The Nashville I Remember

Baronakim

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, Baronakim said:

.404833505_AerialofCBDlookingwest1964x.jpg.95a3f8746591aad1020a1d9f1ba9f9d1.jpg.299e030e76334c421e2e2bd1ff147eeb.jpg

That's just a huge shame. And I've heard about the National Life buildings that were amazingly ornate, not to mention the site of the founding of the Grand Ole Opry.  Glad the Hermitage wasn't demolished. This photo causes me to wonder about the lobby of the Jackson Hotel. Seems we can find lots of photos of the outside but none of the lobby. Was it anything as nice as the Hermitage?

Also, in the photo above, there is a rather large mid-century (4-5 stories) building that fronts Union Street and sits in the same block as the Jackson and it has a parking deck behind it that stretches all the way over to Deaderick. What was in that building? 

8 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

That's just a huge shame. And I've heard about the National Life buildings that were amazingly ornate, not to mention the site of the founding of the Grand Ole Opry.  Glad the Hermitage wasn't demolished. This photo causes me to wonder about the lobby of the Jackson Hotel. Seems we can find lots of photos of the outside but none of the lobby. Was it anything as nice as the Hermitage?

Also, in the photo above, there is a rather large mid-century (4-5 stories) building that fronts Union Street and sits in the same block as the Jackson and it has a parking deck behind it that stretches all the way over to Deaderick. What was in that building? 

That would've been the Montgomery Ward Department Store at 5th & Union. I can't seem to locate any photos for it.

• Thanks 1

Not much thought of saving much of anything in those days. This would have been about the time the folks in Denver started  their historic preservation plan to save their historic buildings. A Tale of Two Cities I suppose.  Metro always tries to study other cities but never learns anything and the voters here are fickle wanting their cake and to eat it too. 

Nashville continues to be on the back side of things. The leaders here never seem to be able to wrap their minds around anything that is new rather it is saving something old or a progressive transit plan. The city seems to always be the laughing stock of other cities (lack of mask on Broadway & Transportainment, unfit mayors {Boner & Barry})but somehow seems to succeed despite itself. The conservative leadership of old was too liberal (Historic Preservation) and the liberal leadership has been too conservative on the issues that matter (building height, transportation, zoning etc.)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Baronakim said:

The Morris Memorial Building is the only survivor of the overwhelming demolition of the 1960s & 1970s at this end of 4th Avenue N.  Of the buildings on the West side of 4th Avenue N. there is little photographic  documentation except that of the corner building on the left and a photo of part of the same building looking east down Charlotte on the right side of the photo

The owners wanted to butcher that building by adding a glass tower atop it.

Just think if we had just half of these older buildings that have been torn down. 

22 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Wow!  That explains a lot to me about where the "old" city went. Those two early 'towers' were absolute gems.  And I know about the National Life buildings that were destroyed.  [smh] Urban Renewal really did more harm than good.

Even the lesser buildings were irreplaceable gems. :(

• Like 1
  • Sad 1