Capitol / Financial District / Shockoe Slip

whw53

42 minutes ago, Flood Zone said:

Monroe set to become a ghost town. State workers headed to Main Street Center,  among other places.  The article says the renovation cost for Monroe was $900M! Also, to anyone moving to the 22nd floor of MSC, pro tip from years and years ago: if anyone kicks on your window, it’s probably not a swat team but instead window washers.

Wow - $900M to renovate - that's insane. While they're considering demo'ing it, I'm heartened to hear that the state is publicly stating they'd also interested in selling the building. I'm betting if a big, deep-pocketed, out-of-state developer came in and bought it, the state could make a considerable amount of coin, even with the building in its current condition - AND - they'd save the $20 they'd have to spend to tear it down. As taxpayers, every Virginian should lobby hard for the state to sell the building and save the money.

A couple of notes - and an important takeaway from the article:

Monroe Building: my aunt worked in the Monroe tower from the time it opened until she retired in the mid 1980s. She worked for the state medical department, though I forget which particular sub-department she was in. Either way, she worked in that building.

Main Street Centre: I watched that building being constructed. I was a reporter for the Associated Press in the '80s and the Richmond Bureau was across 7th Street on the 13th floor of the 700 Building on the west side. I could look out the bureau windows to watch the construction THAT was a lot of fun and was VERY cool! Ironically, the Richmond bureau of the AP is now located in Main Street Centre.

OK - the takeaway from the story:

Turns out the state courts that will occupy the new tower that will replace the Pocahontas Building actually need MORE space than originally anticipated. Check this out from the Times-Dispatch article:

The state also will demolish the Pocahontas Building at 900 E. Main Street, which temporarily housed the General Assembly while its recently opened building was under construction. In its place, the state plans to build a new facility for the Supreme Court of Virginia and the Virginia Court of Appeals. 

But the design of the new court building is changing, McDermid said, as the court realized it needs more space. A final cost and construction schedule have not been set. 

That makes me wonder if we'll see a slightly TALLER version of this building because there's nowhere for it to expand but vertically.

Here's hoping!

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Flood Zone said:

Monroe set to become a ghost town. State workers headed to Main Street Center,  among other places.  The article says the renovation cost for Monroe was $900M! Also, to anyone moving to the 22nd floor of MSC, pro tip from years and years ago: if anyone kicks on your window, it’s probably not a swat team but instead window washers.

$900M???  Sounds a just a tad bit over inflated.  Perhaps to make a point to sell it?

• Like 4

I don't see this ending any other way than demoing the building, and it's not a great space right there next to the interstate. Especially when the former dominion lot is wide open, or plenty of other lots in Monroe Ward. Unfortunately I think we'll just have another hole in the city for 20 years.

• Sad 2

22 hours ago, 123fakestreet said:

I don't see this ending any other way than demoing the building

Regardless of the veracity of the $900M figure (and I'm not the one to judge that!), the one thing that's undeniable is that Monroe is in abysmal shape. I don't think anyone is turning it into apartments, for instance. Its one positive attribute is its height, but, to be honest, we value that on this board way more than most out there would.  Which means either it's going to become the world's tallest storage facility, or it's coming down.

1 hour ago, Flood Zone said:

Regardless of the veracity of the $900M figure (and I'm not the one to judge that!), the one thing that's undeniable is that Monroe is in abysmal shape. I don't think anyone is turning it into apartments, for instance. Its one positive attribute is its height, but, to be honest, we value that on this board way more than most out there would.  Which means either it's going to become the world's tallest storage facility, or it's coming down.

Just to be a feathure that sticks out - I think it's one of the ugliest buildings we have. Waste of space along with horrible use of space - cutting the corners out of the building design for what reason? Does nothing but kill the view from the inside and adds more of a concrete look from the outside.

Classic 60s/70s/80s architecture full of concrete and no creativity. And, of course, tons of toxins. 

You couldn't pay me to live in that asbestos floating nightmare. Talk on the street among state employees is that long term employees who worked in that building are complaining about health issues related to the toxins working there 30+ years. No thank you. 

I say good riddance. 

Edited by ancientcarpenter

1 hour ago, ancientcarpenter said:

Waste of space along with horrible use of space - cutting the corners out of the building design for what reason? Does nothing but kill the view from the inside and adds more of a concrete look from the outside.

I've always hated that. Pretty sure it was some "no one gets a corner office" workplace equality type thing.  Which is stupid, part of the benefit of working your way up the ladder is getting the corner office. As if state employees' pay and working conditions aren't bad enough, let's take that away from them too! Could have at least made the space common areas or conference rooms if it was that big of an issue, but no, nobody gets any view at all. Stupid and makes the building ugly from the exterior as well. Won't be a fan of the hole in the skyline, but other than that- bring it down!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, 123fakestreet said:

I've always hated that. Pretty sure it was some "no one gets a corner office" workplace equality type thing.  Which is stupid, part of the benefit of working your way up the ladder is getting the corner office. As if state employees' pay and working conditions aren't bad enough, let's take that away from them too! Could have at least made the space common areas or conference rooms if it was that big of an issue, but no, nobody gets any view at all. Stupid and makes the building ugly from the exterior as well. Won't be a fan of the hole in the skyline, but other than that- bring it down!

What's sad is -- once that hole in the skyline comes to pass, it will never - EVER - get filled. Mark my words.

Okay - I noticed something somewhat odd and certainly interesting. Looks like some kind of portable "crane" was visible downtown - my best guess would be somewhere in the vicinity of 6th and Franklin (just guessing). Is there anything going on with that old parking garage building that's being taken down to be replaced by the nine (it's really 10) story apartment building?

What's weird is the "crane" materialized for a few hours today (I don't remember when I first saw it) -- and then it disappeared. I snapped a screen shot of the TV-8 weather cam at about 2:40 EST - and then another screen shot around 5:20 EST. So - my guess is whatever this is was up during the afternoon. I don't recall seeing it in the morning.

Anyone know what might be going on downtown?

FIRST SCREEN SHOT - approx. 2:40 EST

Screenshot (3899).jpg

SECOND SCREEN SHOT - approx. 5:20 EST

Screenshot (3900).jpg

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2

On 1/28/2024 at 4:58 PM, I miss RVA said:

Okay - I noticed something somewhat odd and certainly interesting. Looks like some kind of portable "crane" was visible downtown - my best guess would be somewhere in the vicinity of 6th and Franklin (just guessing). Is there anything going on with that old parking garage building that's being taken down to be replaced by the nine (it's really 10) story apartment building?

What's weird is the "crane" materialized for a few hours today (I don't remember when I first saw it) -- and then it disappeared. I snapped a screen shot of the TV-8 weather cam at about 2:40 EST - and then another screen shot around 5:20 EST. So - my guess is whatever this is was up during the afternoon. I don't recall seeing it in the morning.

Screenshot (3899).jpg

Screenshot (3900).jpg

So - just following up: anyone have an idea what the mystery "crane" (or whatever it was) happened to be, where it was and why it was there? Perhaps this was associated with the soon-to-be-demo'd parking garage building at 6th and Franklin?

And just like that...this happens..

Gov, Dems vie for control of Department of General Services (richmond.com)

But McDermid acknowledged to legislators earlier this month that the administration had mistakenly not proposed to amend the state budget to eliminate the requirement that it begin planning for a new building. The requirement remains in the budget that Youngkin introduced in December.

• Thanks 1

Seems like there's plenty of space already to redistribute office workers around the square or elsewhere. Better to dispense of this parcel - great opportunity for new high density residential or mixed use. 

• Like 3

On 1/28/2024 at 5:58 PM, I miss RVA said:

Screenshot (3899).jpg

Screenshot (3900).jpg

It appeared to be HVAC replacement on the Theatre Row building, when I drove by the other day.

• Thanks 2