Pearl District - Atrium/Wake Forest School of Medicine

Desert Power

4 hours ago, carolinaboy said:

Sneaky move by Wake Forest to up and move to Charlotte. I guess Charlotte will now have that major prestigious university they've lacked (no disrespect intended to UNC Charlotte). If the Demon Deacons schedule a home football game or two in the Panther's stadium we'll know the "move" is legit. :)

Maybe they planned all along to move to Charlotte but it was just too far to do at once, so the relocation to Winston-Salem in 1956 was just a pitstop on the way to Charlotte.  :) Imagine if they never left the eponymous town north of Raleigh; there would be four prestigious universities in the RDU area within about 37 miles of one another.

Seriously, though, they surely have no intention of leaving Winston-Salem, do they?  It's not unusual for universities to have major satellite campuses in other cities.  Johnson and Wales is another example.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, JacksonH said:

Seriously, though, they surely have no intention of leaving Winston-Salem, do they?  It's not unusual for universities to have major satellite campuses in other cities.  Johnson and Wales is another example.

Nope. All the medical school activities currently in Winston are planned to keep going there. I can't speak to the professional school stuff that just popped up yesterday.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, MarcoPolo said:

There are three development efforts substantially underway now that will be transformational to the Queen City's urban fabric and economic profile for decades to come.   This is one of them.   Very exciting!

The Atrium-Wake Forest Medical School is one - What are the other two you're referring too?

1 hour ago, Owenorange said:

It will never happen but a street car extension off of gold line down McDowell, to Kenilworth to Park would be fantastic. But lack of dedicated ROW, stuck in traffic,  grumble, grumble.

29F608D4-E693-453B-93B0-DEB55AB97177.jpeg

If you give these roads a road diet, you could easily have a Gold Line spur that has its own ROW. Might be an important proposal for this area, especially with all the development that’s happening in Midtown, Dilworth, and the Park Road area. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, HopHead said:

Some more details on this development... And this is BIG! 1.3M sqft of development as a part of the medical school. Including 1,000 apartments and 600 hotel rooms are what's in scope for the petition filed today.

Somebody put 1.3 million square feet in perspective for me., give me a reference to compare it to.

14 minutes ago, HopHead said:

Some more details on this development... And this is BIG! 1.3M sqft of development as a part of the medical school. Including 1,000 apartments and 600 hotel rooms are what's in scope for the petition filed today.

If it is a professional campus, the hotels will be very important. Great to have a nice hotel for patients too. And visiting professors. 

1 minute ago, carolinaboy said:

Somebody put 1.3 million square feet in perspective for me., give me a reference to compare it to.

Google's offices in Manhattan are 1.3 give or take.  

• Like 1

Should be a nice relatively self-contained campus. There will be plenty of apartments on and off campus for the students and lower level employees within walking distance, a hotel for visitors, and luxury homes nearby in Myers Park, Dilworth, Eastover, et. for the academic staff to buy with their $250K+ salaries. 

An additional bridge would be welcome over Kenilworth and Little Sugar Creek connecting Pearl Street Park to Midtown. That way students / faculty could walk to Trader Joe's and restaurants in Midtown safely and have a more direct walk to the stores.

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, carolinaboy said:

Semi OT: Could this development cause UNC Charlotte to expand their uptown campus/presence?

I think they certainly can be impacted by it. This fills a void in much of which UNCC is doing, and it might lead to different programs to move closer. If this what the turning point in establishing a mini UNCC campus in Levineland, that would be fantastic. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, carolinaboy said:

Semi OT: Could this development cause UNC Charlotte to expand their uptown campus/presence?

Supposedly the Business School has had a second Uptown building (adjacent to the first) all teed up for a while. Not sure why the trigger wasn’t pulled on that before Phil departed since evening class space is tight in the existing building.

There is a problem of what programming to offer in the Uptown campus. You can’t easily split programs between the main campus and uptown because the travel time is too great for students to move between classes. This basically prevents any undergraduate education from being offered there (since students need to go to various gen ed classes). Other than the business school I can’t really see any other current programs working Uptown. Would be a different story if there were more professional masters / law programs. The Wake Med campus might present a good opportunity for UNCC to develop dental and pharmacy programs?