Woven - West Greenville Village

vicupstate

Just got back to Cola from Greenville, where I was visiting my daughter. I asked if she was in the mood for some carbs, and she said "yes". We had a late lunch at Coastal Crust, which we had visited before. I think their pizza is delicious. Our other go to pizza spot is Sidewall, near the new government complex, but I believe they are closed on Sunday. Anyway, the West Village is really cute. We then walked a block over to Poe West (I think its called), and had a beer at Bauernhaus. We looked at each other, thinking, this place must be closed. It was 2:30 on a Sunday afternoon, and there was only one car in the parking lot. Went in, had a beer, which was ok. Greenville is doing great things. I think the areas that aren't walkable from Main Street, such as this, will have a harder time.  It's a small area, but has character. Please work on Dunean next. My daughter is going off to college next year, and won't live there much longer, but its close proximity to the West End, Main St, and West Village should make it prime for gentrification. Right now, it is on par with Olympia in Cola (same sort of sketchy, but could be cool, old mill village). BTW, on my way back to 385, I saw Indigo or maybe it was spelled Indaco, on Main. Good food?  

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

That tenant was mentioned as this project was going thru approvals.  The site has seen a lot of activity lately including tree removal and house moving equipment is now present. Glad to see this one moving forward.   

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, GVLprogrowth said:

76 Market Rate Apartments proposed for House of Prayer Strip Center. (Two Stories) Heading to DRB 

Wow. What a tremendous under utilization of the site. Is the church doing this or are they selling to a developer?

On 4/15/2024 at 8:25 AM, GVLprogrowth said:

76 Market Rate Apartments proposed for House of Prayer Strip Center. (Two Stories) Heading to DRB 

The more that I look at the site plan, I do appreciate the fact that they're addressing both streets. Is this the new development code at work?

Clearly parking is the limiting factor, and they don't currently have the appetite (budget) for structuring the parking at this site. 

11 minutes ago, GvilleSC said:

The more that I look at the site plan, I do appreciate the fact that they're addressing both streets. Is this the new development code at work?

Clearly parking is the limiting factor, and they don't currently have the appetite (budget) for structuring the parking at this site. 

I imagine there is some of that. It's zoned MX-2. What I don't understand is how they are expecting these units to go for market rate.. I wish they had factored in affordable housing in order to get the height bonus (up to 4 stories) then added a ground floor mixed component.  Honestly, I am just at a base level against any development west of Academy on Pendleton not including a workforce/affordable component. Hopefully there is community pushback against this.

Edited by NewlyUpstate
  • Like 3

Agreed. Ground floor mixed adds more energy to the area and adds value for the developer in the long-term. 

I didn't understand workforce housing issue until I talked to someone recently who said it's not worth driving 30 minutes to downtown (one way) to work at a restaurant. Soon, if it's not an issue already, downtown service providers (restaurants, bars, retail, etc.)  will not have a talented and committed workforce. They will likely then need to substantially raise compensation and pass costs to consumers in the downtown area. 

• Like 3