Belle Meade Village (nine buildings of 12, 11, 10, 8, 2, and 1 stories, 388 residential units, 78 room hotel, 80,000 sq. ft. of retail, underground garages, and creekside park)

markhollin

Perhaps they ought to tear down the little office buildings across Harding Rd from Belle Meade Plaza and put the Kroger there. Then the folks in the new development and in the apartments behind could just walk to Kroger.

Parking I think there would be a lot easier too.

Edited by bnacincy
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, samsonh said:

Agreed. For older residents in this area this could be a good option to stay close to an area they are familiar with, but downsizing from a home/yard. Combined with potential redevelopment by HG Hill up the street and the proposed development further up White Bridge and you have the makings of a real walkable neighborhood.

The Geriatric set would support this development if they brought back the Belle Meade Cafeteria🥴.  

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, bnacincy said:

Perhaps they ought to tear down the little office buildings across Harding Rd from Belle Meade Plaza and put the Kroger there. Then the folks in the new development and in the apartments behind could just walk to Kroger.

Parking I think there would be a lot easier too.

I spoke with a couple of older residents at the Starbucks this morning, apparently Kroger has a new location they missed the community meeting but heard from others.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, chc3 said:

With all of our superb local roasters, why do people even in upscale areas still patronize that insipid corporate brand with burnt coffee and pre-made additives?

I should have increased the sarcasm level; however, I made sure to tread lightly as not to offend.

Edited by tragenvol

7 hours ago, DMilner said:

I take a left from Post every time I go to TJs because of the light. Never understood why folks sit at the shopping center entrance and try to turn left; it takes forever. 

Yeah, I have seen too many nasty accidents from people trying to turn left from the TJ entrance. I usually use the Target entrance for the same reason, even if turning right. Once, I was trying to turn right from the TJ entrance and ended up in a very complicated U-turn shuffle as all cars had to turn around because the exit was blocked by a crash.

I'm glad that the Belle Meade plan removes one point of entry from Harding (albeit one that was decently safe to begin with since it was one-way). There are just way too many entrances/exits to all of the strip malls in the area.

Anyway, returning to the topic at hand, the discourse on Facebook in response to local news coverage of this plan is predictably 95% about traffic at White Bridge and Harding. Would probably be wise for the developers to have some hard numbers ready about projected net traffic effect for the community meetings. I still vote for the through lanes on Harding Pike to go underneath the intersection to keep traffic moving during rush hour. Which isn't caused by development at this intersection but by the car-dependent sprawl of Belle Meade and the paucity of alternate east-west roads thanks to the positioning of the golf courses and breakdown of the street grid west of Richland Creek...

• Like 3

If I were the developer, I'd consider putting together a version of what he could do to the site, sticking entirely to what is allowed, what  would need no special permissions/exceptions, as comparison. I'd surely make it unflattering to a degree, a sort of "here is your other option".  

Edited by Nash_12South
  • Like 1

I can just see anyone, no matter how educated/competent regarding traffic numbers, being dismissed as biased. Again, I'd do some plans/elevations of what they could build (I'm thinking Haven at the Gulch), with no meetings needed to build it, and see how it flies.  They could do what I've seen in 12 South, simply wait them out. Let leases expire, let the current plaza become a wasteland and keep presenting variations of the current plan. Maybe lop of a floor or two from the buildings and fill up the site more with buildings to compensate.  The current plan is really good, I hope it happens.

Edited by Nash_12South
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, go_outside said:

Will this project impede TDOT's future ability to build a giant flyover at the White Bridge /Harding intersection?

• No one seemed to know what the questioner was talking about.

From TDOT https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/tdot/congestion-studies/TDOT_CAPCompilation_MiddleTNAppendix_2022_08.pdf

ImageImage

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, andywildman said:

You’re correct; this is what the woman was referencing with her question. But it seemed like no one else understood her reference.

Councilmember Murphy thought she was referencing a ramp from Publix to White Bridge.

I did not mind the confusion; I would be happy if everyone indefinitely forgot about that awful flyover plan. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 4

15 hours ago, andywildman said:

Was this a recent plan? It was referencing the rebuild of I 440 which has already been done. So, I am thinking this is an old plan.

On a similar note, the Gov and TDOT are expected to have a new spending plan announced this week, I think. Let's see how much of this is in there.