Shades Urban Hospitality - 24 Stories, 277', 237 Hotel Rooms, 2,250 sq ft. Restaurant Space, 148 Parking Spaces. 701 8th Ave S.

downtownresident

Some observations:

- Intriguing that even though this appears like a box base, none of the corners are 90 degree angles. 

- The facade of the parking pedestal somewhat echos the style of the Voorhees Building across 8th Ave. to the east in the Paseo South Gulch development.

- I wonder if the strange beacon at the top of the NE corner will be brightly lit from within and changing numerous color patterns?

- Not sure if I like the patchwork of so many exterior elements---but at least it's not a blue glass box. If its unknown neighbor directly to the south gets developed to its 28 story zoned maximum, and the 15 story Modera Gulch hugging it on the west, then it will be a bit overshadowed anyway. 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I am pretty sure this project in its current form did not make it through the DTC design review committee today. Too many flaws with project as you can see in the pdf below.

https://www.nashville.gov/sites/default/files/2021-09/DTC-02-701-8th-Ave-S-210902.pdf?ct=1630521088

They didn’t even seek bonus height, so there has to be some amateurs doing this project as I had said earlier, plus the design flaws that were noted by planning.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:

Honestly, I am okay with the reasoning here. It is essentially punishing an unlined parking garage and crappy material selection. This doesn't necessarily mean the is dead, but means they will need to either cut one story off and utilize every bonus height option available or go back to the drawing board and come up with a more exceptional design and apply for a building height modification (rather than a frontage modification)

Agree 100% Craig. I was not blown over by the design. I thought it was interesting the architect did not put their name on it.  I still think it was done in house  by the folks that own the property on a store bought architectural program which I am sure you can purchase online.

Thoughts????

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...