Diamond Area / Hermitage Rd Corridor / Ownby District

whw53

@eandslee

However it goes down, it better build out much sooner than 10-15 years!

My guess is the stadium and some surrounding stuff will happen right away, but the full build out will drag on. We think waiting 18 months to get Costar started is a long wait, not sure what 15 years will look like. Think we better be happy with a ballpark and some sprinkles and then just look at the rest of the development like we do all the other projects here, one at a time.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hike said:

@eandslee

My guess is the stadium and some surrounding stuff will happen right away, but the full build out will drag on. We think waiting 18 months to get Costar started is a long wait, not sure what 15 years will look like. Think we better be happy with a ballpark and some sprinkles and then just look at the rest of the development like we do all the other projects here, one at a time.

Seems to me, though, that if economic conditions are such that the DD could move forward a lot sooner, then it should. The way the plan is now…the developer can’t secure the needed land for each phase until a certain date. Dumb!  That means most of the DD will sit vacant for much of the next 15 years!  Just stupid!

Edited by eandslee
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Hike said:

@eandslee

Yeah - I get the feeling Phases 2 and 3 may sit dormant for quite a while, unfortunately. Even Phase 1 - in the city's mind (and I guess most folks) the bit MUST have is the ballpark. No doubt some of the other stuff - residential buildings, at least one hotel and some office and retail space, will be worked into Phase 1. How grand it will be probably remains to be seen. The only good part about it being built out over time is that - at least in theory - RVA might grow enough that the market will drive Phases 2 and 3 to end up being a LOT more than is originally planned. Of course, we all know what the flip side is - and I won't even give any oxygen to that part.

Mind you - I also wont' really want to wait 10 to 15 years for this whole shebang to build out - I'm turning 60 in a week and I'm not loving the idea of having to wait 'til I'm in my 70s to see the entire development come together.

As for the CoStar tower - one bit of good news, @Hike-- we've only had to wait a little over nine months. It was announced last December - and if they break ground next month (if the Oct. 15th date of fencing is correct, that is), that would be in the 10th month. My God - if we had to wait 18 months for this building to break ground I honestly think I'd end up straight-jacketed making weird noises while sitting in a corner of a room in the nut house. :tw_tounge_xd:

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Hike said:

Oh yeah, that’s right, it felt like 18 months, but it’s only been 10. Feel the same way, I’d be 73 when the Diamond district is completed and by then, phase 1 will need to be renovated, the hotel chain will have been a Hilton and a Marriott, the ballpark was converted to 8 pickle ball courts, the retail spaces are all combined now as a spirit Halloween. 

We're about the same age, then. I'll be 75 when it's complete, if it takes a full 15 to build out. Ugh... 

I can't help but wonder just how long it'll take for this AND City Center to build out.  City Center is a smaller foot print, all in all, and no sports facilities. I'm excited to see what could come downtown especially because of the potential that there could be some good height baked in. I'm still holding out for a huge Hyatt Regency to anchor the development -- recall that one of the big components that the city is seriously jones-ing for is a "large, headquarters, convention hotel" - and I believe I recall seeing the word "national" or the term "national-level" bandied about regarding said hotel in the past.

Here's hoping.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Flood Zone said:

Ballpark villages (and this is one) take years to develop. Lord only knows the stuff around Nats Park was a pit for years. And that was a major league development with huge money behind it (albeit some delay was due to the recession).

Yep - this is true. How long has the area around Sun Trust Field in Atlanta been under construction? I can't remember a time watching a Braves game on TV where there wasn't at least one crane or some building skeleton in the backdrop as the area continues to be built out. And that's ATLANTA, where they don't exactly allow grass to grow underneath their tuchuses when it comes to development!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Brent114 said:

Here’s a drive-by update of Novel 

9A326597-8E00-48CF-BB7A-5C4CBE41347F.jpeg

Wow, @Brent114-- THANK YOU for taking & posting this!! 

Guys - are my eyes deceiving me - or is that another burgeoning TOWER CRANE taking shape? (Or are they just using a crawler crane?)

@Virginian11-- how far along is the Soda Flats construction? I've been looking for signs of life on the TV6 tower cam - but so far, that lot doesn't look like much is going on. What's the situation there?

• Like 2

On 10/18/2022 at 12:24 PM, Brent114 said:

Yeah.  Something, we’ll nothing, is going on at Soda Flats.  It has just been a hole in the ground for a month or two.   I’m worried about that one. 

It occurred to me - that the VIV Scott's Collection (on Clay Street where Sheppard T-bones into it) did something similar - it broke ground, the old buildings were cleared to the ground - then it sat idle for MONTHS before construction restarted. That project has wrapped up and has tenants - so maybe this (with the Soda Flats) is something similar and it'll restart soon. I recall from watching the Capital Square construction cams that the Clay Street project had that big pause in construction after ground was broken and the site was cleared down to dirt.

Here's hoping Soda Flats gets started again in the very near future!

• Like 1

Welllllllp... our friends at Thalhimer keep snapping up more land parcels in the vicinity of the Diamond District - this time they snag a spot just southeast of what will be the new district - at the intersection of Rhoadmiller Street and Hermitage Road. Idk whether to roll my eyes at this or be somewhat hopeful, given that TRP is involved with the development of the Novel Scott's Addition project. Maybe their default isn't always just WaWa's or car washes or Sheetz's or whatever... I just don't know.

Either way... here's the story from Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/11/03/thalhimer-snags-more-property-around-diamond-district/

Screenshot (2438).png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...