Pearl District - Atrium/Wake Forest School of Medicine

Desert Power

14 hours ago, KJHburg said:

WF School of Medicine was founded in 1902 and has been around over 100 years.  This is not a young start up like the C SofL and to mention that in the same breath as Wake Forest is crazy.  That would be like me saying Duke is one step above Wake Tech.  And I don't think Charlotte is checking it off either as everyone has called it transformative.  The innovation district will built over years.  In terms of Winston Salem itself I don't believe for one minute they will close their Med school campus there as you hinted.  That is where their main campus will be this is just a  2nd campus.  Medical schools are extremely expensive to build and operate and that is why there is 4 currently operating in the state.  

https://school.wakehealth.edu/About-the-School/History

I didn’t mean that as flippant as it appeared, and the Charlotte School of Law quip was not apropos.  My apologies.  Still, Charlotte has struggled to open a Law School, much less a Medical School. 

My point was that simply opening a medical school, even if it is a branch of an existing medical school, is no guarantee of creating a “Silicon Valley of  Healthcare”.  Gene Woods comes off sounding like the P.T. Barnum of healthcare.

Wake Forest is a good school. My wife graduated from Law School there and we have a  good friend who graduated from their medical school. My impression is that they are arrogant and think that they are on par with Duke (they charged the same tuition as Duke) and UNC. They are not. Even the recently retired WFU president Nathan Hatch said as much. Maybe Elon University, but not Duke or UNC.

Wake Forest needs the money and they made a deal with the devil IMO (Gene Woods).  Maybe it will work out great with WFU and Atrium, but only time will tell.  Lots of egos involved with this deal. 

12 minutes ago, SlackJack said:

I didn’t mean that as flippant as it appeared, and the Charlotte School of Law quip was not apropos.  My apologies.  Still, Charlotte has struggled to open a Law School, much less a Medical School. 

My point was that simply opening a medical school, even if it is a branch of an existing medical school, is no guarantee of creating a “Silicon Valley of  Healthcare”.  Gene Woods comes off sounding like the P.T. Barnum of healthcare.

Wake Forest is a good school. My wife graduated from Law School there and we have a  good friend who graduated from their medical school. My impression is that they are arrogant and think that they are on par with Duke (they charged the same tuition as Duke) and UNC. They are not. Even the recently retired WFU president Nathan Hatch said as much. Maybe Elon University, but not Duke or UNC.

Wake Forest needs the money and they made a deal with the devil IMO (Gene Woods).  Maybe it will work out great with WFU and Atrium, but only time will tell.  Lots of egos involved with this deal. 

BTW – there are five (5) medical schools in North Carolina:  Duke , UNC-Chapel Hill, Wake Forest University, Brody School of Medicine (ECU) and Campbell University.

Guess which one is the newest and was the cheapest to create, and also has a very reputable Law School and Pharmacy School ?  Yep. Campbell. No egos involved. No BTM Barnum attitudes. 

• Confused 1

52 minutes ago, cltbwimob said:

Considering it’s ranked #28 in best National Universities in the 2022 USNWR-tied with Chapel Hill-and it has a Top 50 Law School and Top 50 Med School, I’d say you’re underselling it quite a bit.

That's not my intent.  But, Wake Forest is not a Tier-1 research university like Duke, UNC and NCSU, and therefore receives only a minimal amount of federal research funding, which is the lifeblood of medical and engineering  schools.  In terms of medical schools, US News ranks Duke # 3 in research and UNC # 3 in Primary Care and # 3 in Family Medicine.   Actually, Wake has a top 30 law school ( not a top 50 as you stated)  but that's the peak metric. Federally funded research is the key metric of any Tier-1 research  university, and only Duke, UNC-CH and NCSU  are Tier-1 universities in NC (Duke and NCSU get a ton of funding in engineering and quantum computing research).  WFU is a fine school but it's  not a Tier-1 school. Same goes for Campbell and ECU.  I think that Gene Woods will try to go after more federal research funding but the competition is fierce.  Again, lots of egos involved.  Charlotte will get a school, no doubt.  

11 hours ago, SlackJack said:

I think it was a vacuum of leadership at UNCC, an apathetic (to Charolotte) UNC Board of Governors at the state level and a General Assembly that has been actively anti-big-city for decades. Just imagine what Charlotte (and the "Great State of Mecklenburg") might have been had years of the General Assembly and UNC BOG not pulled a Diana Moon Glampers on both the city and the university?

Edited by davidclt
  • Like 1

https://ncsesdata.nsf.gov/profiles/site?method=rankingbysource&ds=herd

I think there's probably an opportunity in the next few decades as the anti-science/anti-government Republicans retire to start investing in state supported R&D again, as a percentage of GDP it's much lower than it was in the 60s. Hopefully we can capture more of a share of that.

As an aside, US News is a garbage magazine, it's weird that they have so much influence in how universities are run and what metrics they target.

Edited by joenc
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, davidclt said:

I think it was a vacuum of leadership at UNCC, an apathetic (to Charolotte) UNC Board of Governors at the state level and a General Assembly that has been actively anti-big-city for decades. Just imagine what Charlotte (and the "Great State of Mecklenburg") might have been had years of the General Assembly and UNC BOG not pulled a Diana Moon Glampers on both the city and the university?

It's extremely short sighted to suggest a vacuum of leadership at UNC Charlotte because it lacks two specific programs. The amount that campus has grown in just the past ten years, much less twenty years, is staggering. It has programs like computer sciences that have soared and are just as valuable as post-graduate programs. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

It's extremely short sighted to suggest a vacuum of leadership at UNC Charlotte because it lacks two specific programs.

I meant over the past 50 years, not the past 10. That said, there is no logical reason Charlotte shouldn't be on par with Chapel Hill or NCSU for prestige as a Tier 1 Research Institution. The missing Medical and Law schools are just a symptom of the bigger problem and the indifference shown to UNCC by the BOG. I'm not saying Charlotte is failing; I'm saying they were deprived of their full potential for at least the 25 years before Phil Dubois showed up. 

Edited by davidclt
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
11 minutes ago, RANYC said:

So confused.  This district is in Brooklyn?  Not Dilworth?  Is this within 277 loop or no?

Outside the loop and Pearl St Park was the first park for black citizens in Charlotte when parks were segregated.   I think this is an excellent name and better than Innovation District or Innovation Park or something more generic.  This is specifically a Charlotte name and the Pearl will be known in the future.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Outside the loop and Pearl St Park was the first park for black citizens in Charlotte when parks were segregated.   I think this is an excellent name and better than Innovation District or Innovation Park or something more generic.  This is specifically a Charlotte name and the Pearl will be known in the future.  

This should be a stunning setup with a large park space feeding into an activated mixed use and employment district.

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ertley said:

Margaret is the English translation of the Greek word for pearl.

Hmm.  I'm confused.  I would have guessed that the English translation of the Greek word for pearl is . . . pearl.  Or is Margaret a Greek word?  I'm not being sarcastic.  This stuff fascinates me.

https://www.etymonline.com/word/margarite?ref=etymonline_crossreference

Maragaret(he) is pearl from classic Latin from Greek. Perhaps Indo-European origin, Persian, per Oxford (OED)

https://www.etymonline.com/search?q=pearl

Pearls is from late Latin, Vulgar Latin (common people's language, in other words). Unknown origin before that time. 

• Like 3

Thanks atlrvr and tarhoosier.  This got me thinking:  The French and Spanish versions of the name Margaret is Marguerite and Margarita, respectively.  But marguerite and margarita, other than being a name, also mean daisy in those languages.  So I  looked up pearl and daisy in Greek and these two words are very similar in Greek.

Screenshot_20220310-121512_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220310-121453_Chrome.jpg

• Like 3

French etymologie suggests marguerite was original form and meant daisy. The example is given from ~1200 "Do not throw daisies before swine", known to us as "pearls before swine". Jesus meant do not waste your preaching on those who will not receive it. 

At some point Perle and Marguerite took separate meanings. Etymology is so fun.

https://www.cnrtl.fr/etymologie/marguerite

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

French etymologie suggests marguerite was original form and meant daisy. The example is given from ~1200 "Do not throw daisies before swine", known to us as "pearls before swine". Jesus meant do not waste your preaching on those who will not receive it. 
At some point Perle and Marguerite took separate meanings. Etymology is so fun.
https://www.cnrtl.fr/etymologie/marguerite

I see you’re really into all this lol. Thanks for sharing, I find it fascinating!
  • Like 1

On 3/3/2022 at 7:43 PM, JeanClt said:

In formerly the Brooklyn Neighborhood before it got bulldozed and 277 plopped on top of it. Never really was or is in Dilworth.

Yep. Baxter St and Pearl Park were considered Brooklyn. Pearl Park was Brooklyn's park and has ties to the now displaced community. It's one of the few pieces that is still intact.

• Like 2