Diamond Area / Hermitage Rd Corridor / Ownby District

whw53

21 minutes ago, Downtowner said:

Does anyone have any idea or think we will hear more on the diamond district this month? 

That's a good question. Seems like there are a lot of balls still up in the air at this point on a LOT of things, what with it now being September. I'm hoping, for one, we see shovels start turning dirt on the CoStar site and that big boy -- FINALLY -- gets underway! It's going on 10 months now since the announcement. LET'S BREAK GROUND ALREADY AND GET THIS TOWER BUILT!  I THINK it was @upzoningisgoodwho said last week  (paraphrasing)- "nothing else matters until (RVA) lands the plane on CoStar construction." 100% agree with that. That's a LOT of jobs, both near-future and long-range, in play with the new CoStar HQ. There's a ton more to it than just a pretty new building on the downtown skyline. 

Either way - I agree, @Downtowner-- we need to see some movement as well on the Diamond District. The clock keeps ticking.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, eandslee said:

…then it’s in to City Center!  Gotta get that one underway too!

Very true. Somehow I don't see City Center getting a lot of priority until next year. That's always been second on the list behind Diamond District as far as the mayor and the city planning teams have gone. That's not going to change - and we're already into September.

• Like 1

Question: is anyone else just NOT feeling this? I mean - instead of going with an lineup of out-of-town heavy-hitters who presumably KNOW what they're doing with major redevelopments like these, the city -- OF COURSE -just HAD to select the one group with heavy presence of local yocals -- and particularly Thalhimer Realty. 

Idk - I just don't have a good feeling we are going to get anything north of "meh" ...

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, eandslee said:

I tend to agree with you on this.  I’m also not liking the 15 years they predict it will take to build-out.  The rough rendering also showed (in my opinion) the weakest design for a ballpark.  I’m sure I’ll be yawning when I see the real design. 

True - mind you, I think the city itself has been putting out there the 15-year timeframe - and in a larger context, unless the urban planning gods deign to shower blessings upon RVA with a MASSIVE amount of Urban Miracle Grow - it probably WILL take 15  years for the Diamond District to fully build out. The big thing is the ballpark - and it would not at all surprise me to see the ballpark get built and the rest of the Diamond District sit fallow for a few years. Here is where Greater Richmond Partnership is going to have to be pulled into the equation to AGGRESSIVELY grab businesses from other cities and bring them here. Job generation will be a huge factor - because for ANYTHING of decent substance to come out of Diamond District beyond the ballpark, there's going to have to be demand. The short list of other (mainly Southern) cities we argue about would have no problem getting this built - because the demand for it in those places -- OBVIOUSLY -- is there. RVA? Jury is still out on that one.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, I miss RVA said:

Question: is anyone else just NOT feeling this? I mean - instead of going with an lineup of out-of-town heavy-hitters who presumably KNOW what they're doing with major redevelopments like these, the city -- OF COURSE -just HAD to select the one group with heavy presence of local yocals -- and particularly Thalhimer Realty. 

Idk - I just don't have a good feeling we are going to get anything north of "meh" ...

Yeah man...I was really wishing Richmond Community was gonna receive the bid. I felt in my heart once this was pushed passed the deadline, (just my opinion) some on the city council gave more time for "their favorite" choice...Thalhimer and gang. Ughh

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, WyldKat99 said:

Yeah man...I was really wishing Richmond Community was gonna receive the bid. I felt in my heart once this was pushed passed the deadline, (just my opinion) some on the city council gave more time for "their favorite" choice...Thalhimer and gang. Ughh

Agreed. I don't want to say "the fix was in" - that's not fair to say without some kind of evidence supporting it - but one can't help but wonder if because of Thalhimer's involvement if this group wasn't the 'favored' group and it would take a LOT and I do mean a LOT to leap over them to get the bid.

I'd be curious to know the particulars of both groups' actual proposals that were used to make a final determination. Obviously what was previously published were only the very preliminary public-facing concepts.

• Like 1

I want to be excited about this one but it’s hard to be as there’s no real design of anything to gravitate to. I guess the ballpark will be in a hurry, wish I felt better about projects that are fast tracked. As for the other components, VCU sports facilities, non/low revenue bearing, low fan attendance sports, will be very basic structures IMO, money spread thinly. Then there’s the rest of the land for whoever they can lure here, don’t have my hopes up for moving the needle on design,  but it will be better than what’s there and modernize this older part of the city.

• Like 1

The Richmond Bizsense article mentions DLR Group designed the Greenville ballpark, but I wonder if the Omaha ballpark they did is a better comp. It’s a 9,000 capacity ballpark. That one is suburban, rather than in a city, but the photos in the gallery look fine to me. It’s not Populous or the other big league firm, but DLR has done some big projects, including college football stadiums.

The other company mentioned, JMI Sports, works at the intersection of new construction and marketing. They’d be onboard to market naming rights, among other things.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

Underwhelming plan. Why 11 acres devoted to park space? 

Agreed, Coupe - though I will say it's not QUITE as bad as I expected. But it could be a LOT better. At least there IS SOME measure of height and decent density. But I agree - very underwhelming. AND it's going to take 15 years to build this thing out on top of it. Holy wow...

No idea what the deal is with 11 acres of park space. Some might disagree - but I think that's a colossal waste of precious developable space. It looks like you could almost plunk a golf course down in the middle of the whole plan. Idk - maybe a smaller park footprint would work - but... whatever. This is apparently what we have to work with.

Edited by I miss RVA