Diamond Area / Hermitage Rd Corridor / Ownby District

whw53

8 minutes ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

I took these recently. This is the apartment and townhouse project that is being build around Hardywood on Overbrook. It’s seriously beefing up the density over there. 

B64FE882-4A2F-43BB-9AEF-5F799D23C6FE.jpeg

E076BF13-246A-4D49-9AAB-9F6E86FD58D9.jpeg

59BB57D0-3284-4A61-95DA-36535D29A3E7.jpeg

B065BD31-622D-4AAF-A24E-9C9FE44BF4BF.jpeg

F594172F-5890-467F-B089-7832C1CC4BC5.jpeg

3B620567-2AA2-475E-8452-FA87F381EF8B.jpeg

Great pix, Coupe! Thanks so much for taking & posting!

The 2nd and 6th (final) pix: those are the 2 x 2's (condos) yes?

Not sure what to make of losing Vision300.  Their drawings look pretty cool and modern...if built, might have been a cool development.  As for the other two...well, from what I can see, it's a toss-up!  At this point, we just need a final selection!  The team is a week late already on their selection and then City Council has to vote to support the selection.  Not even sure at this point if construction would even begin before the end of this CY.  They need to get things moving...light a fire under their butts!  C'mon, do your job and make the selection already!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eandslee said:

Not sure what to make of losing Vision300.  Their drawings look pretty cool and modern...if built, might have been a cool development.  As for the other two...well, from what I can see, it's a toss-up!  At this point, we just need a final selection!  The team is a week late already on their selection and then City Council has to vote to support the selection.  Not even sure at this point if construction would even begin before the end of this CY.  They need to get things moving...light a fire under their butts!  C'mon, do your job and make the selection already!

I think I like Richmond Community Development Partners the best, based on the overhead map.  I like the "main street" going down the middle.  RVA Diamond Partners has too much green space. We have parks, we need density.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, 123fakestreet said:

I think I like Richmond Community Development Partners the best, based on the overhead map.  I like the "main street" going down the middle.  RVA Diamond Partners has too much green space. We have parks, we need density.

I second that vote. RCDP has been my top choice from the get-go. Fully agreed on the need for density vs the over baking-in of green space. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

Does anyone have the project details to compare each one? A pretty picture is not a substitute for the details. 

My guess is that we won't see any kind of details until the final choice is made - and even then, I'm doubtful we'd see anything other than the winner's actual plan.

Vision3000 getting dropped is okay for three reasons: (1) I'm skeptical of its locally-based pitch, for this project in particular, which should require the best of a deep pool; (2) its drawings (and yes, they were only drawings) seemed the most blah of the three, as evidenced by the contemporaneous response here back in May or whenever; and (3) putting "3000" in their name just walks into a far-too-obvious joke, i.e., yeah this will take so long that it might not get done until the year 3000.

All in all, from what little we've actually seen, I favor Richmond Community Development Partners (although based on the poll cited in the Richmond Bizsense article, perhaps RVA Diamond is the favorite). 

Edit: Vision300 (not Vision3000)! I was reading it incorrectly the whole time. Well, I guess the 300 makes more sense for historical reasons.

Edited by Flood Zone
correct factual inaccuracy
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Flood Zone said:

I'm skeptical of its locally-based pitch, for this project in particular, which should require the best of a deep pool

Putting "3000" in their name just walks into a far-too-obvious joke, i.e., yeah this will take so long that it might not get done until the year 3000.

Well said, @Flood Zone:tw_thumbsup:  A couple of thoughts:

1.) Fully agreed. I've long argued against heavily stacking the deck with local developers. Nothing against our fine folks in the industry here, but for a project of THIS magnitude, I've held that fresh ideas and long track-records of success and with these kinds of redev projects can really best be harnessed from out-of-state developers who have ample experience pulling together something like the Diamond District at the "major league" (meaning cities, not just baseball) level.

2.) Even with the misread and inadvertent extra zero added, it harkens to a very relative point. At times one MUST wonder if it will, indeed, be nearly another millennium before we actually see the first shovel of dirt turned in the Diamond District - by which time there will easily be an entire baseball league on Mars, the moon and perhaps on a planet in Alpha Centauri. :tw_wink:

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

By sheer coincidence, someone on the RVA subreddit just today posted “AI-created “ images of downtown Richmond in, yes, the year 3000. If those images are anything to go by, we’ll get some real density (but things will look bleak).

Edit: Sorry, I chopped your whole quote, I Miss RVA, but I guess you’ll know what I’m quoting!

Edited by Flood Zone
I’m dumb
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, Flood Zone said:

By sheer coincidence, someone on the RVA subreddit just today posted “AI-created “ images of downtown Richmond in, yes, the year 3000. If those images are anything to go by, we’ll get some real density (but things will look bleak).

Edit: Sorry, I chopped your whole quote, I Miss RVA, but I guess you’ll know what I’m quoting!

Quote: yes - I knew! :tw_thumbsup::tw_wink:

Wow - I just checked it out. Interesting conceptualization of RVA-3000. Hmmm... AI-created? Interesting. My only issue is: why should it take us another 978 years to reach that level of density development? Couldn't we get there in, say, the next couple of decades? :tw_smile:

• Like 1

18 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

My only issue is: why should it take us another 978 years to reach that level of density development? Couldn't we get there in, say, the next couple of decades? :tw_smile:

We did, but then it was destroyed several times.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 123fakestreet said:

More from Brewers Row.  This is a full fledged neighborhood now, once the equipment and fences are down the streets will seem really walkable and inviting.  Whatever the building just south of Hardywood on Ownby is now for sale, that's going to have to be some residential.

Then the AH Harris site on the corner of Overbrook and Hermitage is going to have to turn as well, I could see some height going in there.  Right now this area is a bit of an island, but once the AH Harris site on the corner flips it will really help make this area feel more linked to the developments on Hermitage - Todd Lofts and Southern Stove Works, as well as the Diamond District that will be going in just north.

Glad to see this connection materializing.  The utilities need to be buried next (and everywhere possible in the City).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 123fakestreet said:

More from Brewers Row.  This is a full fledged neighborhood now, once the equipment and fences are down the streets will seem really walkable and inviting.  Whatever the building just south of Hardywood on Ownby is now for sale, that's going to have to be some residential.

Then the AH Harris site on the corner of Overbrook and Hermitage is going to have to turn as well, I could see some height going in there.  Right now this area is a bit of an island, but once the AH Harris site on the corner flips it will really help make this area feel more linked to the developments on Hermitage - Todd Lofts and Southern Stove Works, as well as the Diamond District that will be going in just north.

20220810_102331.jpg

20220810_102559.jpg

20220810_103008.jpg

Great photos! Thanks for taking them and posting!

Indeed - it still seem somewhat isolated - putting a new development on the corner on the AH Harris site will help a lot.  What's the building you're referencing south of Hardywood on Owenby? (The one for sale) - is that a site that could be completely re-developed with something high-density?

1 hour ago, I miss RVA said:

What's the building you're referencing south of Hardywood on Owenby? (The one for sale) - is that a site that could be completely re-developed with something high-density?

It's listed on Google maps as "Bible Broadcasting Network"  it's about 3/4 of the size of the Brewer's Outpost (smaller of the two currently under construction) but an awkward lot because Ownby curves there and cuts the corner off.  I could see an L shaped building going in the back corner of the lot that would be the same size as Brewer's Outpost, with the parking lot in the triangle left.

Edited by 123fakestreet
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, 123fakestreet said:

It's listed on Goggle maps as "Bible Broadcasting Network"  it's about 3/4 of the size of the Brewer's Outpost (smaller of the two currently under construction) but an awkward lot because Ownby curves there and cuts the corner off.  I could see an L shaped building going in the back corner of the lot that would be the same size as Brewer's Outpost, with the parking lot in the triangle left.

This property here?

Screenshot (2087).png

22 minutes ago, 123fakestreet said:

Yes

Interesting - WYFJ-FM's (99.9 FM) transmitter is on that property - hence the small broadcast tower. The station's FCC license is Ashland (so with the transmitter on Ownby, they're listed as Ashland/Richmond) - If they're putting the property up for sale, I'm guessing they're relocating their transmitter. Curious if their studios are in Ashland or at the Ownby location...

Given the growth of their neighborhood, I'm sure a developer will snap up the property and redevelop it with a residential building of some sort.