have ate at the Rice Village. Their Sushi is pretty good kind of like Shogun's.

They have 2 Shogun's in Benton County. The first is an express kind of deal off 8th Street in Bentonville, and the other is off Walton Boulevard in Bentonville, which is a real Shogun.

I have ate at the Rice Village. Their Sushi is pretty good kind of like Shogun's.

I didn't know there was more than one in Bentonville. I got the impression the one is pretty nice looking. They're supposed to be moving ours into a nicer stand alone building, but nothing seems to happen. I don't think it's as nice as it could be with it being in that particular shopping center here in Fayetteville.

I didn't know there was more than one in Bentonville. I got the impression the one is pretty nice looking. They're supposed to be moving ours into a nicer stand alone building, but nothing seems to happen. I don't think it's as nice as it could be with it being in that particular shopping center here in Fayetteville.

The second one is in a strip-mall kind of deal with Starbucks, and a Mexican Grill kind of deal also.

The stand alone one is pretty good and is right next to Brio Brazil.

Okay I want to post some pics of restaurants that have been mentioned on here. All the ones I have pics of are around the Dickson St area. This first one is a bit hard to see but it's Jose's. Bordino's shared this building until it got it's own building not long ago.

img29412eg.jpg

I haven't mentioned it before but here's a pic of a Mediterranean place and to the right of it is a Thai place, but I didn't get it in the shot very well. You can see it better in the second shot.

img30355wm.jpg

img30387tb.jpg

Here's a little area behind Hoghaus Brewery. Bourbon Brothers on the left and Uno's on the right. The second shot is Bourbon Brothers from the side on West St.

img30411rd.jpg

img30510dm.jpg

Here's Alligator Ray's. It's on West St just a bit down from Bourbon Brothers.

img30495ks.jpg

Not real easy to see but here's the location of the new Blu Lounge. It's a little further away from Dickson down West St.

img30459gj.jpg

img30470fd.jpg

Here's where Kosmos Greekafe will be going. For a long time this was the location of Asahi. But unfortunately for Matt she retired so there's one less Asian restaurant for him to try.

img30609fx.jpg

Here's Rice Village and Jimmy John's. Rice Village is obviously an Asian resturant. I'm not sure if Jimmy John's is local or a chain. There's a number of them around Fayetteville. They have subs and sandwiches.

img30611uf.jpg

Here's the location of Qdoba. It occupies the bottom part of this building.

img30599jv.jpg

Not easy to see but here's Powerhouse. It's a pretty good seafood place. It's a bit off Dickson behind Qdoba. You can see it used to be an old power substation.

img30642xn.jpg

Here's Bordino's, one of our nicest Italian restaurants. It's supposed to have the most extensive wine list in the state.

img27669qg.jpg

I think that's all I have for now.

Archived